“A piece of paradise” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 20 hotels in Ravello
Dublin
“A piece of paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

We were on our honeymoon and found the staff exceptionally friendly, like a family run hotel without being intrusive. We were given a choice of two rooms when we arrived. The restaurant is gorgeous and affords a stunning balcony of the amphitheatre to listen to the music during the summer. The pool area is nicely laid out and the location of the hotel is absolutely perfect, not right on the square but just a very short walk away. Ravello is a beautiful escape. I can't wait to go back!

The star rating in Italy is different to what I'm familiar with. This is not Hotel Ruffolo's fault. But a four star is not cheap. It's more likely based on the location and service, than spacious rooms. You get used to this and we appreciated the good qualities of the hotel. Again the breakfast is not what I would expect from a four star elsewhere. It was self service and items were replenished but not constantly. There was some scrambled egg and sausages as well as pastries, ham, cheese etc. But only one coffee dispenser and a toaster which took 2 slices at a time so you had to queue sometimes for your breakfast.

However overall we absolutely loved this hotel and Ravello. It is a peaceful, relaxed and friendly place. The rooms were cleaned daily and were spotless. I will most definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We were advised that there was going to be a wedding one evening but it would finish early. However...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

115 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Good hotel. the rooms are simple but large and have all you may need. The view on the rufolo villa were brilliant. Try to ask a room with a balcony. Most rooms have a small balcony where you cna fit two chairs, then if you upgrade you get the rooms on the 3rd floor with large balconies. Unfortunately, we got on this side the only room it seems that had no balcony at all (room 105). Still, the view was lovely.

The staff was very frienly without being overwhelming. Very hepful.

The breakfast offered various options. Not the best breakfast ever but enough to find something you are ahppy with. The restaurant on top has a fantastic terrace and beautiful view. the food was also good and good value.

It is located right in the centre of ravello, which is brilliant. very calm.
We had rented a car, which turned out to be this super long car and were worried with the access but even if th small road to access the hotel is a bit tricky it is totally doable. The staff will help you turn it around and park it in their front car park.

Pool was nice.

Caroline

Room Tip: Not sure if all rooms have a view on the Rufolo villa but definitly ask for it. Room 105 only one th...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Miami, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I stayed here for a couple of nights last June while on a Two week trip through Italy and this place was by far the worst place we stayed at. I will say that our room was big and ample and had a fantastic view of the Amalfi coast however everything else was sub par. I should also mention that this was one of the most expensive hotels we stayed at and we stayed at some very expensive hotels throughout our visit. On my first day here on my way to the pool I fell down the stairs as they were uneven and because the walls were lined with coral rock I ended up scraping the skin off most of my right forearm and hurting my Knee pretty bad. When I went into the hotel bleeding from my arm the staff was not very reactive to the situation I asked for a first aid kit and they brought out wah looked like an old box full of crumpled gauze and bandages they did not have anything that could help me. I went to the bathroom to clean my arm with water and soon was joined by some of the restaurant staff who helped me but the only thing they could find to disinfect the wounds was rubbing alcohol. Althoug I knew how much it was going to hurt I had no option but to use it as there was nothing else to sterilize the wound and I was afraid of infection. As you can imagine piuring alcohol into an open flesh would was excrusiatingly painful and still they could not produce a proper bandage so my partner had to take use his t-sirt to cover my wound until we could get to a pharmacy. The staff was pretty much oblivious to the whole thing and their attitude was did not reflect what I though was the urgency of the matter. Despite this I was determined to enjoy my time, after all it was a once in a lifetime trip for me and I did not want to have it ruined so we continued with our tours and sightseeing allbeit pain and all. No one ever inquired on how I was doing or provided any apologies throughout our stay. On top of that the service was really poor and the breakfast that was included with our stay was horrible, the bread was moldy and when we pointed out to the staff (when they bottered to show up) they just blew us off and did not even replace the rest of the bread just took our away. This place is not worth the money.

Halle, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

A very nice hotel in the center of Ravello. You can walk and visit Ravello on foot and enjoy its beauty. A good restaurant with a nice view.
Pay attention if you are coming by car: you have to pass through a very narrow street before entering the parking of the hotel.

Room Tip: Pay attention if you are arriving by car!
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

We spent 4 days at this fabulous hotel. We decided on a deluxe room which was spacious and well furnished with a spectacular view over the Amalfi coast.
The swimming pool and terrace were delightful and the staff very helpful. We did not eat in the hotel's restaurant but breakfast was served buffet-style on the terrace and was very good. The hotel was spotless and I would recommend Hotel Rufolo for those wanting a relaxing break, in easy reach of Amalfi, in the most beautiful setting.

Room Tip: Worth paying for the deluxe room - we were shown superior sea view rooms without a balcony - and it...
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Returning two years after our last visit, we worried that things might have changed and that the hotel may not meet expectations arising from our wonderful memories. No need, it was still everything we loved - views to die for, clean, spacious rooms, well appointed and comfortable, friendly service, and scrumptious food, from the breakfast, served on the terrace with that magnificent view, to the delicious seasonal foods served in the restaurant at dinner, and still that charming silver service that makes us feel indulged.

Room Tip: Book a room with a view of the sea - Ravello is all about that iconic vista.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

This hotel is located in the center of Ravello next to the famous Villa Rufolo (we could see it from our balcony). The room that we had was very spacious, airy, and had a small balcony overlooking the Villa Rufolo and the coastline. The views from our balcony were simply spectacular. The bed was very comfortable, and the bathroom had a separate bath and a shower. Wi-fi was complimentary, and it was working fine in the lobby as well as in our room. The breakfast buffet, on the other hand, wasn't as good (limited selection and the quality) as I experienced in other hotels, just OK - definitely don't use their automatic coffee/cappuccino machine as it makes horrible substance that doesn't deserve to be called coffee. Instead, ask one of the waiters to make coffee/cappuccino for you - it's free, and the quality is what you expect in Italy.
The other thing besides spectacular views that made me pick this hotel was their free parking. The only thing with parking to keep in mind is not to have a big car. I was driving Lancia Thema, which is the exact copy of Chrysler 300, and it could barely fit in the tunnel while getting to the hotel - I had to close side mirrors as I was afraid they were going to knock all the ceramics from the tunnel walls, and they I'd have to pay for them. Take a look at my pictures so you can see how wide that tunnel is.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Rufolo? Share your experiences!