“Fine Restaurant” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
San Juan, Puerto Rico
“Fine Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

The owner took care of us personally, the food was fine and the place was elegant. It was a cut above the other places in town that we tried. I can only fault it for the American background music that was being played. When we inquired why no Italian music was being played it was switched to classical.

• Visited April 2013

Toronto, Canada
“Wonderful restaurant in every way”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

I had dinner at II Tartufo two days ago, and the experience was wonderful in every way.
First, the look and feel of the place -- elegant looking but very relaxed and unpretentious.
Second, the great service and winning personality of the owner -- I had a long discussion with him about the food and the wine, and he recommended two wines for me, one for each course since the wine for the pasta with truffles was too strong for the stuffied zucchini. He brought me the first glass of wine and then poured the second wine, a red, in order to allow it to breathe before I was ready for it. I have eaten in a lot of restaurants, and this kind of care is very rare. Furthermore, when I told him that I had liked the red wine, he immediately got the bottle and poured me another half glass. He had a winning personality and made me feel very comfortable. In addition, I could see the kind of person he was by how he interacted with the other people dining at the same time.
Third, the food was fantastic. As an antipasto, I had the stuffed zucchini blossoms. The first bite made it clear that I had struck gold. The taste was rich, sophisticated and totally satisfying, I ate the sauce that was left with a roll, since it was too good to leave even a drop on the plate. The second course, noodles with porcini mushrooms and truffles was equally delicious. The price was high, but truffles are not cheap -- and there was a goodly amount of truffle in the pasta, not just in the sauce but scattered over the pasta.
Altogether a first rate experience in every way. I have been to Italy many times and eaten in many restaurants in many cities. Il Tartufo is one of the best that i have eaten in, and not just because of the food. One can get good food but not made to feel welcome and cared for. Paolo di Marco, the owner, provided more than fine food; and I would return without hesitation.

• Visited October 2012
Miami, Florida
“An ordinary meal”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

We had lunch here and had a disappointing meal. The dining room is pretty but the food did not live up to the ambiance. Service was fine and pleasant. The stuffed zucchini blossoms were dull and overly rich with no distinctive taste. The cod fillet was alright but just alright. The boiled eggs in wine with some truffles was the best of the food. A carafe of Rossi wine was okay. I wouldn't recommend the restaurant at these prices or at all. We had expectations of a good to memorable meal and that did not occur.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Acquasparta, Italy
“Typical Umbrian food with a twist and a flare AND PARKING NEARBY!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

I can begin by saying that I have, for 23 years, been in Umbria and own a home there. (We are from California, USA. ) So, we often get tired of most all restaurants in these lovely hilltowns serving virtually the same food--some great, some not so great, but seldom a varied menu. This restaurant is a cut above and offers typical Umbrian food with a twist and a flare. Also, you can dine inside which is very cozy, yet elegant. Or, you can dine outside which offers a quiet, quaint piazza setting AND there is PARKING within a short, flat walking distance--not so easy to find in any Umbrian hill town.

I should also add that so many restaurants come and go. This one has survived since 1927 and that says a lot! That is, local people support it too. Trust me, local Italians are hard to please when it comes to food and spend their money wisely.

So, try it and we hope you enjoy it. We do.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dublin, Ireland
“ahhhh...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

We had been up to the fortress and it was mid Sunday afternoon .We were in need of food and Il Tartufo was there in the piazza.We were the only customers but after being shown to our table and presented with the menu.Geraldine decided we should stick with the Umbrian menu.

The courses were well presented the Tagitelli was excellent but what a surprise for the main course Pork done in Fennel just ..devine a sister in law of mine would say to die for.Our dessert was a simple cake that was beautiful.We had no wine as we had more to see in the town.

Cannot recommend this place high enough go and visit and enjoy .

• Visited August 2012