“A gem” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 61 Hotels in Riva Del Garda
wirral
“A gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2010

We stayed here for three days at the end of sept. whilst on a seven cities tour of Italy booked with Newmarket travel, who were excellent. Just a quick detour, this seven cities tour is good value but not for the faint hearted. Well over two thousand miles covered in the week! I went as my wife wanted the holiday as her birthday gift, but I really enjoyed it!
Back to the Portici, It is a nice little hotel near the lake and in the town of Riva. Our room was some sort of apartment and very large, with a fridge, tv and safe. It is only a three star hotel but it was generally very clean throughout, the food was good and the staff friendly, we would stay there again! In fact we are thinking of going back to the area sometime in the future, I would be happy to book this hotel through Nemarket travel!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Coleraine
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2010

The Lake Garda area is beautiful and I would definitely go back but I would not stay at the Portici Hotel there.

The room was small and plain, not even a picture on the wall. There were TWO SINGLE beds MADE UP AS TWO single beds. Not at all conducive to a couple wanting to sleep together. The bathroom was very small with no counter space to put things. No bathtub, just a very small shower enclosure which in my estimation would not accommodate a very big person. The shower doors closed right on your face with no room to bend over or turn around.. and I am not big. Nice powerful hot shower but the drain was inadequate and flooded the entire bathroom and the area into the bedroom after only 2 or 3 minutes.

The food (we were on half board) was not great. For a country which is known for its citrus and other fruits, I was disappointed that we were NEVER presented with fresh fruit at a meal. Not even fresh oranges or grapes which are grown there. At breakfast, it was tins of canned peaches and pears in their syrup poured into large serving bowls, sliced cheese and cold meats and bread, yoghurt and cereal. Orange juice was too obviously NOT fresh squeezed and tasted like it was reconstituted and diluted. At dinner the lettuce at the salad bar was often bruised and brown around the edges. Breaded appetizers were often cold unless you were the first to arrive. The cold beans had virtually no taste and what beans weren't used up at the salad buffet appeared to be thrown into a sauce and served with your meal the following night. The pizza was a plain thin crust cheese pizza which you couldn't even cut or bite into as the crust was so leathery. We had much better meals out away from the hotel so I know good food CAN come out of Italy... just not at that hotel.

The staff were friendly and very accommodating and the coffee was very good. I would not recommend half board. Take the breakfast just to get you started in the morning. Then take your time over and afternoon or evening meal out where you can select from a menu and the food is actually cooked to order for your own taste.

3 stars? Well, yes maybe - on a scale of 1 to 10.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Suffolk UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Portici for one night in early August while attending the international music festival. We booked through on online agency and got a great room including breakfast.
The hotel is slap bang in the middle of Riva del Garda, directly opposite the small port and the bell tower. The location is idyllic and totally charming.
Breakfast was good and exactly as expected in Italy with a choice from a buffet and served coffee and tea etc. We did not have an evening meal at the hotel as we chose to eat out. The restaurant looked charming and we noticed how busy it was with locals in the evening. This is usually a good sign!
Our room was a good size and we were lucky in that we had a balcony. The hotel only has two such rooms. The room was clean and modern in style and appeared to have been recently updated.
Riva is a stunning town with its location at the very north of the Lake Garda making the most of the mountains and the surrounding vistas. Visit as soon as you can.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Mechanicsburg, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2010

Hotel Portici was very nice. I stayed there a couple of weeks ago for just one weekend. The hotel is located in a small little town. Lake Garda is right across from the hotel and there are pizza shops, gelato bars, shopping all in walking distance. Everything is right there for you. And the little town area seemed nice, and safe, too.

I checked into the hotel later in the evening. The lobby area is very small. They gave me a key with (literally) a 5 pound weight attached to it -- I guess its so you don't steal it or lose it. The elevator was so tiny and very slow, thus, I had to carry my heavy suitcase up a lot of steps. Not fun. My friends and I searched for the room for probably about 15 minutes. The rooms are in no particular order and the hotel is like a maze. It was very frustrating trying to find the room.

But once I found the room, I was quite pleased. The room was very large and I was definitely not expecting that. I stayed in a room made for 4 people. It had two single beds and one king bed. The bed was average when it came to comfort and the pillows really sucked. They were very flat. The room had a kitchen with dishes, a stove, and a fridge. It had a large walk in closet and good sized bathroom. The bathroom had a small shower, which was actually sort of dirty (eww), but thats really the only complaint I would have about the room itself. Also, the room had a beautiful ceiling, it was a carved design. And, the view out the windows was awesome. You could physically sit in the window and see the lake and the town.

The food that I had at the hotel was fine, I don't know why everyone is complaining about it. The first course is always pasta, one night I had spaghetti and the other I had rigatoni or something similar. The pasta was always very good. There was a small salad bar, but the time I went there, the lettuce was all gone and they didn't restock it, so no salad for me. For the main courses, I had chicken and potatoes one night, and another night I had pizza. The pizza was delicious and huge. For dessert, I had pudding or custard. The dinners were good, but actually I didn't really care for the breakfast. They had hard boiled eggs, corn flakes, toast, and criossants. I went to make toast one morning and the toaster did not work. The breakfast food was just not great. Oh, and I forgot to mention, the hotel has a gelato stand inside. I never tried it, but it looked good.

I didn't sleep that great at this hotel, mainly because of the heat and the noise. There was no air conditioning in my room, so I had to sleep with the windows open. And it was July, so it was hot! Sleeping with the windows open was not such a great idea, if you wanted to sleep. Right outside the hotel, bands play and people gather to have a good time. I mean that's nice that they have a night life sorta thing, but it was very loud. Music played probably until about 2 AM. Also, there is a clock tower across from the hotel and it dings on the hour.

I have to say I did enjoy my stay here. I mean the hotel had a few flaws, but I would return if I had the chance.

• Stayed July 2010
east midlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2010

But don't travel with Newmarket Travel, we experienced problems on most day trips, no Aircon and too tight an itinery on the coach. We had to pay an extra £20 (2x £10) at the Airport (E Mids) for non reg at baggage check-out, although we had done so with Nmt on-line, which we have since recovered, although the person at the end of the phone was offhand and accepted repayment without checking for a ref (does that tell you something ? ) several other passengers had the same problem, second Hotel again, another alternative, for the last 4 nights out of 7 was at Cinciano Terme the san Remo nice people but still in the 70s (a feeling of decadence about it. Both places are very nice, and the places we visited will always be in our memory Rome, Sienna, Assisi, Venice Florence and Verona. The tour co and we ourselves should have realised the in 1 week there are too many places to visit .

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Co Down
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2010

Booked this holiday through 'The Travel Department' who were great, especially our guide Laura, she was very knowledgeable and helpful and gave us lots of information as we went on our tours of the Lake, Verona and Venice. The hotel is in a fantastic location, very quiet at night, but very basic. Breakfast is good especially the croissants, but the evening meal (which you must order the night before and eat at a certain time) is not that great. You get a choice of salad which is basic, pasta which is the same every night but with a different sauce, meat (one small slice)and potatoes followed by a nice dessert (but never ice cream). If you accidently spill sauce or wine on the tablecloth it is not changed for two days. Water and wine are charged at 2 euro. Rooms are very small but bedding is clean and rooms are cleaned daily. If you can afford it I would recommend that you upgrade to a four star hotel.
Riva has lots of shops (including expensive designer ones) and lots of activities available and I would recommend that you take the ferry and visit Malchesne and Limone.

• Stayed May 2010
Ballymena
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2010

Very basic hotel with no seperate lounge area for residents, to the point that on the night of the "gala" evening, it was stopped at 10;00pm because they needed to set up the tables for breakfast, Breakfast was basic continental style,while dinner had to be ordered the previous evening, only one serving time, with few staff, (who were very friendly & helpful) which lead to slow service,so if your partner had ordered something different from you either your's or their meal would be cold by the time the other meal arrived, This said the hotel is in an ideal location and is spotlessly clean

• Stayed May 2010

Been to Hotel Portici? Share your experiences!