“Fine hotel on the edge of town next to Roman Theater” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Dei Duchi
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Viale G. Matteotti, 4, 06049 Spoleto, Italy   |
Ranked #4 of 31 Hotels in Spoleto
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
“Fine hotel on the edge of town next to Roman Theater”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

The hotel is on the edge of the city centre next to the Roman Theatre , in summer part of the famous festival. The hotel is overlooking a small valley and is very quiet. There is a private car park which may fill up quickly.

My room was nice with a desk, flat screen TV and a clean bathroom with a shower..

Free WiFi internet worked well with sufficient speed for streaming media.

The breakfast buffet was typical Italian with lots of sweets and pastries but also some bread,ham, cheese, yoghurt, etc. Coffee is made to order. The view from the breakfast room over the valley is nice.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
forked river, nj
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

We stayed four nights at this hotel during our visit to Spoleto. What a great location! It's in the upper town and a few steps away from the center with a parking lot. The hotel is very nice and the breakfast was the best during our 17 day trip through Italy. The beds are comfortable and the staff cordial. A very good price for a hotel of such standards and again.....location!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Kingston upon Thames, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Spoleto in a great place to start exploring Southern Umbria and the Hotel Dei Duchi is a fantastic place to stay. It is a relatively modern hotel compared to many of the older ones in the town but its ideal situation, at the top of the town with wonderful far reaching views over a gardens and a very pretty valley, means it is quiet. The rooms are large and well furnished and very comfortable and restful. The breakfast really must have been one of the best buffet breakfasts we have ever enjoyed. An unbelievable and generous variety of fruits, juices, cheeses, hams, breads, cakes and preserves. I could go on! All the staff were very friendly, kind and welcoming. Thank you!
It is also a conference hotel, and if booking, you be aware of this. When we stayed it was not full. We would certainly return. PS - there really is parking available!

Room Tip: I booked a junior suite which was very good value. Although there is a small road outside which can...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

On our arrival at the town of Spoleto we decided to try the first hotel with a car park we came across for our one night's stay. I have no idea if all the hotels in Spoleto are as lovely as this, but we felt welcomed from the start when someone arrived to help to take our luggage to our room. He was so friendly and chatted all the time as we checked in. Our room was beautiful, comfortable and tranquil with a view over the surrounding countryside.

We dined in the hotel's restaurant, taking advantage of their set meal of local cuisine and it too was perfect, in the dining room with a view. We enjoyed our breakfast after a quiet night and hope that our future visits to Italy can include this great hotel. We'd love to return.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Lincolnton, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

This place was perfect. I loved every minute of my stay. The best surprise when I arrived...I had paid for what I thought was the cheapest room and it came with a balcony and a breathtaking view. It does turn out that there are some cheaper rooms downstairs in the 'basement' (it is not really a basement as it is not underground); these have windows but no balcony. There also do not seem to be very many rooms with balconies, but there is a terrace accessed from the first floor (That is the second floor to Americans). It has a fantastic location for exploring this lovely hilltop town of Spoleto. It is right next door to a Roman amphitheater and a park. At night, the park was playing a movie. It was lovely. (BTW, I left my balcony doors open several nights and it was perfectly quiet enough to sleep later at night. I also closed them a few nights and I couldn't hear anything outside.) Just a few steps away is the post office and a few more steps to Piazza della Liberta. In Piazza della Liberta, you will find a couple little cafes and a tourist office with very helpful people. Really, everything in Spoleto is within walking distance from the hotel. If you don't feel like walking, though, the hotel has two great pluses: 1) it has its own parking lot, and 2) there is a bus stop just a few steps away. I didn't have a car during my stay. I only used the bus twice, to and from the train station. It was very easy and convenient.

The entire staff was friendly and helpful. There was one technical problem with the toilet one day that was fixed immediately. The room was kept spotless by the lovely cleaning ladies. The people at the desk were always helpful when asked any questions. As with most places, the people make the biggest difference.

The food was fantastic from the included amazing breakfast in the dining room overlooking the beautiful hills to the lunch and dinner I enjoyed in the garden. I would definitely eat at the restaurant again.

Ok, I'm getting too long-winded now...a few technical things before I quit writing. Despite the fact that I left the balcony doors open a couple nights, there is air conditioning; it was lovely. I'm glad I changed hotels from one that was near Piazza Garibaldi; I walked by it and it looked nice, but there are a lot more people and tourists around Garibaldi. It seemed much quieter near Liberta. Also, Piazza della Mercato is nice with more restaurants and closer to Liberta. As a semi-solo traveler (I was solo, but I went to Spoleto because a friend was working there), dei Duchi, and really all of Spoleto, felt very safe. Since my friend was working a couple of nights, I went walking around Spoleto alone. Even walking around at midnight in the upper part of town I never felt unsafe.

I loved this place and people. If I ever have the good fortune to return to Spoleto, I will most definitely stay at dei Duchi.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

A clean, comfortable, quiet room; an ample breakfast in a dining room with spectacular views; a location at the head of the Corso in the historic district -- with an actual Roman amphitheater right next door, visible from the patio dining area; and a staff that is more attentive than any I can remember elsewhere. How can this be beat?

• Stayed July 2013
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

I just spent another 2 weeks at this excellent hotel located in the Historic Center of Spoleto, a block from the tourist office, and in the heart of this most charming medieval hilltop town. This is now the 4th year that dei Duchi is our hotel of choice for our 12 day summer program. All my program participants, all 45 of them had an extraordinary experience at this hotel. Tullia and her professional staff did not disappoint, and made our stay in Umbria a memorable one. The breakfast buffet is bountiful; the wait staff's attention to detail is impeccable, not to mention the breakfast room's incredible view of the rolling hills of Umbria. The hotel's garden is a perfect place to have dinner; the lobby and bar area great to have a lovely conversation with friends. Restaurant is fantastic and food is exquisite - had several meals there. Thank you, Hotel dei Duchi for once again being extraordinary! We look forward to coming back next year!

Room Tip: While the views facing the hills are stunning, rooms facing the garden are slightly more secluded...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Dei Duchi? Share your experiences!