“Stay at Mami Camilla's for great food, wonderful hosts & chefs, fun - Italian family style, clean rms & good value!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mami Camilla

You added Mami Camilla to your Saves list
Mami Camilla
2.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Via Cocumella 4, 80065 Sant'Agnello, Italy   |
Ranked #9 of 20 Sant'Agnello B&B and Inns
Victoria, BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2009

Comments: My neice and I spent 3 lovely days at Mami Camilla's - the room was upstairs (no elevator) in what felt like a traditional Italian villa; beautiful, simple, but with all the necessities; very clean; balcony with nice view; awesome terrace outside of rm w/chairs and tables. The real treat is the excellent FOOD - dinners (18 euro/person)and large breakfast, served Italian family style in the main rooms downstairs, w/lovely terrace/patio out back; lemon and orange trees (fresh squeezed juice at breakfast) - lots of laughter and conversations at mealtimes, wines, and warm hospitality from the hosts - Chef Biagio, Mami Camilla, 2 lovely daughters, Chef Agostino, and server/wine expert, Francesco - who are all involved in running of the inn. A great experience which we would love to repeat....next time we'll take that trip to Capri w/ Chef Ago, and make time to fit in a cooking lesson! Thank you all!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2009

My wife gave me the wonderful gift of 4 weeks of the Mami Camilla intensive cooking course. I was somewhat apprehensive at first but everyone at Mami Camilla made me feel at ease and welcome. The course was taught by Agostino Longo a knowledgeable,happy,great chef and teacher. The room was quiet,clean,comfortable and functional. I would highly recommend Mami Camilla to anyone that wants to learn southern Italian cooking or just a place to stay and visit the area. The sad part of my trip was when I had to leave the 4 weeks seemed as if it ended before it started.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2008

If you are after a luxurious stay in Sorrento - this is not the place for you. If you are after a great EXPERIENCE in Sorrento - I could not recommend mami camilla's more highly.

The rooms are basic and rundown... but they were also clean, large, comfortable and functional. Ours had a heater/airconditioner, some nice bits of furniture (including a wardrobe and lounge), a reasonably sized bathroom, a cute view and a gorgeous ceiling. The bed itself was basic. We slept fine, but it was not overly comfortable.

Putting the ok accommodation aside, I knew we were in my version of heaven when we had an absolutely AMAZING dinner, which we could discuss with culinary students from around the world and the chef himself. Then we woke up the next morning for an AMAZING breakfast... including fresh orange juice, coffee and dessert.

We also participated in a tour of the Amalfi coast in a luxurious coach and with a great guide.

We booked a winter package through the website which was FANTASTIC value and the best money I spent in Europe.

I have already recommended mami camilla to my friends and, if you are not too fussed about having the finest accommodation, I recommend it to other travelers too. I hope to be back!

• Liked — it's an experience, not just a place to stay
  • Disliked — tired rooms
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2008

Sorrento was a huge disappointment, however, Mami Camilla made up for it! The first thing I'd like to say is that this place has the best "bang for your buck" it's low cost with clean facilities, great food, fun tours and friendly staff.

We stayed in an awesome room that was in the back, it felt like our own bungalow because it was similar to a small cabin (but cleaner, modern and with an AC). We did have to walk in back of the main building through a dimly lit "garden" but it was safe. Mami camilla grows all of there veggies and fruits and you can see them throughout the property.

The best thing about this place is the food (since it doubles as a cooking school), you get a 4 course dinner for 18 euros. And a liter of wine for 3 euros. You can't beat the taste, quality and price anywhere else in sorrento. (The catch is you have to sign up in the main lobby by 6pm, day of.) If you're not staying here, I suggest you atleast, try the dinner here! Also, for 5 euro you get a buffet style breakfast of cured meats, eggs, cereal, toast/crossiont, milk, juices, yogurt, pastry (and I can't think of what else was there).

The 10 min walk into Sorrento is on an unfriendly pedestrian rode, however, there's not much to do there anyway... My boyfriend and I stayed here so that we could go to Capri without paying the high hotel prices. Mami Camilla does their own Capri tour and if you like to swim then I would highly suggest this tour. They take you SWIMMING IN all the grottos (white, red and the famous blue). Most tours, rather all of them take you in a boat around the island and all you get to do is peer in to each grotto. The tour guide is laid back and very accomdating. The only downside is that you spend only 2 hours on the island itself. Although capri is tiny, it's not enought time to check out Capri and then Anacapri.

I loved this place and the staff was helpful and friendly. I can see how if youre stuck without an AC in the middle of the summer this place would be a bad experience. You can always email them to make sure you get an AC. If you don't plan on staying here atleast check out their dinner and/or Tours!

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2008

This was a horrible experience for us. Seeing from some of the pictures, we don't know why they stuck us in this room. We had no A/C, no tv, no phone, horrible bathroom, hardly any lighting. The lights turn off all over the complex at night so it doesn't seem safe. This was more like spending a time in a cabin in the woods (in regards to the room).

The main room seems ok. Sounds like a good dinner, but we were disgusted by the hotel room. We booked it for two nights, but went to a different hotel the second night because we had absolutely no sleep the first night.

For the price of the hotel, it isn't worth it. Go to a different place please.

I had seen it was a three star hotel, there was no way it could be. It's a one star (2 at best).

• Liked — Absolutely nothing
  • Disliked — No A/C, bad bathroom, not comfortable, felt unsafe, not true to the pictures.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2008

We stayed here in August for 5 nights on our backpacking trip and it was very reasonably priced and relatively ok located. It is a 15 minute walk from the S Agnello train station.

Our room was a 6 bed dorm with bunk beds and it was clean. The bathrooms were not that clean and it seemed we shared the bathroom with the owner as well so we felt a little bit uncomfortable but there were two bathrooms so it wasnt too bad.

The rooms were very hot, no aircondiitoning and if you left the doors open you were eaten alive by mozzies so we bought a mozzie deterrant thing that let of an aroma they dont like.

I had the breakfast which was 5 euros which was nice, fruit, cereal, bread, left overs from the night before and juice.

The place was a 20 minute walk from Sorrento or a 10 minute bus journey.

Internet access was poor, the pc was very slow. It was relatively ok price to use however and there was only one pc. Most of the longstay guests had their own laptops and there was wifi,

I am not sure I would recommend this place again partly due to the noise made by other guests so nothi ng againt the hostel but just the other guests.

• Liked — locaiton
  • Disliked — no AC, noisy people
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Northumberland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2008

I stayed here with my husband and 18 year old son. We had a great time. This was a very different kind of holiday than we had ever had before, and it suited the whole family because there was something for all of us. Our rooms were lovely. They were basic if you expect TV, mini bar etc, because you don't get these, but the rooms were spotlessly clean and stylishly furnished. There was an adequate en-suite and air con, which we needed in August! We enjoyed eating each night with the other guests, and we met lots of people, from many countries. The guests were a wide range of ages, which especially suited our son who spent his evenings with the backpackers. The food was excellent - and try the 5euro wine because it's delicious! We enjoyed the cookery classes, but I felt that the groups were too big the week we were there, and we didn't get as much tuition as we would have liked. The boat trip to Capri was great fun, where there were only 10 people so we got lots of attention. Guiseppe is a superb host, he makes the whole holiday a joy - nothing is too much trouble for him! A very nice touch was the airport pick ups. Beware though, we were told that 'one of our drivers will pick you up'. We were wondering how much in tips we should give the taxi driver, only to realise that it was Biagio (the boss) - it would have been embarrasing to tip him! I will definitely return, and my son intends to return with his friends to stay in the backpackers hostel.

• Liked — The friendly service and personal attention
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Mami Camilla? Share your experiences!