“Highly disappointed other than the view this place is terrible” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel Rufolo
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via S. Francesco, 1, 84010 Ravello, Italy   |
Ranked #12 of 20 hotels in Ravello
Miami, Florida
“Highly disappointed other than the view this place is terrible”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I stayed here for a couple of nights last June while on a Two week trip through Italy and this place was by far the worst place we stayed at. I will say that our room was big and ample and had a fantastic view of the Amalfi coast however everything else was sub par. I should also mention that this was one of the most expensive hotels we stayed at and we stayed at some very expensive hotels throughout our visit. On my first day here on my way to the pool I fell down the stairs as they were uneven and because the walls were lined with coral rock I ended up scraping the skin off most of my right forearm and hurting my Knee pretty bad. When I went into the hotel bleeding from my arm the staff was not very reactive to the situation I asked for a first aid kit and they brought out wah looked like an old box full of crumpled gauze and bandages they did not have anything that could help me. I went to the bathroom to clean my arm with water and soon was joined by some of the restaurant staff who helped me but the only thing they could find to disinfect the wounds was rubbing alcohol. Althoug I knew how much it was going to hurt I had no option but to use it as there was nothing else to sterilize the wound and I was afraid of infection. As you can imagine piuring alcohol into an open flesh would was excrusiatingly painful and still they could not produce a proper bandage so my partner had to take use his t-sirt to cover my wound until we could get to a pharmacy. The staff was pretty much oblivious to the whole thing and their attitude was did not reflect what I though was the urgency of the matter. Despite this I was determined to enjoy my time, after all it was a once in a lifetime trip for me and I did not want to have it ruined so we continued with our tours and sightseeing allbeit pain and all. No one ever inquired on how I was doing or provided any apologies throughout our stay. On top of that the service was really poor and the breakfast that was included with our stay was horrible, the bread was moldy and when we pointed out to the staff (when they bottered to show up) they just blew us off and did not even replace the rest of the bread just took our away. This place is not worth the money.

117 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Halle, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

A very nice hotel in the center of Ravello. You can walk and visit Ravello on foot and enjoy its beauty. A good restaurant with a nice view.
Pay attention if you are coming by car: you have to pass through a very narrow street before entering the parking of the hotel.

Room Tip: Pay attention if you are arriving by car!
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

We spent 4 days at this fabulous hotel. We decided on a deluxe room which was spacious and well furnished with a spectacular view over the Amalfi coast.
The swimming pool and terrace were delightful and the staff very helpful. We did not eat in the hotel's restaurant but breakfast was served buffet-style on the terrace and was very good. The hotel was spotless and I would recommend Hotel Rufolo for those wanting a relaxing break, in easy reach of Amalfi, in the most beautiful setting.

Room Tip: Worth paying for the deluxe room - we were shown superior sea view rooms without a balcony - and it...
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Returning two years after our last visit, we worried that things might have changed and that the hotel may not meet expectations arising from our wonderful memories. No need, it was still everything we loved - views to die for, clean, spacious rooms, well appointed and comfortable, friendly service, and scrumptious food, from the breakfast, served on the terrace with that magnificent view, to the delicious seasonal foods served in the restaurant at dinner, and still that charming silver service that makes us feel indulged.

Room Tip: Book a room with a view of the sea - Ravello is all about that iconic vista.
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

This hotel is located in the center of Ravello next to the famous Villa Rufolo (we could see it from our balcony). The room that we had was very spacious, airy, and had a small balcony overlooking the Villa Rufolo and the coastline. The views from our balcony were simply spectacular. The bed was very comfortable, and the bathroom had a separate bath and a shower. Wi-fi was complimentary, and it was working fine in the lobby as well as in our room. The breakfast buffet, on the other hand, wasn't as good (limited selection and the quality) as I experienced in other hotels, just OK - definitely don't use their automatic coffee/cappuccino machine as it makes horrible substance that doesn't deserve to be called coffee. Instead, ask one of the waiters to make coffee/cappuccino for you - it's free, and the quality is what you expect in Italy.
The other thing besides spectacular views that made me pick this hotel was their free parking. The only thing with parking to keep in mind is not to have a big car. I was driving Lancia Thema, which is the exact copy of Chrysler 300, and it could barely fit in the tunnel while getting to the hotel - I had to close side mirrors as I was afraid they were going to knock all the ceramics from the tunnel walls, and they I'd have to pay for them. Take a look at my pictures so you can see how wide that tunnel is.

Romsey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Overall we were very happy with this hotel. Unlike another reviewer we had excellent service from the staff on the front desk, nothing was too much trouble. Our room was a large (superior?) double with a small but pretty balcony overlooking the beautiful coastline and the gardens of the Villa Rufolo next door. It was a quiet location yet only a few minutes walk from the Piazza Duomo, the centre of Ravello. On the down side, we felt the breakfast was poor, not much variety and the one hot dish was actually cold. For what we consider to be a fairly expensive hotel, this was disappointing and ought to be better. We tried the restaurant one evening, enjoyed the food and the service was good, however the ambience was a little lacking. Marvellous view though. The swimming pool looked inviting, although the weather was too cold for us to try it, however it is overlooked by the gardens of the Villa Rufolo next door, and your sunbathing could be a little public!

Room Tip: Some rooms have been refurbished, some have not. Our refurbished room was on the first floor with lo...
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

The Hotel Rufolo has beautiful views looking down the Amalfi coast. We stayed here on a hiking trip. The rooms are nice although vary significantly in size and location. The linens, towels and amenities are not of top quality. The breakfast and restaurant are just okay. The bar and the bartender were very nice.

The true downside was the front desk service. Several of the people acted as if we were interfering when we wanted to ask a question or get a key. You got different answers to requests depending on who was at the front desk.

Room Tip: The rooms on the top floors have only a partial view because of the roof.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Rufolo? Share your experiences!