“Relaxed beachfront room with a view” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hotel de Rose

You added Grand Hotel de Rose to your Saves list
Grand Hotel de Rose
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Lungomare Mediterraneo | At Strada Marina, 87029 Scalea, Italy   |
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Scalea
“Relaxed beachfront room with a view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

My partner and I spent two beautiful days overlooking the Mediterranean. The rooms were clean and airy. It's a thirty second walk to the beach or to the pool. We also were minutes from the old town.

The staff was very helpful; breakfast was decent.

Room Tip: Spend the extra for the room with a view
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Sverige
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012 via mobile

Stayed two nights. The hotel has seen better days of glory.
The room was old and outdated. The view from the balcony was great and the hotel location.
The pool area looked good but we did not use it and no one what we saw. Breakfast was ok but no more.

The service was ok until it came time to pay. We tried to pay with 4 different credit cards with no success. That happens sometimes, that you can not reach the bank. My wife had to wait at the hotel while I fetched the money from an ATM in town with one of the cards that "had not" worked. From the moment we tried to start paying we were met with great suspicion, as if we were trying to trick them. We were surprised by their non-professional conduct.

If you decide to stay in this area you must eat at Ristorante Vigri. Great food!

Stayed July 2011
Melbourne
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

We stayed at the hotel for one night on our way to Sicily. Our welcome at the front desk left a lot to be desired - the staff were unfriendly and only one any English at all, and even this was very limited. The room was dark and outdated. The towels were the worst we've ever had to use in a hotel. The selection of food at breakfast was extremely limited and uninteresting. In short, I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Greater Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2010

I have travelled to Italy on many occasions and love the 'less touristy' places. Having visited Calabria for the first time last year, I was so impressed that I decided to return again and explore further.

After searching the Internet, I came up with what seemed like another good destination and went for it. The town was Scalea, in Northern Calabria - Grand Hotel De Rose. I booked six nights, half board and requested a sea view room.

It was dark when I arrived but the room was lovely. Maybe not all 'mod cons', but pleasant with french windows and balcony However as it was dark at the time, I could see little apart from the lit-up promenade.

The following morning I woke to a lovely view of the beach and sea. The hotel grounds were lovely and breakfast was served in the garden terrace overlooking the sea. The selection was plentiful, including eggs and bacon, which was a nice change from just the continental. The staff were also pleasant. Not all spoke English, but as I speak a little Italian it was nice to put it to the test! Evening meal was served in the restaurant above which was decorated in typical Grand Hotel style. The food was delicious and for the price I paid for half board, I found it quite good value.

Scalea itself is mainly Italian speaking which suited me fine. It was lovely to get away from it all and escape from 'the English' for a while. The Calabrian people are lovely and were appreciative at my attempts to speak the language.

The beach under the hotel was lovely and so convenient. Sunbeds, deckchairs and umbrellas were included in the price of the hotel, which saved a lot of money over the course of a few days. The sea was lovely and clean, so much so, I hardly used the lovely hotel pool. Scalea town centre is quite small but the coastline stretches quite a distance. The nearby town of 'Diamante' is also worth a visit (2 stops by train).

All in all it was a lovely trip and again Calabria did not let me down. The coastline in the North of Calabria was as picturesque as the South. As in most regions of Italy, Scalea was safe and the way of life enviable.

I would recommend the Grand Hotel De Rose, if you are looking for a relaxing beach holiday,with good food, nice staff and approximately a fifteen minute walk to the town centre, along the promenade. I was made to feel welcome and would definitely return again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
cleveland, ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2007

Our family spent 3 days at this hotel. The rooms are very nice, the pool and beach area are beautiful. Dining service was very good.

No one at the front desk spoke English, which made communciation a little difficult. However, the waiters in the dining room spoke some English and provided good service.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Communication
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Grand Hotel de Rose? Share your experiences!