“Thanks to Palma” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 21 Hotels in Ravello
Wales
“Thanks to Palma”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

Had a lovely week in Ravello - always worth a visit...Hotel Toro wasn't our first choice but it did the job. Room 7 was comfortable, with very quiet air-con and a mini-bar (you need to ask for a key at reception). The shuttered window overlooked the tiny street to the square. The bathroom was very clean with towels changed daily, but the hairdryer was broken so I used my own. Staff are reticent but I think this is due to a certain shyness in using English. If you are lucky enough to find Palma on reception you will have a lovely smile and a chat, no problem. Palma came to our rescue when we got drenched in a sudden downpour on departure day AFTER our luggage had been packed and stowed in reception. Thanks Palma.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Bath, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

We were in Room 6 and as soon as we arrived were so disappointed after our last 3 star in Priano, which was wonderful. Our room was cramped noisy,no balcony fridge or Air-con, and a tiny shower.
The view was not bad. Worst of all the breakfasts! Stale rolls, tinned peaches, processed cheese and meat. and tasteless coffee ( we went next door for a proper 1 afterwards.) And we were in 1 of the 2 most fertile places in Italy!!
The guy behind the desk actually asked if we could pay in advance in case they were too busy, and he said " you know you must be out by 10 you know"
We did not pay in advance, needless to say.

Room Tip: Dont stay in any room.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Liverpool
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

I agree with a previous review about the hotel being nothing fancy, it isn't. The staff do not acknowledge you when you enter, and you are lucky if they raise their head's when you leave the key at reception when you leave the hotel.

But, to the point of my title... I stayed here in June 2011 for a friends wedding, I booked a room for myself, my friend also booked a room. Unfortunately he could not attend the wedding due to personal reasons. I stayed in my single room, which was adaquate, with two english TV channels and no air con, for four nights. On my second night I was approached by the manager of the hotel, demanding to know why my friend had not kept his booking. I informed her that I did not know, but I would try to contact him. Despite several attempts, I could not contact my friend. I tried to explain this to the hotel manager, and all seemed okay. However, she then demanded to take the details of my credit card under the pretence that this would be charged for my room.

However, on returning back to the UK and receiving my Visa Credit Card statement, it became apparent that the manager of the hotel had obtained my credit card details in order to pay for the room that my friend had not been able to occupy. i contacted the hotel and their reply was that I should obtain the money back from my friend. i explained that he was not a close friend, and that I had no way of contacting him. Regardless of that, i told them that i was under no obligation to pay for a 'no show' of a booking that was not in my name. i have sent over a dozen emails to the hotel, many of which have gone unanswered. i do not understand how any hotel can charge a guest for a room of someonelse!!

My credit card company has not passed their findings of fraudulent activity to the police and they are looking at the possibility of pressing charges against the hotel.

i have been fortunate and obtained a refund, albeit from my credit card company. i would never recommend this hotel to anyone. the hotel itself, the service and the staff are poor. The only thing you are paying for is the location.

Please please please, look elsewhere. I have posted photographic evidence of the FORGED signature the hotel used for my credit card, along with bmy actual signature. I hope this review has proven useful to you all in your choice in Ravello

Room Tip: Do not go here
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Byron Bay, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2010

The hotel is very old and charming, but the rooms felt a bit stuffed ( but it was because we traveled outside the season so they were not aired daily) and the garden was closed, but still the sleep was great, location could not be more central, and the furnishing of the rooms had charisma.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Billericay, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

I stayed at the Toro Hotel for a long weekend in mid-June, 2010. Friends and I had travelled to Ravello to attend a wedding and as such we were looking for reasonably priced accommodation in the centre of town. We picked the Hotel Toro because it was one of the cheaper hotels in the town and offered both single and double rooms (at around €70 per room per night for a single).

The hotel did not disappoint in terms of location. It was smack-bang in the centre of Ravello, just a stone's throw from the main square, many of the restaurants, cafes, bars and shops can be found nearby and it was only a short walk from Villa Rufolo and Villa Cimbrone, two of Ravello's main attractions.

The hotel itself was incredibly basic. Since it is only a 2* establishment I had not expected too much and so I cannot really complain. The reception staff spoke decent English and made us feel welcome upon arrival.

The three of us who stayed at Hotel Toro each had separate rooms. One of our party had a double room which, although dated was quite spacious, and certainly not as dated as the single room I stayed in. This however was luxurious in comparison to my friend's single room which was like something out of a concentration camp!

My room (which I think was room 2) was small but very clean. The furniture was dated and tired and the hairdryer was very odd - i'd taken my own which I was glad about since the contraption in the bathroom looked like it had been put in in 1960. The bed wasn't uncomfortable but it was very narrow, even for a single bed. I did however have a tiny balcony with a fully opening door to let in the light/air and the room had air conditioning (although you have to ask for the remote control from reception - no charge) and a TV with some English channels. The bathroom was compact but very clean with a stand-up shower. I would not recommend the room for a large person though, the shower unit was very 'snug' and i'm a small woman!

Although I didn't stay in my friend's room I feel I should mention it since I think it shows that standards at the Hotel Toro vary somewhat. I think she was in room 5. It was another single room, again very clean and with air conditioning, TV and ancient hairdryer. The furniture in her room was equally dated but whereas my room was light and airy hers had no balcony and was very dark and dingy. The worst part for me was the bathroom in this room which appeared to be a 1960's version of a wet-room - there was no shower tray, just a showerhead and curtain - I imagine that most items in the bathroom would get wet when the shower was in use, including the loo paper, given that the space was absolutely tiny!

Breakfast was provided as part of the package at the Hotel Toro. It was a simple affair either taken inside or on the small hotel patio (which was quite pretty). There were a selection of cereals, yoghurts, cheeses, ham, bread and danish pastries and cakes on offer (all self-service) and coffee/tea made to order. I thought it was fine.

All in all the Hotel Toro is very basic and not somewhere i'd choose to visit again but as a base for attending a wedding or even a cheap place to sleep when exploring Ravello and the surrounding areas it was fine. We had fairly decent weather when we visited and lots of sightseeing to do so spent very little time in the hotel but I would imagine that if the weather were bad you would not want to spend much time in your room at the Hotel Toro! If you are after luxury I would recommend the Hotel Caruso - beautiful!

Ravello itself is absolutely outstanding, the views are magnificent and the locals very friendly. I recommend a visit to Villa Cimbrone, Villa Rufolo and Mama Agata's cookery school. I will definitely return to Ravello and the Amalfi coast one day!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
miami
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2009

We stayed at the Toro for 6 nights in July 2009. its not fancy be any means but our stay was nice. We traveled with our 4 year old daughter and she had her own bed in the room. Our room was #3 and we had a balcony that faced the front of the little hotel and a nice view of the mountains. The bathroom was tiny and had no vertialtion. Th eroom had no A/C but a small table fan. We were never in the room during the day but I am sure it was hot in there. Its a very quiet hotel in a great location, right off the main Piazza.

The staff was very friendly. My daughter would have her chocolate milk and they would bring us our cappucinos and breakfast to the room.

If yo want something luxurious, stay elsewhere, but for a base to explore Amalfi, it was good.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2009

After staying in Nocelle with unbelievable sea views, we were a little disappointed to not have such views at Hotel Toro. Then we discovered Villa Cimbrone and Villa Ruffalo - WOW! Ravello is only 20-25 min bus ride from Amalfi. In low season, there were no concerts, but clean mountain air, charming church bells, and visits to Cimbrone and Ruffalo made the stay memorable. The hotel staff is very nice, and the morning coffee was the closest match to American style (more than half-an-ounce and still strong). One issue is that noise carries in the stone building - so light sleepers need to bring ear plugs.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Toro Hotel? Share your experiences!