“Great hotel, will definitely be returning!” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Riviera
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Viale Rovereto 95, 38066 Riva Del Garda, Italy   |
Ranked #27 of 61 Hotels in Riva Del Garda
Peterborough
“Great hotel, will definitely be returning!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

Great hotel, owners and all staff very helpful and friendly. We made use of the free bike hire a couple of times, this is a beautiful area and from what we saw, the best town on the lake. Hotel and pool area/gardens immaculate. Good breakfast with lots of choice, lovely evening meal and great service from waitresses. Drinks very reasonably priced. All in all this hotel is very good value for money and we wouldn’t hesitate to go back.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Yorkshire uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

On arrival at the Riveara,first impression was that it was tidy from the outside.
We were welcomed at the desk by the owner & helped with the luggage to the lift,Opening the door to our room was a nice surprise,Light clean airy with the balcony looking out across the
marina and swimming pool with a stunning view of the lake,Huge mountains to either side made
you realise this lake is more like an inland sea.Definately room with a WOW. !!!
The bathroom was clean and provided everything required,bedding & towels were changed often.
Room staff & waiting staff were efficient helpful & friendly.
The owner,his wife & daughter could always offer advice when needed about local services etc.
The food surpassed our expectations,breakfast was continental plus bacon n eggs,you could
fill upto your hearts delight,evening meals more of the same,We stayed !! days and & had different meals every day.Really good dining.
The pool & gardens are across the road but this is no problem as they are shielded & private.
The hotel is well situated between Torbole to the left & Riva to the right,Just 2 minutes walk to the lake,20 minutes to either town.
Using the local buses & ferries allows you to visit other towns easily All in all the hotel is really
good value for money & we enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Rooms to the front have the best views but they get really warm,suggest you put shutters down throu...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
leics england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

This was a small hotel opposite the lake and small port.We thoroughly enjoyed our week. The rooms were fine ,bed comfortable,in room safe (only 1 Euro a day !) Food was very good, 3 courses (sometimes 4).service in the dining room excellent.Half a litre of house wine 5 -50. The garden with swimming pool opposite was a pleasant place to sit in the afternoon after exploring.Bus stops nearby and you can get anywhere cheaply.
The walk into Riva at night takes 20 minutes by the lakeside it is lovely and very safe. Riva is a delight @night .If you want entertainment at your hotel dont come here. but if you want a smaller hotel that takes pride in its self then come.

Room Tip: Try to avoid rooms that end in 01 as the lovely lake view is slightly impeded by a small appartment...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012 via mobile

We stayed there from 19th to 26th May. The breakfast food was of the highest quality though we tended to eat out in the evenings so can not comment on the evening menu. Its a very peaceful and relaxing Hotel with very graciuos staff. The Hotel bar area was small and quite pleasant to have a conversation without having to shout. We absolutely loved our Holiday to Riva and would definetly visit again and would most certainly stay at this hotel.

• Stayed May 2012
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

Like any other hotel, there are good and bad points about staying in the Riviera. First and foremost, your Euro doesn't go very far in Italy which ultimately means that if you're on a budget, compromises must be made particularly with regards to accommodation. The Riviera is not an impressive building from the outside, but the interior is as all the other reviews have mentioned, clean and well presented. The owners we found to be practical, and in the case of the male half of the equation, very friendly. The female half was not and was at most times, quite surly. There is a large German presence in the hotel, this is a fact, and it did appear they were favoured to a certain degree. The waiting staff in the restaurants however were fantastic. Service was excellent and friendly and always with a smile. A big plus for me with this hotel was the food. We stayed on a half board basis and could not fault the food atall. I am an ultra fussy eater but had no problems with the food choices. I agree that the food was not particularly Italian, but it was good home cooked grub.
The rooms are very small which was an issue as I was sharing with my sister - you can imagine the clothes, make up and lotions and potions we both travel with! There was no storage space in the bedroom apart from one small wardrobe and no space in the bathroom either. We had to arrange toiletries on a thin strip of shelving behind the bed and had to keep some clothes in our suitcases.
Do ask for a room with a lake view - it is simply stunning. We also had a side view of the mountains. This was my third visit to Lake Garda and I love it. It has become very commercialised over the years and is perhaps a victim of its' own success, but its' beauty will leave you breathless.
Would I stay in this hotel again? Probably not.

Room Tip: Definitely book a sea view room.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2011

A previous reviewer has written, "AVOID, AVOID, AVOID!" - their experience was obviously very different from mine. I would return anytime - and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone. On my (early) arrival at the hotel my room was not ready, so I was offered and gratefully accepted a complimentary cup of coffee. Before too long I was accompanied to my room. As a single traveller I have stayed in many hotels and been very disappointed with the rooms. Not so in this case. There was no single room supplement. Yes, the room was quite small and had a single bed, but I had paid a small supplement for a balcony and actually got a terrace. I had hoped for a lake view and as my room was at the front of the hotel thought this would be the case. Initially I was disappointed that the lake view was obscured by a rather large palm tree, but I had wonderful mountain views. Before long I was glad of that tree - it provided shade during the hot and wonderfully sunny days. As for the food, I was more than satisfied. Breakfast had a wide choice, including scrambled eggs, dellcious bacon and a choice of cereals, breads, meats and cheeses. For dinner there was normally a choice of three starters, main courses and desserts, with two gala dinners offering additonal courses. Not once in the week was there a repition of dishes (except for dessert where two the choice always included fruit saled and mixed ice cream). I didn't mind having to make a choice at breakfast time, especially as this helps to keep costs down and reduces waste. The waiting staff were efficient and friendly. I would have to say, though, that drinks were quite pricey. Expect a bottle of Pinot Grigio to set you back 15 euros. The hotel was exceptionally clean throughout. I have to agree that German guests seemed to be treated in a different way to English speaking guests - but I would put this down to the problems of language. Perhaps the owners might work on their welcoming skills - but they work hard and were ever present. I had a problem with my room on the last night. The owner managed the situation very well and was very reassuring towards me, aware that I felt I had been part of the cause! The hotel is on the edge of the town, near to Torbole, but there is a beautiful twenty minute walk into town along the lakefront. Would I go there again? Anytime. Should you go there? Give it serious consideration.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
DirezioneRiviera, Proprietario at Hotel Riviera, responded to this review, October 12, 2011
Dear guest,

we thank you very much for your review on our hotel and hope to see you again soon,

best regards

Cristina & Maurizio
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

From the moment we walked through the door we felt very unwelcome. There was no help with the luggage and absolutely no pleasantaries at the hotel reception desk. The hotel is owned by a German couple and in our opinion they have no time for British tourists but are full of conversation and helpful tips for their German guests. It left you feeling quite unwelcome and uncomfortable. Never once in our 10 day stay did they chat with us and we had to go out of our way to say hello to even get a smile from them. We frequently holiday in Italy and I have never stayed in a hotel like it. On the plus side the food is lovely as are the waiting and cleaning staff and the hotel was very clean but the unfriendliness from the owners isn't really on when folk have paid a lot of money for their holiday. We weren't given any information on what facilities the hotel offered and if we asked for any assistance eg where the pool was located (across a main road from the hotel) or for any refreshments (which obviously you were paying for) it was normally met with a sigh or reluctance. Actually think it is a disgrace that Thomsons offers this hotel to Brits!
Riva itself is a wonderful holiday destination and I would go back in a flash but would absolutely never, ever stay in this hotel again and would tell all British holidaymakers to AVOID, AVOID, AVOID!!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
DirezioneRiviera, Proprietario at Hotel Riviera, responded to this review, September 23, 2011
Dear guest,

We are sorry you had a bad impression on us and on our hotel and we’d like to answer your review just with few words:

1. my husband and I, owners of hotel, are not German, as you write. We talk to all our guests (not only German) who like to chat with us or ask questions or informations, without making difference about their nationality. We are working with Thomson since 1990 and we have always received good feedback on the satisfaction of the guests: this year is 92 out of 100. We have many, many guests, British as well, returning year after year……, maybe it is not so unpleasant to stay at Hotel Riviera.

2. we don’t mind we have welcomed you unfriendly; as we do with all our British guests we went with you into your room helping you with your luggage.

3. and last, but not least, it is really unkind of you that you haven’t signed your own name but you have hidden yourself behind a nickname.

Best regards

Cristina & Maurizio

Been to Hotel Riviera? Share your experiences!