“Felt let down” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 23 Hotels in Sestri Levante
NE England
“Felt let down”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

We stayed here for a week and at first was impressed with the hotel. The room on the 3rd floor was very nice, facing the public park at the back of the hotel. It was a nice room and very quiet once it got dark and people left the park.
The hotel had a lovely garden with very nice garden furniture, but guests WEREN'T allowed to use it.WHY? We asked the tour guide, but she couldn't offer a valid explanation. The small pool on the roof wasn't used much because there were notices saying guests must use a towel for the chairs and beds. Hotel room towels must NOT be used,towels were available for 5 euros each towel.THE HOTEL WASN'T CHEAP, SO GUESTS FELT THIS WAS A PETTY RULE. We only had breakfast in the hotel - the coffee had no taste at all. Fresh fruit salad was on the menu, but only appeared twice after guests repeatedly asked for it. The breakfast room staff were offhand and miserable.
I wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: This hotel needs to look at what it offers guests. Let guests use the garden - offer free towels to...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Typical tourist hotel, very good location. Breakfasts very poor, buffet offers inka coffe, according to the information on the tables capuccino extra charge, but when we ordered such coffee for breakfast, the hotel didn't charge a fee ???!! Additionally,
parking cost 15 EUR/day, towels to the pool on the roof for an additional fee, on the beach across the street two beds and umbrella cost 35 EUR/day. Room service - not good. In fact, max. 3 stars hotel for the price of 5 stars, good hotel. I do not recommend.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

Unfortunately Trip Advisor only lets you pick dates up to 2011 but My family stayed at the Grande Albergo in June 2009. It was a very clean and nice hotel except for the Mosquitos. I had read reviews about the hotel and mosquitos but thought they were exagerating when they said there were blood smears on the walls. Unfortunately it is true. There were mosquitos even in the hallway. We did kill all the mosquitos but then when the cleaning ladies would clean the rooms, for some reason, they would open the windows. I think the mosquito problem may be because of a canal that runs across the street of the hotel down to the sea. I don't know if other hotels have the mosquito problem. I didn't see any in the lobby or breakfast room. My husband thought they may be coming from the air conditioner unit.Just bring Avon Skin So Soft Bug Guard spray. That's how I killed the mosquitos. Plus sprayed it on our bodies.
But we had a very nice junior suite room that had a sofa and a seperate bedroom but looking at the website now, it shows the junior suite with a bed where the sofa used to be. We had a view of the sea which was lovely. It's too bad we couldn't open the windows though for fear of the mosquitos. But when we took a walk by the sea at dusk, there were mosquitos there as well.
My daughter and mother-in-law's room had a view of the garden and the public park beyond. The rest of the hotel was really lovely. We had been traveling through Italy for about 2 weeks before staying in Sestri Levante and had good buffet breakfasts at the other hotels. The breakfast here was very good. When I went to take some of the bacon, the warming dish was empty so I asked the waiter. He said he would get me some. By the time he went to get some from the kitchen, the cook came and filled up the warming tray. I took some and went to my table. Sure enough, the waiter came back with a plate of bacon. I felt bad that I had already taken some from the buffet table after he took the time to get some for me. But I ate all of them.
I was looking for an area as our base to go to my husband's family's town of Comuneglia up in the moutains and saw pictures of Sestri Levante. It is as beautiful as the pictures.
For those who complained that you had to pay for the beach. I believe it may be that way with all the hotels. Luckily since it was towards the end of the day, we were charged only half price. I was surprised at how nice the lounge chairs were which included a table to put your drinks on and an umbrella and boardwalks so as not to walk on the hot sand and changing rooms.
I've never been to a beach in the U.S. that had all that. If you look at the website now, it does mention that the beach is an extra cost. I think the Brits complain more than Americans about things like this. We know we are on vacation and if it is a resort area, you are going to pay extra. The parking was a great plus and yes, you do have to pay extra. At least it was in a sucure area. Have you stayed in a hotel in England? talk about expensive. So don't complain about the cost of things in Italy.
The pool is o.k. but it was empty anyway. When you have a beautiful beach across the street why go to a pool?
For the price, it was a very good hotel. If you want more you are going to pay more and be up in the hills side not across from the sea as this hotel is. Reading reviews on the other hotels in this area, they all have good and bad things to say about them unless you are staying at one of the really expensive hotels up in the hills but then you will complain that you are too far away from the beach.
Hope to go to Sestri Levante again and will stay at the Grande Albergo again. Just make sure I bring my mosquito spray.

Room Tip: The rooms with a view of the gardens or the junior suite with a view of the sea
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

We spent 3 nights there in June and overall had a very pleasant stay. We really only used the hotel as a base to explore the surrounding region, so did not spend much time there. Only issue we had was that our booking request stated "must have an ocean view" and we were given a garden view room despit booking 6 months in advance. The hotel was full so this couldn't be remedied on the first night, but they did move us to a sea view room for the next 2 nights. Rooms were very clean and comfortable, in typical Italian style - no Hilton or Crown Plaza, but we pretty much got what we expected for the area. Staff were very friendly and helpful and the night clerk who checked us out on the last day as we had an early train to catch, offered and made me a coffee from the staff machine behind the counter as we had to leave before the breakfast room opened. THERE WAS FREE WI-FI contrary to a previous review. You just had to ask reception for login details each day. Breakfast was very nice and served in a pleasant room. We had a look at the rooftop pool, which looked nice, although we didn't get round to using it. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

Might once have deserved its 4* rating but no longer does. Whilst the rooms are clean and well looked after (though a bit on the small side) other facilities are basic. There is a small pool on the roof but nothing else - no gym, no sauna. No wi-fi. Bar facilities were minimal (and pricy). Breakfast was a typical continental buffet - nothing exciting. Cannot comment on the evening meal as didn't sample it.

I understand that chunks of this property have been disposed of. Much of the accommodation has been sold off as apartments; the beach opposite, though retaining the name, is operated by another Company and has to be paid for; the garden cannot be accessed from the hotel during the day as it belongs to the local authority. At this rate there will soon be nothing left. I, for one, will shed no tears.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

Perfect location right on the beach! Great view from the roof top pool. We got rooms very far from each other even though we had requested connecting doors and booked a month in advance. The rooms ver clean, plain and very Italian... The breakfast was ok but nothing extra... The elevators were very slow. We had to use the stairs instead. Still we had a pleasant stay and would probably came back! :)

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Oxford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

EXTRA COST - NOT MENTIONED ON HOTEL WEBSITE - Private Beach (on which you are constantly bombarded with people trying to sell you crap or give you a massage) - 18 Euro's for 2 sun loungers (which are most uncomfortable and a parasol) in the week / 24 Euro's at the weekend.
EXTRA COST - NOT MENTIONED ON HOTEL WEBSITE - Beach/Pool Towels - 10 Euro depost and then 5 Euro's for each towel change!
EXTRA COST - Car Park - 15 Euro's a nights (more expensive than other hotels)

So, I booked 2 single rooms last November. I asked for the rooms to be on the same floor. On arrival, I was told I would be in one room for that night and would then have to change.

Both rooms were really dingy - I complained - there was 'nothing they could do'. Being unable to challenge further, we had to stick it out but felt most aggrieved about the whole thing.

We ventured over to the 'Private Beach' at around 4pm (it closes at 7pm) - Mr 'I'm too Cool to be Cool' beach man tried charging us a full day, but then 'did us a favour' and let us have the beds for free.

Next day - Sinora 'Unhelpful' took our money and had us escorted to rubbish beds. I complained and was told they could offer nothing else as all the other beds were 'reserved'. I perservered and after showing us a few other locations, eventually they took us from beds at the furthest away from the sea to E1 right at the waterfront!

We were also told that beds are normally reserved - something which the hotel website also doesn't tell you - so we made sure we reserved for the rest of our stay!

I've read other entries about this hotel, unfortunately after booking. Some referred to the poor continental breakfast - it was actually alright. The only complaint I would have is that we were are captive inside, no access to sitting outside on a wonderfully warm, sunny day - which is why most of have gone there surely?!

But, Sestre Levante itself and the surrounding area is lovely. Make sure to miander off into the back streets, as there are lots of little gems to find - bars, places to eat, boutiques etc.

The train station is very handy, reliable and cheap. For aroudn 4 Euro's return, It takes you to Rapallo which is a bit livlier, then onto St Margheritta, from where you have access to Porto Fino.

I've been before and stayed at Grand Villa Balbi, another 4* just along (I couldn't get in this time) - far superior, what you would expect from a 4* hotel.

We would never stay there again

Room Tip: Don't book one here!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Grande Albergo Sestri Levante? Share your experiences!