“You get what you pay for?” 2 of 5 stars

Toro Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Roma, 16, 84100 Ravello, Italy   |
Ranked #19 of 20 hotels in Ravello
New York City, New York
“You get what you pay for?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Honestly this hotel is really convenient to everything in this town. I mean, come on, there's only so much you can do in Ravello. AND the chances of why you were there probably are high to definite-- for your friend's wedding. PROS, I guess? And that is where it ends. I came to Ravello after staying at other 3 stars and one 5 stars (Villa Maria, in Ravello, a 5 min walk away) hotels all over Amalfi. I have to say, I have stayed at some weird ones and some really gorgeous ones but none were MEAN ones.Toro is a cross between bad to rude. There was nothing nice about this hotel besides it's location.

CONS:
1. Space-- WHAT SPACE? I shared this room with my sister and we could barely put down our suit cases opened AND still able to walk from the bed to the bathroom without closing them.
2. Hot Water-- WHAT HOT WATER? Amalfi Coast is built around a cliff, so at night, the temperature drops significantly and in the morning, it's a bit cooler. BOTH the usual time one chooses to shower. Forget about it. I had no hot water for the two nights I were there. MORNING OR NIGHT. I went to the front desk to tell this mean, cranky, old lady. She responded with yelling at me and kept telling me, "pull. string. string? pull. PULL." I was like, OKAY. There was a white, nasty, brown string RIGHT in the shower that I'm sure were pulled at least 100+ times by freezing people like me. I "pull" to no avail. I took a cold shower both nights + days. Unless you want to get sick, forget about it.
3. Want to get locked out of your hotel? Stay at Toro then. But our last night at Ravello, we had a very long dinner at Palazzo Scasso with my bestfriend (the one who got married in Ravello the night before and the reason why we were in Ravello) and her husband. OUr dinner lasted from 6pm-12am. Got back to our hotel at 12:15 am, what happens? Doors were locked. We saw a bell, so natural reaction was to ring it, right? So we did. This time, a grumpy old man yelled the crap out of my sister and I for ringing the bell!!! SORRY we didn't know you were sleeping. He told us to KNOCK next time. WTF?
4. Want to get accused for being drunk? GO TO THIS HOTEL. I was rushing to the airport at 7:30am and forgot to pack a bag. I was knew someone that worked in Ravello and I asked him to help me retrieve my bag-- not only did the old grumpy lady (this hotel is full of grumps) said she didn't have it, she also told my friend that my sister and I was partying and drank till we were belligerent and were rude and loud!!!!! I don't know if you guys ever been to Ravello, but trust me, nothing opens past 8pm. My sister and I do not drink any alcohol. The only "loud" thing we did was when we rang the doorbell (twice) the previous night, which we 'paid' for when we got yelled at by the old man.
5. Want to fall asleep to water dripping in the shower? GO HERE. Like the previous comments said, old, old furnitures, place not only needs some updating, but at least fix the plumbing? I went to take a shower (yes, cold one) one morning and saw a wet brown mat in the shower. I asked my sister why it was there and she told me she couldn't sleep with the water dripping in the shower all night. Like I said earlier, the room is only so big. ONE step out the bathroom, you're on your bed. ONE step off the bed, you're in the bathroom. One left left to the bed, you're out the door.

I gave this hotel 2 stars because 1 is harsh. Two because of the location and also, the housekeeper was nice. She tried explaining to me that I blew out my curling iron.

Room Tip: If you don't mind suffering, no hot water, small rooms and an unspoken curfew, go to Toro for it...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
hoteltoro, Proprietario at Toro Hotel, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Dear Madam, are writing he reply to
your critique, to specify some things: 1) the room from her busy it has the standard measures, as it foresees the Italian (so much is true that to have the necessary authorizations, is anticipated verification of the competent authorities law.2) in the period that you stay in our hotel, all the rooms were busy and any client is complained about the warm water (the hydraulic plant is unique) .3) to a certain time at night, the doors are closed for safety motives and the doorman asked you has not done anything else other than to ask to knock in less noisy way to avoid to wake up the other people y were already resting. 4) we have not accused anybody to be alcoholic, we have rather almost been accused to be the thieves' being, considering that your friend 3 times he has come to ask a purse that it had not remained in the room. 5) ours is an ancient hotel and him it breathes air of other times (also you have sojourned in the room where Escher has been, known Dutch painter, guest in our hotel from 1923 in then;) for this we are chosen to furnish with ancient furniture, to if her this atmosphere has not been pleasant, we excuse of it, but vice versa we feel there gratified by so many beautiful critiques written by others on our book of the guests, tha they have appreciated and thatthey have dared directly compare him with us in the hotel and not from far.

37 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Wales
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

Had a lovely week in Ravello - always worth a visit...Hotel Toro wasn't our first choice but it did the job. Room 7 was comfortable, with very quiet air-con and a mini-bar (you need to ask for a key at reception). The shuttered window overlooked the tiny street to the square. The bathroom was very clean with towels changed daily, but the hairdryer was broken so I used my own. Staff are reticent but I think this is due to a certain shyness in using English. If you are lucky enough to find Palma on reception you will have a lovely smile and a chat, no problem. Palma came to our rescue when we got drenched in a sudden downpour on departure day AFTER our luggage had been packed and stowed in reception. Thanks Palma.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Bath, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

We were in Room 6 and as soon as we arrived were so disappointed after our last 3 star in Priano, which was wonderful. Our room was cramped noisy,no balcony fridge or Air-con, and a tiny shower.
The view was not bad. Worst of all the breakfasts! Stale rolls, tinned peaches, processed cheese and meat. and tasteless coffee ( we went next door for a proper 1 afterwards.) And we were in 1 of the 2 most fertile places in Italy!!
The guy behind the desk actually asked if we could pay in advance in case they were too busy, and he said " you know you must be out by 10 you know"
We did not pay in advance, needless to say.

Room Tip: Dont stay in any room.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Liverpool
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

I agree with a previous review about the hotel being nothing fancy, it isn't. The staff do not acknowledge you when you enter, and you are lucky if they raise their head's when you leave the key at reception when you leave the hotel.

But, to the point of my title... I stayed here in June 2011 for a friends wedding, I booked a room for myself, my friend also booked a room. Unfortunately he could not attend the wedding due to personal reasons. I stayed in my single room, which was adaquate, with two english TV channels and no air con, for four nights. On my second night I was approached by the manager of the hotel, demanding to know why my friend had not kept his booking. I informed her that I did not know, but I would try to contact him. Despite several attempts, I could not contact my friend. I tried to explain this to the hotel manager, and all seemed okay. However, she then demanded to take the details of my credit card under the pretence that this would be charged for my room.

However, on returning back to the UK and receiving my Visa Credit Card statement, it became apparent that the manager of the hotel had obtained my credit card details in order to pay for the room that my friend had not been able to occupy. i contacted the hotel and their reply was that I should obtain the money back from my friend. i explained that he was not a close friend, and that I had no way of contacting him. Regardless of that, i told them that i was under no obligation to pay for a 'no show' of a booking that was not in my name. i have sent over a dozen emails to the hotel, many of which have gone unanswered. i do not understand how any hotel can charge a guest for a room of someonelse!!

My credit card company has not passed their findings of fraudulent activity to the police and they are looking at the possibility of pressing charges against the hotel.

i have been fortunate and obtained a refund, albeit from my credit card company. i would never recommend this hotel to anyone. the hotel itself, the service and the staff are poor. The only thing you are paying for is the location.

Please please please, look elsewhere. I have posted photographic evidence of the FORGED signature the hotel used for my credit card, along with bmy actual signature. I hope this review has proven useful to you all in your choice in Ravello

Room Tip: Do not go here
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Byron Bay, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2010

The hotel is very old and charming, but the rooms felt a bit stuffed ( but it was because we traveled outside the season so they were not aired daily) and the garden was closed, but still the sleep was great, location could not be more central, and the furnishing of the rooms had charisma.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Billericay, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

I stayed at the Toro Hotel for a long weekend in mid-June, 2010. Friends and I had travelled to Ravello to attend a wedding and as such we were looking for reasonably priced accommodation in the centre of town. We picked the Hotel Toro because it was one of the cheaper hotels in the town and offered both single and double rooms (at around €70 per room per night for a single).

The hotel did not disappoint in terms of location. It was smack-bang in the centre of Ravello, just a stone's throw from the main square, many of the restaurants, cafes, bars and shops can be found nearby and it was only a short walk from Villa Rufolo and Villa Cimbrone, two of Ravello's main attractions.

The hotel itself was incredibly basic. Since it is only a 2* establishment I had not expected too much and so I cannot really complain. The reception staff spoke decent English and made us feel welcome upon arrival.

The three of us who stayed at Hotel Toro each had separate rooms. One of our party had a double room which, although dated was quite spacious, and certainly not as dated as the single room I stayed in. This however was luxurious in comparison to my friend's single room which was like something out of a concentration camp!

My room (which I think was room 2) was small but very clean. The furniture was dated and tired and the hairdryer was very odd - i'd taken my own which I was glad about since the contraption in the bathroom looked like it had been put in in 1960. The bed wasn't uncomfortable but it was very narrow, even for a single bed. I did however have a tiny balcony with a fully opening door to let in the light/air and the room had air conditioning (although you have to ask for the remote control from reception - no charge) and a TV with some English channels. The bathroom was compact but very clean with a stand-up shower. I would not recommend the room for a large person though, the shower unit was very 'snug' and i'm a small woman!

Although I didn't stay in my friend's room I feel I should mention it since I think it shows that standards at the Hotel Toro vary somewhat. I think she was in room 5. It was another single room, again very clean and with air conditioning, TV and ancient hairdryer. The furniture in her room was equally dated but whereas my room was light and airy hers had no balcony and was very dark and dingy. The worst part for me was the bathroom in this room which appeared to be a 1960's version of a wet-room - there was no shower tray, just a showerhead and curtain - I imagine that most items in the bathroom would get wet when the shower was in use, including the loo paper, given that the space was absolutely tiny!

Breakfast was provided as part of the package at the Hotel Toro. It was a simple affair either taken inside or on the small hotel patio (which was quite pretty). There were a selection of cereals, yoghurts, cheeses, ham, bread and danish pastries and cakes on offer (all self-service) and coffee/tea made to order. I thought it was fine.

All in all the Hotel Toro is very basic and not somewhere i'd choose to visit again but as a base for attending a wedding or even a cheap place to sleep when exploring Ravello and the surrounding areas it was fine. We had fairly decent weather when we visited and lots of sightseeing to do so spent very little time in the hotel but I would imagine that if the weather were bad you would not want to spend much time in your room at the Hotel Toro! If you are after luxury I would recommend the Hotel Caruso - beautiful!

Ravello itself is absolutely outstanding, the views are magnificent and the locals very friendly. I recommend a visit to Villa Cimbrone, Villa Rufolo and Mama Agata's cookery school. I will definitely return to Ravello and the Amalfi coast one day!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
miami
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2009

We stayed at the Toro for 6 nights in July 2009. its not fancy be any means but our stay was nice. We traveled with our 4 year old daughter and she had her own bed in the room. Our room was #3 and we had a balcony that faced the front of the little hotel and a nice view of the mountains. The bathroom was tiny and had no vertialtion. Th eroom had no A/C but a small table fan. We were never in the room during the day but I am sure it was hot in there. Its a very quiet hotel in a great location, right off the main Piazza.

The staff was very friendly. My daughter would have her chocolate milk and they would bring us our cappucinos and breakfast to the room.

If yo want something luxurious, stay elsewhere, but for a base to explore Amalfi, it was good.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Been to Toro Hotel? Share your experiences!