“magmatrek” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 4 Attractions in Stromboli
Type: Hiking Trails, Outdoors
More attraction details
Owner description: The Vulcano a Piedi, organizes excursions on Stromboli volcano, and promotes the knowledge of the entire Aeolian archipelago.There is no sight more fascinating than that of an active volcano, a small dot on the map where the land glimpses of what happens in the ever-raging forge hidden inside it.Following the paths that meander along its slopes you will admire spectacular volcanic events, surrounded by wonderful natural landscapes you will enjoy beautiful panoramic views.
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
“magmatrek”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

seen a few negative reviews of the hiking guides on here. I've just returned from sicily were me and my son hiked up to stromboli summit.
it is a fairly strenuous climb, but I'm 41, overweight, smoker of 20 cigarettes a day for years and I never exercise and I made it :-) Our guide was Lorenzo from magmatrek, I thought he was a very good guide, speaking fluent English and French and giving info on the volcano as we went and answering every question. He saw that one member of our group was struggling a little, and stopped to let catch up and gave his walking pole to them. I'm glad to say we all made it up the volcano, I was definately the unhealthiest member of the group and jelly sweets and red bull helped me to the summit. do whatever works for you. if you really feel you can't make it, then it's probably best to give up below 500 metres where you can safely make it back on your own. the boulders above this are sharp and loose
. Yes the pace may seem quick, and between 250 metres and 500 metres I thought I was going to die but just keep plugging away! (that part seemed the hardest to me) maybe it's best if you are worried about keeping up to walk directly behind your guide as they walk at a steady pace, if you fall behind to the back of the group you have to keep stopping as you zig zag up the volcano.
very pleased with magma trek, after all you pay to be guided up a volcano safely, nothing else.
there's probably a bit of friendly rivalry going on between guides to get groups to the summit, but that's life. The reward of the summit makes it all worthwhile.
met 2 great fellow hikers, Peter from Northamptonshire and Jurgen from Germany on our climb.
all in all, Great experience and I might have even lost a little weight. Stromboli wasn't overly active but we saw amazing views and sunset, some explosions, plenty of rumbling, and showered in a fine ash, all contributing to the experience.. pity, as the night before we went to the scoria on a boat and it was constant activity.
the descent was fast, but that's the only way it can be going down a 45 degree slope of deep sand and I wouldn't want to be hanging around that slope in any case due to possible rocks coming at you, you can't see them in the dark!, after the slope there are fairly good paths right back to the village..
25€ is a reasonable price. considering I paid nearly a 5th of that for a coka cola

Colne, United Kingdom
23 attraction reviews
“Great Volcano but abusive guldes”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

We went with a company called Il Vulcano a Piedi. We were told to be back at the office at 4pm. Due to a dodgy pizza l had to run back to the room. When I caught up at 4.03pm the group had set off at 3. 50 pm and my partner was being dragged up the hill by her arm which left her bruised and upset. The guide also walked very quickly both up and down the hill leaving some people far behind. At least five of our group stumbled due to the pace.

The volcano was wonderful but please be careful who you choose as your guides.

Jamestown, Rhode Island
“Choose a good excursion company!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

In reading previous reviews of the excursion to climb the Stromboli volcano, it wasn't entirely clear that there are multiple companies that organize excursions. Make sure you choose a good company! Unfortunately, at the recommendation of our hotel, we selected Il Volcano a Piedi on via Roma (Stromboli). A hike up Stromboli volcano should be a highlight of any visit to the Aeolian Island with great views of an active volcano and the sea and other islands around Stromboli, instead we felt as though we had entered some sort of alpine race. To begin with, the excursion left the base late, the hike was very fast-paced with very few breaks (despite our guides saying there would be breaks every 15 to 20 minutes), when we reached the crater area at about 19:40 the volcano was only mildly active (obviously this was not Il Volcano a Piedi fault just poor luck), after about 30 minutes at the crater we descended the volcano in the dark, again at a face pace, while one of the guides yelled at us to go faster than we felt comfortable with (given it was completely dark and the footing consisted of loose volcanic black sand), and, to the guide's credit (ironically), we arrived back at their base early (about 21:45). At one point during the descent, one of the guides grabbed my wife's arm and pushed her along down the slope to accelerate her descent. Both my wife and I perform aerobic exercise on a regular basis (i.e., 4-5 times a week) and we still found this excursion to be rushed without the opportunity to stop and take photographs or enjoy the experience. Further, there was very little information told to us about the volcano. Instead the guides seemed to want to conduct the excursion as quickly and in as an uniformed fashion as possible - which may appeal to some hikers. Other reviews of excursion to the Stromboli crater report that Magmatrek is a good, civilized alternative to the fast-paced approach of Il Volcano a Piedi. Also, on the island of Vulcano, you can make the climb to the big crater independently. This volcano is about 400 meters rather than the 900 meters of Stromboli but the views are excellent and the crater with its sulfur smelling vents billowing away is a very impressive site.

Lux
“Interesting, but...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Climbing up the mountain to see the active volcano is definitely an experience not to miss. The views from up there are really worth it !
Pity that the whole visit has turned into a pure commercial activity. 25 EUR to be part of one of the numerous groups departing +/- at the same time ; very strict schedule for climbing up and coming down (because the next group is queuing for the panorama !).
We were also unlucky to have Mario Zaia (from Magmatrek) a a guide. Avoid him, if possible!
Impolite, unrespectul towards tourists, impatient with people who cannot cope with the climbing rhythm imposed. And incapable to give the slightest explanation into any other language but Italian (fortunately we speak Italian ourselves).

Visited July 2013
London
6 attraction reviews
“Magnatrek tour was excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Pauldo our guide spoke excellent English and did a good job of keeping the group together at an even pace.We had 16 in our group which was fine
I am not really fit and don't do regular exercise apart from walking the dog and cycling every now and then to work - and I found it just the right level of difficulty. Every time Pauldo said let's rest ( about every 250 metres up or every 30 minutes) Iwas grateful but ready to go again after 5 mins rest. This is not an easy hike but so worth itat the top - the noise of the volcano sputtering out lava and smoke is fantastic as well as the sights.
Things to take: at least one change of t shirt , a windbreaker or a fleece ( you don't need both), 1.5 litres each person water,boots,torch,and long socks or better still ski gaiters to stop sand going into your feet on the way down.
The way down is fast (perhaps a little too fast for my knees) - if i did it again I would get the sticks to protect your knees
Pizza at bottom In the square was excellent with charming and busy service - beer tasted betterthanever!
A lifetime memory