“great location but half operational in off season” 4 of 5 stars

Toro Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Roma, 16, 84100 Ravello, Italy   |
Ranked #20 of 21 Hotels in Ravello
Byron Bay, Australia
“great location but half operational in off season”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2010

The hotel is very old and charming, but the rooms felt a bit stuffed ( but it was because we traveled outside the season so they were not aired daily) and the garden was closed, but still the sleep was great, location could not be more central, and the furnishing of the rooms had charisma.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Billericay, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

I stayed at the Toro Hotel for a long weekend in mid-June, 2010. Friends and I had travelled to Ravello to attend a wedding and as such we were looking for reasonably priced accommodation in the centre of town. We picked the Hotel Toro because it was one of the cheaper hotels in the town and offered both single and double rooms (at around €70 per room per night for a single).

The hotel did not disappoint in terms of location. It was smack-bang in the centre of Ravello, just a stone's throw from the main square, many of the restaurants, cafes, bars and shops can be found nearby and it was only a short walk from Villa Rufolo and Villa Cimbrone, two of Ravello's main attractions.

The hotel itself was incredibly basic. Since it is only a 2* establishment I had not expected too much and so I cannot really complain. The reception staff spoke decent English and made us feel welcome upon arrival.

The three of us who stayed at Hotel Toro each had separate rooms. One of our party had a double room which, although dated was quite spacious, and certainly not as dated as the single room I stayed in. This however was luxurious in comparison to my friend's single room which was like something out of a concentration camp!

My room (which I think was room 2) was small but very clean. The furniture was dated and tired and the hairdryer was very odd - i'd taken my own which I was glad about since the contraption in the bathroom looked like it had been put in in 1960. The bed wasn't uncomfortable but it was very narrow, even for a single bed. I did however have a tiny balcony with a fully opening door to let in the light/air and the room had air conditioning (although you have to ask for the remote control from reception - no charge) and a TV with some English channels. The bathroom was compact but very clean with a stand-up shower. I would not recommend the room for a large person though, the shower unit was very 'snug' and i'm a small woman!

Although I didn't stay in my friend's room I feel I should mention it since I think it shows that standards at the Hotel Toro vary somewhat. I think she was in room 5. It was another single room, again very clean and with air conditioning, TV and ancient hairdryer. The furniture in her room was equally dated but whereas my room was light and airy hers had no balcony and was very dark and dingy. The worst part for me was the bathroom in this room which appeared to be a 1960's version of a wet-room - there was no shower tray, just a showerhead and curtain - I imagine that most items in the bathroom would get wet when the shower was in use, including the loo paper, given that the space was absolutely tiny!

Breakfast was provided as part of the package at the Hotel Toro. It was a simple affair either taken inside or on the small hotel patio (which was quite pretty). There were a selection of cereals, yoghurts, cheeses, ham, bread and danish pastries and cakes on offer (all self-service) and coffee/tea made to order. I thought it was fine.

All in all the Hotel Toro is very basic and not somewhere i'd choose to visit again but as a base for attending a wedding or even a cheap place to sleep when exploring Ravello and the surrounding areas it was fine. We had fairly decent weather when we visited and lots of sightseeing to do so spent very little time in the hotel but I would imagine that if the weather were bad you would not want to spend much time in your room at the Hotel Toro! If you are after luxury I would recommend the Hotel Caruso - beautiful!

Ravello itself is absolutely outstanding, the views are magnificent and the locals very friendly. I recommend a visit to Villa Cimbrone, Villa Rufolo and Mama Agata's cookery school. I will definitely return to Ravello and the Amalfi coast one day!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
miami
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2009

We stayed at the Toro for 6 nights in July 2009. its not fancy be any means but our stay was nice. We traveled with our 4 year old daughter and she had her own bed in the room. Our room was #3 and we had a balcony that faced the front of the little hotel and a nice view of the mountains. The bathroom was tiny and had no vertialtion. Th eroom had no A/C but a small table fan. We were never in the room during the day but I am sure it was hot in there. Its a very quiet hotel in a great location, right off the main Piazza.

The staff was very friendly. My daughter would have her chocolate milk and they would bring us our cappucinos and breakfast to the room.

If yo want something luxurious, stay elsewhere, but for a base to explore Amalfi, it was good.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2009

After staying in Nocelle with unbelievable sea views, we were a little disappointed to not have such views at Hotel Toro. Then we discovered Villa Cimbrone and Villa Ruffalo - WOW! Ravello is only 20-25 min bus ride from Amalfi. In low season, there were no concerts, but clean mountain air, charming church bells, and visits to Cimbrone and Ruffalo made the stay memorable. The hotel staff is very nice, and the morning coffee was the closest match to American style (more than half-an-ounce and still strong). One issue is that noise carries in the stone building - so light sleepers need to bring ear plugs.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
Sunderland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2008

I've just returned from a 4-night stay at the Hotel Toro.
The rooms were bigger than I expected which was nice and were very clean.
The breakfasts were Ok achoice of ham, cheese, bread and cereal, the coffee was delicious though.
The hotel is an ideal position only a few yards from the main sqaure.
I'm getting married in Ravello next October and will be recommending this hotel to my family and friends who are wanting to stay in a nice hotel for a few days.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The steps up to the reception - especially if you have a big heavy suitcase.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2008

Stayed in this hotel for a week to attend a wedding in Ravello. The location is absolutely perfect - just a few steps from the main square. It is advertised as a 3* hotel - absolutely NOT !!! With temperatures of 35 degrees and very high humidity, the air con in this hotel consisted of a fan in the corner of the room which was completely ineffective !!! We all nearly expired here. Breakfast was just okay - cold buffet of ham and chesse, croissants, etc. With the exception of Giovanni, the staff were unfriendly and even surly. The housekeeping staff, on the other hand, were great and very accommodating. There was a mini bar in the room - but no key for it !!!

The Toro Hotel was quite pricey for what is was - other guests stayed in a nearby B+B and had lovely accommodation - WITH air con. !!!

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — No Air Con
  • Stayed August 2008
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
derbyshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2008

We have just returned from a week in the hotel toro, unfortunately the hotel was very disappointing with no air conditioning in any of the rooms, which were extermely hot and airless. We were staying in hotel for a wedding in Ravello, and were very suprised that the hotel did not offer a better service the the bride and groom and their guests.
Many of the hotels staff were very unfriendly and unhelpful which again just added to the disappointment, with so many other hotels in the village offering much better service and cheaper rates we recommend the hotel toro as a last resort hotel only.

• Liked — the rooms were kept clean
  • Disliked — unfriendly staff
  • Stayed August 2008
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Toro Hotel? Share your experiences!