Honestly this hotel is really convenient to everything in this town. I mean, come on, there's only so much you can do in Ravello. AND the chances of why you were there probably are high to definite-- for your friend's wedding. PROS, I guess? And that is where it ends. I came to Ravello after staying at other 3 stars and one 5 stars (Villa Maria, in Ravello, a 5 min walk away) hotels all over Amalfi. I have to say, I have stayed at some weird ones and some really gorgeous ones but none were MEAN ones.Toro is a cross between bad to rude. There was nothing nice about this hotel besides it's location.
1. Space-- WHAT SPACE? I shared this room with my sister and we could barely put down our suit cases opened AND still able to walk from the bed to the bathroom without closing them.
2. Hot Water-- WHAT HOT WATER? Amalfi Coast is built around a cliff, so at night, the temperature drops significantly and in the morning, it's a bit cooler. BOTH the usual time one chooses to shower. Forget about it. I had no hot water for the two nights I were there. MORNING OR NIGHT. I went to the front desk to tell this mean, cranky, old lady. She responded with yelling at me and kept telling me, "pull. string. string? pull. PULL." I was like, OKAY. There was a white, nasty, brown string RIGHT in the shower that I'm sure were pulled at least 100+ times by freezing people like me. I "pull" to no avail. I took a cold shower both nights + days. Unless you want to get sick, forget about it.
3. Want to get locked out of your hotel? Stay at Toro then. But our last night at Ravello, we had a very long dinner at Palazzo Scasso with my bestfriend (the one who got married in Ravello the night before and the reason why we were in Ravello) and her husband. OUr dinner lasted from 6pm-12am. Got back to our hotel at 12:15 am, what happens? Doors were locked. We saw a bell, so natural reaction was to ring it, right? So we did. This time, a grumpy old man yelled the crap out of my sister and I for ringing the bell!!! SORRY we didn't know you were sleeping. He told us to KNOCK next time. WTF?
4. Want to get accused for being drunk? GO TO THIS HOTEL. I was rushing to the airport at 7:30am and forgot to pack a bag. I was knew someone that worked in Ravello and I asked him to help me retrieve my bag-- not only did the old grumpy lady (this hotel is full of grumps) said she didn't have it, she also told my friend that my sister and I was partying and drank till we were belligerent and were rude and loud!!!!! I don't know if you guys ever been to Ravello, but trust me, nothing opens past 8pm. My sister and I do not drink any alcohol. The only "loud" thing we did was when we rang the doorbell (twice) the previous night, which we 'paid' for when we got yelled at by the old man.
5. Want to fall asleep to water dripping in the shower? GO HERE. Like the previous comments said, old, old furnitures, place not only needs some updating, but at least fix the plumbing? I went to take a shower (yes, cold one) one morning and saw a wet brown mat in the shower. I asked my sister why it was there and she told me she couldn't sleep with the water dripping in the shower all night. Like I said earlier, the room is only so big. ONE step out the bathroom, you're on your bed. ONE step off the bed, you're in the bathroom. One left left to the bed, you're out the door.
I gave this hotel 2 stars because 1 is harsh. Two because of the location and also, the housekeeper was nice. She tried explaining to me that I blew out my curling iron.
If you don't mind suffering, no hot water, small rooms and an unspoken curfew, go to Toro for it...
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
October 13, 2012
Dear Madam, are writing he reply to
Report response as inappropriate
your critique, to specify some things: 1) the room from her busy it has the standard measures, as it foresees the Italian (so much is true that to have the necessary authorizations, is anticipated verification of the competent authorities law.2) in the period that you stay in our hotel, all the rooms were busy and any client is complained about the warm water (the hydraulic plant is unique) .3) to a certain time at night, the doors are closed for safety motives and the doorman asked you has not done anything else other than to ask to knock in less noisy way to avoid to wake up the other people y were already resting. 4) we have not accused anybody to be alcoholic, we have rather almost been accused to be the thieves' being, considering that your friend 3 times he has come to ask a purse that it had not remained in the room. 5) ours is an ancient hotel and him it breathes air of other times (also you have sojourned in the room where Escher has been, known Dutch painter, guest in our hotel from 1923 in then;) for this we are chosen to furnish with ancient furniture, to if her this atmosphere has not been pleasant, we excuse of it, but vice versa we feel there gratified by so many beautiful critiques written by others on our book of the guests, tha they have appreciated and thatthey have dared directly compare him with us in the hotel and not from far.
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.