“A MUST STAY HOTEL” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Crawford 61, 80065 Sant'Agnello, Italy   |
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Sant'Agnello
“A MUST STAY HOTEL”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

What can I say... This is one of the best hotels I have stayed in.
The staff were exceptional, nothing was too big of an ask! We stayed on the half board basis and there was a large variety of food for breaksfast, at times spoilt for choice, as for the evening meal, wow - the food was delicious and if like me you think "I'm on holiday I'll give it a go" I would highly recommend to do this, you wont be disappointed.
The rooms spotless and cleaned daily, free airconditioning, safe and fridge in room with no extra charge. Wifi and use of their computers €2.00 for the week.
The views from the roof terrace are incredible, we spent many an evening watching the sunset from up there.
Sorrento was easy accesible, either a nice 20 minute walk or the hotel have a free minibus running throughout the day, but bewarned, the traffic into Sorrento can be very slow at times, thus making the bus run slightly late.
On our departure, we had an early start, awaiting for us was a packed breakfast and a thankyou, its the little touches like this that make a holiday that little bit more special.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

While hotel itself is not bad, but it is just average. Rooms are small for a 4 star. The main drawback back was that it is far from Sorento. The front desk girl said its 20 minutes wall from Sorento, ok, i hope she was joking. They have a shuttle bus, that works on a schedule, i think every half an hour. Out of 4 Times we used it, it was late 3 Times. Once for half an hour. So, that was a major inconveniente, and we desided to cancell and stay there by one night.

But the main fault happened during breakfast. We stayed up late and I caught the last mi utes of breakfast. When I walked in there were still people there, and I sat at the table with no tunics on it. I was completely ignored, and no untencils were never brought. Servers acted like they didn't notice I was there. I took some bread, and tea, and boiled an egg. But not enough, sadly, and when I tried to peel it it broke in my hands, and basically ended up all liquids on my hands and plate. So everything was messed up by this undercooked egg. One of the servers threw a napkin at me so I could clean my hands. When got up to get more food, as mine was not edible, the serving area with food was completely empty. There was nothing left. No bread, nothing.
I couldn't believe my eyes. So, they saw me sitting there, and started cleaning up without even asking if I need anything!!. I looked at the clock, it was 10 minutes past 10. So they started cleaning exactly at 10, with a client sitting there, not even making a tiny effort to confirm with a client that she is done with food. That's really unspeakable.
They all wear very nice informs, and restaurant looks really nice but what isn't worth if the service is so terrible? I asked for bread and they brought few pieces from the kitche, but the whole impression was just awfull. I didn't even have time to bring some for my friend that was still sleeping in a room.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
hotelcaravel, Manager at Hotel Caravel Sorrento, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thanks for having shared your opinion on Tripadvisor. I would like to clarify that the Hotel is 1 kilometer far from Piazza Tasso, the center of Sorrento. It means that walking slowly is no more than 20 minutes. Our shuttle is very reliable but it can happen that coming back you could wait a short amount of time as sometimes in Sorrento there is plenty of traffic.

We are really sorry that you were not happy with the breakfast. The restaurant closes at 10.00am but this is the time that the restaurant staff ask you to arrive by, but until. If you were to arrive at 10am this is fine, and you can have your breakfast in a relaxed and leisurely fashion.

Regarding the boiled egg, we are sorry that it wasn’t boiled enough, that’s why we have a board that suggests guests to boil their own egg for at least 8 minutes.

Swansea, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

A lot of people rave about this hotel so my husband and I were really looking forward to our holiday, what a disappointment we had in some areas to begin with the staff need to go on a training course as how to be pleasant and acknowledge their guests, the reception staff never rose their heads when we passed, the restaurant manager was so unpleasant, he gave the impression that it was above him to speak to us the only time he spoke to us in the 7 days we stayed there was the first evening when he showed us to our table, the rest of the time he would pass us and look right through us, he is the most ignorant man I have ever encountered, on the second day I accidently sat on the wrong table, I thought I was going to be shot at dawn!!!! they made us move all our food off the table to the next table which was supposed to be ours, the food wasn't up to standard it was very bland and if you didn't like pork, fish or stew well you would starve, the breakfast was the same every day, they charged for every little thing they could ie: kettle for tea in the room, towels at the pool, water with your food, the free internet they advertise is 2 euros!!! the bath water trickled out of the taps, the room got very warm as the air con wasn't strong enough. On the positive the hotel was very clean and the grounds were kept nice as was the pool area.

Dear Guest,

Thanks for having shared your opinion on Tripadvisor. I am very sorry to hear that you thought the staff of Hotel Caravel are rude ! Considering that the majority of our guests say that this is one of the most friendly hotels they have stayed in and that this is what will bring them to re-book the hotel in the future, this comes to a surprise to us.

The reception staff are always smiling and take care of all the requests of our guests. We receive also many compliments for the restaurant staff, and I am sorry if you think that the Restaurant Manager asked you to move to another table, sincerely it doesn’t seem something so bad.

The food is regional and international, with plenty of choice between all meats, fish, seafood, soups, vegetarian dishes and local dishes. Bottles of water are charged in every restaurant in the world. If asking for chilled tap water (which is safe to drink) the waiter would be pleased to bring you jugs for free of course.

Anyway please accept our apologies if the Hotel was under your expectation

nn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Two adults + 1 ten-year-old. We booked based on good reports from friends + tripadvisor reviews. The hotel is a clever combination of friendly staff and a very proffesional approach to their work. We went for the food (quality rather than quantity - but it excelled on both counts). It was a real dilemma: eat in hotel or in a restaurant in Sorrento. The quality of the hotel food was excellent - quality ingredients every time. I didn't realise how much Neapolitans eat! We (tried) to squeeze in lunch in town and dinner in hotel. Ten-year-old had to have gelato daily (how could mam and dad not too?). It is a food heaven. The Hotel shuttle is an advantage in the August heat (though we walked a couple of times from town to Hotel - 20 mins slow walk). The Hotel is a good mix of people from Europe (nothing worse than one full of Brits). We were heartened by the number of Italians staying (good sign) and it definitely had a European air about it. No Chavs. St. Agnello is ideally-located: away from crowds but close enough to walk. You are faced with and endless choice of tiny bars and restaurants to all tastes. Rooms were spotless (cleaned daily, towels replaced daily, beds made daily!!!!!!). We sat for a couple of minutes and decided that we couldn't suggest any thing for improvement. I noticed a review about thickness of bath towels as a negative - I think I must be from a different planet to that reviewer. If time and money allowed we'd be back in a flash. P.S. Got a big fatter during the week of gastronomic debauchery - will fast for a month.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Richmond Hill, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

I see that a lot of people are raving about the Caravel Sorrento but I would have to say that our experience was not outstanding. When we arrived, the room was quite hot. As it turns out, the hotel only runs its air conditioning for a few months out of the year (June to September, as I recall) and only between 3 p.m. and around 10 a.m. in the morning. During the middle of the day, when the AC is not running, the room builds up quite a bit of heat and never really cools off. Also, there were several occasions during our three day stay when the water in our bathroom slowed to a trickle or stopped entirely for a period of time. This wasn't an isolated occurrence, because other guests at the pool were talking about it. The breakfast that was included with our package was not very good and we only ended up eating there one day out of the three. Even more frustrating was trying to book the shuttle into Sorrento -- the choice times were never available and no one told us that we could just flag it down at the corner, even without a reservation (no one ever checked if you had a reservation or not). Despite it being called the Caravel Sorrento, it's quite a walk (about 20 minutes or more) if you decide to go on foot. I was also not impressed by the fact that the "free" internet required a two Euro deposit to get the password and each pool towel also cost two Euros for "rental". It wasn't a lot of money, but it just seemed chintzy for them to nickel and dime their guests. On a positive note, the rooms were spacious enough for the three of us, if a little dated in decor, and the grounds were nice. The pool area was kept quite clean.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thanks for having shared your opinion on Tripadvisor. I am glad to hear that you very much appreciated the beauty of our garden, the cleanliness of the pool and the room comfort. I am sorry to hear that you had problems booking the shuttle bus, but even if the shuttle is full, it will come back and pick up any remaining guests. I hope this information will be of use if you return to the Hotel. The small charge ( 2 euro) required to rent a pool towel is due only in order to avoid people using different towels several times during their holiday. This doesn’t respect our policy of sustainability and taking care of the environment.

Birmingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

The hotel was spotlessly clean, the staff were very friendly and helpful and the food was top-notch.
My only criticism is that there was no warning about the mosquitoes. The hotel employs a watering system for its gardens which acts as a magnet for the critters. My wife and I were badly bitten whilst relaxing outside in the evenings.

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Stayed for a week,which was not long enough! The hotel is fresh,comfortale and spotless. We upgraded for a larger room which had a lovely view. The beds are very comfortable indeed with free air conditioning,a safe and small fridge. The maids do a fabulous job too,in fact all the staff are very polite and extremely professional. The Caravel is situated in a good location with an excellent shuttle bus service to Sorrento, which was free,regular and on always on time. We booked various trips around the coast and Capri using the Ferries which are easily bookable down the Port.
We opted for halfboard option but we didn't always enjoy the meals but we are a bit fussy,so perhaps it was just us? I would love to return here again in the future and would highly recommend to friends and family.

Room Tip: Worth an upgrade for a lovely view and larger room.