“A beautiful stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Ravello
Italy
“A beautiful stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2007

Three days at the Caruso have been very well spent, even if we haven't had the best weather.
The view, the location, the large room were very good.
Even better were the attentive staff, the stunning pool, the more than beautiful gardens, perfectly kept by the gardener Gaetano, whose skills are divine.
The hotel is very pet friendly (we had our cocker spaniel with us and they pampered him), which is remarkably unique in the South of Italy 5 stars luxury hotels.
The only weak points were the meals (not exceptional and very slow) and the furniture, rather banal and out of contest.
All in all, the Caruso is a really beautiful hotel, my husband and I will return for sure and have already booked at the sister hotel Villa San Michele in Fiesole our Summer holiday.

• Liked — The gardens and the staff
  • Disliked — The dinner
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
North East, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2007

My husband and I celebrated our honeymoon at the Caruso in August 2006. After much searching for the perfect retreat on the Amalfi Coast, we settled on the Caruso and were not disappointed.

From drinking bellinis on the terrace, to the view from practically every window, to swimming in possibly one of the most amazing hotel pools, to dining on our balcony watching the fireworks mark the Assumption, our stay was sublime and I wouldn't change a thing.

The staff are friendly and attentive - our drinks order was remembered for the duration of our 10 night stay. The rooms are beautifully decorated - expect traditional decor rather than minimalist style. The outdoor facilities are stunning - the view, pool and gardens really do add the finishing touch to this beautiful hotel. Overall the ambience of this hotel made our experience magical.

I have to disagree with poor reviews re the concierge facilities as we had no issues here at all and were advised of some great places to eat and visit both in Ravello and further afield at Positano and Capri.

I would come back here every year to mark our anniversary but there are too many other wonderful places to visit. We were so impressed by our stay that we have booked a trip to one of the Caruso's sister hotels - the Villa San Michele - for our anniversary this year.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
jumps, GM at Belmond Hotel Caruso, responded to this review, April 13, 2007
Hello. I am the GM of the Hotel Caruso.Thank you very much for your lovely comments. Comments like yours keep us happy and proud to make our job. Please try to come back to visit us or do not hesitate to contact me in case of reservations in our sister hotels. Giampaolo Ottazzi
St. Albans
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2007

Honeymoon to die for - or so we thought. Looking back on it the place was special- I agree with the pool selling the place and expected a magical 3 nights when we stayed in June and it eventually was. To arrive excited at 5pm and then the sheer shock of not being told we had a room owing to a mix up (hotel at fault not the agent) at what is easily the most exclusive place we will ever stay in was unforgivable. We were upset and I could never say given our reaction that I would call the staff our friends. Have to say this did tarnish the 3 nights as playing catch up was the next best option. TVs at the end of the bed, room service and breakfast was every bit as good as we expected.
PS - anyone get waterbombed walking back up the alley after pizza on the square = we did and can laugh now but beware kids above you....
to be fair the mayor we met was apologetic and the hotel owner also generous in his apologies and flowers.
felt the restaurant mixed - the head guy (who looks like robert de niro from cape fear?) wasn't exactly welcoming and we felt even a little arrogant at times. memorable if not all for the right reasons and for the price you expect it to be faultless don't you?

Stayed June 2006
McLean VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2007

We have stayed here two times so far and going back for the third time this summer.
We have stayed in the best hotels in Europe including Sasso and believe this is one of the best maybe the best.
Readers should remember they are in Amalfi coast of Itlay and they are going to get different service and decor compare to other hotels such as george V in Paris.
We have two kids ages 6 and 9 and they can not wait to go bank and see the place and staff. Carlo and Vitto by the pool and resturant are great.
We look forward to our trip this summer.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — getting there
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York/ London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2007

My wife and I have been fortunate to stay at the very best hotels around the world..Peninsula Hong Kong, Oriental Bangkok, Buckland Manor England, Chatueau Les Crayeres Reims France, George V Paris and the Amandari/ Amankila in Bali. We were very concerned about staying due to the all of the negative reviews and from those we knew who had bad experiances here. I admit we were sold by the layout of the pool.
To start off the room decor is average at best . Our junior suite had a FULL coastal sea view. Not sure why the outdoor dining area overlooking the coast had a plexy glass shield enclosure around the deck. I felt like I was at a hockey game while trying to look out . The Sasso next store doesn't feel the need to make this mistake. Being enclosed by this glass takes away from the view. Its not as if a little wind in your face would ruin the ambiance or make one too cool. To makes things worse , when we were eating dinner , a series of red heating lamps were extended above the seating area. I felt I was in the movie Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind. One of the guest complained about being too cool. These over hanging heating lights engulfed the seating area so much that you couldn't see out onto the coast ( due to the reflection of the over head heating lights hitting the plexi glass shield surrounding the seating area) or see the stars above in the clear nights sky.

Someone on this sight stated that the food was superb at dinner...far from reality if you ask me. Our risotto and fish dishes were very bland and over cooked. I am not going to say anything negative about the wait staff at dinner as they tired very hard to accomodate everyone.

I can easily say that the Caruso is ALL ABOUT THE POOL. The pool layout is the signature of this hotel. The dining area for lunch around the pool is well laid out. The food here turned out to be OK. The female waitress in her mid 20's needs to learn that you shouldn't scowl at every person she is waiting on.

We had learned from an insider that the concierge's at the Caruso get paid from the restaurants they send hotel guest too. The restaurants they suggested are hardly the top choices along the coast. I heard from other guest from all over the world that the conciege's did a lousy job . For example, we were told by the concierge that a particular pattern of plates that we saw at lunch could only be purchased at a shop an hour south of the hotel not only to learn later that it could be purchased in the hotel gift shop.

Here comes the clincher for me. My wife purchased a pottery pattern which included a dinner plate, salad plate and a cup from the hotel gift shop. THE FEMALE WHO WAITED ON HER INSISTED THAT THAT THEY HAVE SHIPPED ALL OVER THE WORLD WITH PERFECT SUCCESS. I had a lot of doubts due to hearing stories of pottery being destroyed while being shipped to the states. When we received the pottery at home from the Hotel Caruso. all of the pieces had been destroyed. The plates were stacked one on top of the other with no bubble wrap between them. The bubble wrap they used was so thin that it would not have protected anything. The cups were stacked on top of the plates in a thin and useless bubble wrap. The shipment had no chance of not being crushed. When we notified AMEX. PLATINUM, the Hotel Caruso told them that the merchandise we had purchased is not refundable or returnable even though the Caruso failed to ship the items properly. They also failed to insure the items when they shipped them. Amex Plat. refund us for this purchase . The Caruso is not a reputable place to stay. It is very much over hyped due to the layout of the pool.

Next year my wife and I will go next store to the Sasso where they are ranked as the best hotel in Italy not to mention the top rated food hotel in Europe according to the new Conde Nast Gold List.
Happy New Year !

• Stayed June 2006
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
jumps, General Manager at Belmond Hotel Caruso, responded to this review, January 10, 2007
It is always with pleasure that we read our guest's comments that for us mean the possibility to "inspect" our services, find our weak points and try to improve them!
In this particular case I am really sorry that I could not have the possibility to talk directly with the Client and have from him a direct feed back of his stay at the Caruso.
I would like to explain that we put plexy glass on our outdoor restaurant terrace after beginning of October because sometime this is the only way to enjoy having dinner outside in Ravello during this period.
I am very sorry to hear that there is someone between our staff that still believe that our concierge get paid by external restaurants. If this would be the case he would be no longer working here. His job is to suggest the best restaurants in the area following the needs of our guests and their particular food and ambience preferences.
About the pottery bought at our boutique I would like deeply apologise if they are arrived destroyed. Unfortunately I have never received a complaint about this. In this case I would have provided to replace them immediately!
I kindly ask this Guest to contact me at the Hotel and I will be pleased to resend him the broken pottery...this time with a better attention to the wrapping!
I would like also to invite this Guest, next time he will be in Ravello, to pass at the Caruso and ask for me; I will be pleased to meet him and his wife and have them at lunch or dinner.
Again thank you very much for the constructive comments.
Giampaolo Ottazzi
Hotel Caruso, Ravello

Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2006

I read all of these reviews before we stayed at the Caruso and I must say I was concerned. The hotel of course looked beautiful on the website, but after having read some of the reviews, I was worried that our big splurge would turn out to be our biggest disappointment on our trip. Have no fear, this hotel is perfection in every sense! All of my concerns were alleviated one after the other from the moment we arrived.

We received a welcoming tour of the hotel, where every view of the water and mountains (from the bar to the little sunroom off the bar to the pool) took our breath away. Believe me when I tell you it is better that what is on the internet.

As we were early, our room was not yet ready and we had lunch by the pool. My husband and I are foodies and have eaten at some of the best restaurants in the world including the French Laundry in Napa. After that amazing experience, we have been continously disappointed with expensive restaurants that proclaim perfection and yet under-deliver. Having already had two disappointing experiences at expensive restaurants in Italy and having read some of these reviews, we were fully prepared for the Caruso to under-deliver. We were completely wrong, the food was amazing and I would put it on par with the best restaurants in the world. It was nothing fancy and would therefore most likely not earn any Michelin stars or accolades like the French Laundry, but it was simple food at perfection. Everything was beyond fresh and in keeping with the regional ingredients and specialties. The antipasti bar is perfection, fresh pizza wonderful. My husband asked for a dish that was not on the menu of pasta and clams and it was delivered. Our feelings were further confirmed at dinner, the appetizer of different types of mozzarella and tomatoes was out of this world. I have never tasted mozzarella like this in my life. In all of our food experiences in Italy, the mozzarella was the biggest surprise and the biggest difference between American and Italian ingredients. Service was excellent, all the courses arrived perfectly timed. The staff was friendly and not stuffy at all. Very professional, and wonderful to talk to at the bar before and after dinner.

The last concern I had had after reading the reviews was the room. Again, all fears were gone the moment we entered. The view alone is worth $1,000 and therefore everything else is received at a bargain. If you are going to splurge on this hotel, take that extra step and splurge on the view. It is worth every penny and more.

I must agree with the reviewer who wrote that they could not believe that anyone would write a bad review about this hotel. It was absolute perfection and we would stay there again in a second!

Stayed September 2006
Beverly Hills, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2006

My husband and I just returned from our honeymoon where we spent 5 days at the Hotel Caruso. I must say that we have traveled to many first class hotels around the world and this one is one of the best.

I can't imagine anyone giving a bad review to this place. Not only is the view and pool 10 times better than in the pictures (really!), the food, staff, service and rooms are all top rate. We ate breakfast, lunch and dinner at the hotel because the food was great. Everything is fresh and they do not hesitate to make something for you that is not on the menu. Carlo at the bar and Giovanni, the head waiter, are magnificent and made us feel like were guests in a private home as opposed to just another number at a hotel. All of the waiters, not just Giovanni, aimed to please and were very attentive.

While you lay by the pool, the pool staff pass out cold towels and complimentary fresh fruit. Try the fresh made pizza's by the pool! Our room was very spacious and had an amazing terrace with never ending views of the sea (Room 202). When we entered our room on the first night, it was decorated with flowers on the bed, floating candles and roses in the bath tub, champagne, and soft music playing on the surround sound. They didn't miss any detail.

I read many of the reviews before our trip and had some concerns. I must tell you that we found none of the complaints on this website to be true and it is worth the money to stay at the Hotel Caruso.

During our stay we also checked many other hotels in the area, like La Sirenuse, and found the Hotel Caruso to be the best hotel in the Amalfi Coast. We stayed at a great 5 star hotel in Crete (Elounda Peninsula All Suite-which we also loved) and the Hotel De Russie in Rome (which doesn't even come close to the level of Hotel Caruso). The people at Hotel Caruso, especially Giovanni and Carlo, made our stay a little piece of heaven. We cannot wait to go back!

• Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Belmond Hotel Caruso? Share your experiences!