“Great food and local colour” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Eclectic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Toronto, Ontario
“Great food and local colour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012 via mobile

We were staying at the Millcroft Inn and thought we'd try something different for dinner. This little place is just down the street and on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights they have live music.

We didn't have a reservation but they accommodated us in the bar which was great because we could watch the chefs at work in the open kitchen. The day's specials are on a chalkboard and things disappear from it through the evening. Everything is prepared fresh and much of the produce comes from their kitchen garden in the back yard. The risotto with fresh- picked Swiss chard was delicious.

They also had a very good wine selection service was great, well-timed, unobtrusive and we thoroughly enjoyed this as a change from the Inn's selections.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Extremely poor service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

We have been here many times and always slow service.
Tonight was the last time we will ever go
We arrived at 6:15, empty tables but the dining room was full due to reservations. As we were inquiring about the patio, the waitress was on the phone and told us to hurry up and decide if we wanted the patio or the lone table in the dining room because there was someone on the phone who wanted the table. We opted for an empty patio.
The waitress took our drink order and was quick. We were told that the menus were inside and the waitress went back in. We sat patiently waiting for the menu to come out - until 6:35. I decided to go in to see what was taking so long. There were two blackboard menus - one being looked at and the other was just sitting there around another table whom appeared to have finished looking at it. I tried to read the menu around the people but was unable to. I felt very uncomfortable standing at another table staring at the menu while they stare at me wondering what I'm doing. I went back outside as sat down waiting. Now it is 6:45 and the waitress comes out and says that the menus are still in use (keep in mind that this is now 30 minutes after we arrived). We decide to pay for the iced tea and find something else. The waitress tried to pull every excuse that she could from we didnt have reservations to it takes people 30 mins to read a menu. I the patio was full would they make everyone come mill around someone else's table to view the menu? We were told no. So why does that make it okay for us to have to go in? We are paying customers reservation or not. I'm not pleased and will tell everyone my horrible experience. Never again will I go to that restaurant because of the absolutely horrible service.

Milton
“friendly place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

We had a Birthday party for Dad 70 years old now. Server was very pleasant to him and patient. The food took a while but after tasting it was well worth the wait. This part made my fathers night, the server spoke french to my cousin and came out with a yummy cupcake with a candle and sang to my father and hugged him. He was thrilled to say the least. Everything was cooked perfect. On the way out a big wave from the cooks and walked to the door by the server. Great time. Be back

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Buffalo, New York
“delicious bakery”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

We ate lunch there and had potpies, which were homemade and delicious salad.
We went back the next day to get butter tarts and bisquits with currants to take to my parents, since we can't find those in the US.

Visited June 2012
Ontario
“Good food, great service.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

We walked to this little gem on our way from Millcroft to explore. The food was great, the patio out back was cozy and the service was friendly. We purchased some baked goods and they were delicious.

Visited June 2012