“Not worth it!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 21 Hotels in Ravello
London, United Kingdom
“Not worth it!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Ravello is a stunning city and our stay at Toro Hotel unfortunately wasted part of its beauty. The hotel itself is nice, the location central yet quiet, and the staff friendly at first. Unfortunately the room is very basic: old TV, uncomfortable bed (very hard mattress which has been hurting my back for the last week) and tiny bathroom (so small that we had the step over the bidet to get to the shower).
The cleaning staff was making noise from 8am when we were told to take our shoes off and be quiet if we got back late after dinner. On our last night, Italian guests came back late and had no issues waking up the entire hotel up which indicates that treatment of non Italian vs. Italian customers is different! The night concierge was extremely judgmental and told me off because my boyfriend was staying out later enjoying the warm summer nights - never have I had someone in a customer service function tell me off in this way - I was absolutely shocked and appalled!
The cherry on the cake was when we were told that we had to check out after 8:30am on the day of our departure and at that time the card machine did not work. Without an apology from the receptionist, I had to run around town to find a significant amount of euros in cash to pay for our 5 nights' stay in Hotel Toro.
I appreciate that it is a hotel full of history but there is a strong need to improve on customer service and basic amenities. I highly recommend finding another hotel to stay at in Ravello.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
hoteltoro, Proprietario at Toro Hotel, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear Madame ,

what wanted to explain we have already told him your boy -friend . We wanted only to specify that our baths and our rooms are fit and regular as from authorization released from precedes it authority. The receptionist has apologized not only besides, bu she has also explained that the problems to the POS and the telephone lines had been being caused for the bad time of the day before. Thanks in every case for your critiques, even if negative; after your signalings a lot of people have chosen the hotel Toro .

Regards.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Rated a Three Star this backwards hotel is the perfect example of what not to do when working in the hotel business. We stayed for 4 nights as we were in town for a wedding - the entire stay here was ridiculous:

- Our bed was more uncomfortable than a bed of nails
- There was constant staff chatter in the hallways, mainly early in the AM
- Threw away our toiletries when cleaning because they 'thought' they were empty
- Staff had no problems rearranging all of out things and coming into the room several times a day to turn the TV off standby mode, put my bag on my gf's dress leaving it creased
- The smallest bathroom I've ever seen and WW2 issue TV set
- Being told off, literally shouted at, by the night concierge after returning around 2am to use the loo, had to remind him that they are a hotel
- Worst breakfast ever, had to request basics every morning as they under cater
- Unable to pay by card during checkout because their lines were "down" resulting in having to find a bank at 8.30am to draw €500, and they could not even find €5 change (45min checkout, late for booked transfer)
- Retarded staff, unable to do most basic tasks like count money

Location is fine but for the price we paid for the reasons above we feel robbed - stay elsewhere.

Nic

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
hoteltoro, Proprietario at Toro Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Mr,
we want to explain you some things, her before: the little shampo envelopes found in the shower were wet and they were not able in every case to still be used. They have been removed for being able to perform the regular cleaning, and in every case other little envelopes of shower are been given it skims entire and perfectly usable. For the same motive, to be able to clean in the room, the purses have been moved.In the bed the mattress is orthopedic, because so required by a lot of people. At two o'clock at night, from the doorman he has been you alone asked to avoid to noisily ring the bell because other people were resting.As it regards the first breakfast, the first thing that has been you reported in the hotel they are our schedules, except the first one and the last day, you have arrived after the ten when the service was finished from a long time. It is true the last day we have had some problems with the telephone lines and therefore with the BANK POS, all of this has created us anxiety, it happens to go to confusion, but our confusion is also increased following your attitude of anger, of no respect for the people that work .
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

A charming hotel, pleasant staff, flowered gardens and attractive
art on the walls made for a happy 10-day stay in May and June.
Owner Giulia Schiavo even directed me to a doctor to
treat my strep throat! She's a fifth generation hotelier. Her great grandfather opened the second hotel in town, near the present Hotel Caruso. Hotel Toro's virtues are its location one minute from Ravello's main square, its spic and span cleanliness, and its low cost. It's like an old-style pension hotel, quiet, dignified
and proud. You get decent rooms, no car noise, mountain air, and if you ask for a room with a balcony, the fun of waking up to a view of
the mountains.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a balcony for lovely mountain views and fresh crisp air
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Honestly this hotel is really convenient to everything in this town. I mean, come on, there's only so much you can do in Ravello. AND the chances of why you were there probably are high to definite-- for your friend's wedding. PROS, I guess? And that is where it ends. I came to Ravello after staying at other 3 stars and one 5 stars (Villa Maria, in Ravello, a 5 min walk away) hotels all over Amalfi. I have to say, I have stayed at some weird ones and some really gorgeous ones but none were MEAN ones.Toro is a cross between bad to rude. There was nothing nice about this hotel besides it's location.

CONS:
1. Space-- WHAT SPACE? I shared this room with my sister and we could barely put down our suit cases opened AND still able to walk from the bed to the bathroom without closing them.
2. Hot Water-- WHAT HOT WATER? Amalfi Coast is built around a cliff, so at night, the temperature drops significantly and in the morning, it's a bit cooler. BOTH the usual time one chooses to shower. Forget about it. I had no hot water for the two nights I were there. MORNING OR NIGHT. I went to the front desk to tell this mean, cranky, old lady. She responded with yelling at me and kept telling me, "pull. string. string? pull. PULL." I was like, OKAY. There was a white, nasty, brown string RIGHT in the shower that I'm sure were pulled at least 100+ times by freezing people like me. I "pull" to no avail. I took a cold shower both nights + days. Unless you want to get sick, forget about it.
3. Want to get locked out of your hotel? Stay at Toro then. But our last night at Ravello, we had a very long dinner at Palazzo Scasso with my bestfriend (the one who got married in Ravello the night before and the reason why we were in Ravello) and her husband. OUr dinner lasted from 6pm-12am. Got back to our hotel at 12:15 am, what happens? Doors were locked. We saw a bell, so natural reaction was to ring it, right? So we did. This time, a grumpy old man yelled the crap out of my sister and I for ringing the bell!!! SORRY we didn't know you were sleeping. He told us to KNOCK next time. WTF?
4. Want to get accused for being drunk? GO TO THIS HOTEL. I was rushing to the airport at 7:30am and forgot to pack a bag. I was knew someone that worked in Ravello and I asked him to help me retrieve my bag-- not only did the old grumpy lady (this hotel is full of grumps) said she didn't have it, she also told my friend that my sister and I was partying and drank till we were belligerent and were rude and loud!!!!! I don't know if you guys ever been to Ravello, but trust me, nothing opens past 8pm. My sister and I do not drink any alcohol. The only "loud" thing we did was when we rang the doorbell (twice) the previous night, which we 'paid' for when we got yelled at by the old man.
5. Want to fall asleep to water dripping in the shower? GO HERE. Like the previous comments said, old, old furnitures, place not only needs some updating, but at least fix the plumbing? I went to take a shower (yes, cold one) one morning and saw a wet brown mat in the shower. I asked my sister why it was there and she told me she couldn't sleep with the water dripping in the shower all night. Like I said earlier, the room is only so big. ONE step out the bathroom, you're on your bed. ONE step off the bed, you're in the bathroom. One left left to the bed, you're out the door.

I gave this hotel 2 stars because 1 is harsh. Two because of the location and also, the housekeeper was nice. She tried explaining to me that I blew out my curling iron.

Room Tip: If you don't mind suffering, no hot water, small rooms and an unspoken curfew, go to Toro for it...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
hoteltoro, Proprietario at Toro Hotel, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Dear Madam, are writing he reply to
your critique, to specify some things: 1) the room from her busy it has the standard measures, as it foresees the Italian (so much is true that to have the necessary authorizations, is anticipated verification of the competent authorities law.2) in the period that you stay in our hotel, all the rooms were busy and any client is complained about the warm water (the hydraulic plant is unique) .3) to a certain time at night, the doors are closed for safety motives and the doorman asked you has not done anything else other than to ask to knock in less noisy way to avoid to wake up the other people y were already resting. 4) we have not accused anybody to be alcoholic, we have rather almost been accused to be the thieves' being, considering that your friend 3 times he has come to ask a purse that it had not remained in the room. 5) ours is an ancient hotel and him it breathes air of other times (also you have sojourned in the room where Escher has been, known Dutch painter, guest in our hotel from 1923 in then;) for this we are chosen to furnish with ancient furniture, to if her this atmosphere has not been pleasant, we excuse of it, but vice versa we feel there gratified by so many beautiful critiques written by others on our book of the guests, tha they have appreciated and thatthey have dared directly compare him with us in the hotel and not from far.
Wales
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

Had a lovely week in Ravello - always worth a visit...Hotel Toro wasn't our first choice but it did the job. Room 7 was comfortable, with very quiet air-con and a mini-bar (you need to ask for a key at reception). The shuttered window overlooked the tiny street to the square. The bathroom was very clean with towels changed daily, but the hairdryer was broken so I used my own. Staff are reticent but I think this is due to a certain shyness in using English. If you are lucky enough to find Palma on reception you will have a lovely smile and a chat, no problem. Palma came to our rescue when we got drenched in a sudden downpour on departure day AFTER our luggage had been packed and stowed in reception. Thanks Palma.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Bath, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

We were in Room 6 and as soon as we arrived were so disappointed after our last 3 star in Priano, which was wonderful. Our room was cramped noisy,no balcony fridge or Air-con, and a tiny shower.
The view was not bad. Worst of all the breakfasts! Stale rolls, tinned peaches, processed cheese and meat. and tasteless coffee ( we went next door for a proper 1 afterwards.) And we were in 1 of the 2 most fertile places in Italy!!
The guy behind the desk actually asked if we could pay in advance in case they were too busy, and he said " you know you must be out by 10 you know"
We did not pay in advance, needless to say.

Room Tip: Dont stay in any room.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Liverpool
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

I agree with a previous review about the hotel being nothing fancy, it isn't. The staff do not acknowledge you when you enter, and you are lucky if they raise their head's when you leave the key at reception when you leave the hotel.

But, to the point of my title... I stayed here in June 2011 for a friends wedding, I booked a room for myself, my friend also booked a room. Unfortunately he could not attend the wedding due to personal reasons. I stayed in my single room, which was adaquate, with two english TV channels and no air con, for four nights. On my second night I was approached by the manager of the hotel, demanding to know why my friend had not kept his booking. I informed her that I did not know, but I would try to contact him. Despite several attempts, I could not contact my friend. I tried to explain this to the hotel manager, and all seemed okay. However, she then demanded to take the details of my credit card under the pretence that this would be charged for my room.

However, on returning back to the UK and receiving my Visa Credit Card statement, it became apparent that the manager of the hotel had obtained my credit card details in order to pay for the room that my friend had not been able to occupy. i contacted the hotel and their reply was that I should obtain the money back from my friend. i explained that he was not a close friend, and that I had no way of contacting him. Regardless of that, i told them that i was under no obligation to pay for a 'no show' of a booking that was not in my name. i have sent over a dozen emails to the hotel, many of which have gone unanswered. i do not understand how any hotel can charge a guest for a room of someonelse!!

My credit card company has not passed their findings of fraudulent activity to the police and they are looking at the possibility of pressing charges against the hotel.

i have been fortunate and obtained a refund, albeit from my credit card company. i would never recommend this hotel to anyone. the hotel itself, the service and the staff are poor. The only thing you are paying for is the location.

Please please please, look elsewhere. I have posted photographic evidence of the FORGED signature the hotel used for my credit card, along with bmy actual signature. I hope this review has proven useful to you all in your choice in Ravello

Room Tip: Do not go here
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Toro Hotel? Share your experiences!