“A very special place.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 21 hotels in Ravello
Malaga, Spain
“A very special place.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I have stayed two times at the Caruso, and it really is a spectacular place. We stayed in the Greta Garbo Suite, and it was wonderfully spacious and comfortable, with a marvellous bathroom full of Penhaligon products. Service is not obsequious, but efficient, helpful and formal - I like it that way. The infinity pool is really the jewel in the crown, and there is a lovely bistro style restaurant next to it, for lunching with spectacular views to the sea below. That said, I do have to admit that I have never paid so much money for a pizza in all my life. We dined twice in the restaurant, food was delicious, and service was attentive. The only thing I didn't enjoy was the loud and klangy piano in the bar (perhaps Orient-Express would consider hiring a piano tuner or technician some afternoon in the not too distant future) I have stayed at a lot of 5 star hotels, and it would be difficult to find fault with this special, albeit very pricey hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

392 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Geelong, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

In Oct' 2011, I took my new(ish) husband to Europe for his first EU experience. I'm lucky to be able to travel to Europe every year for work, and I had even holidayed in the Amafi Coast before (5 years earlier). I knew that this region of Italy would be seeing me again. It's stunning. So when the time came for me to plan a 3 week vacation in Europe with hubby, I wanted to show him the best of the best. Most of our 3 weeks were spent in Italy, and the Amalfi Coast received most of our attention. We stayed first in Positano and then a few days up in Ravello.
We keep dreaming about Hotel Caruso; the beauty of the property, the amazing pool, the delectable food in their restuarant and the views. Wow. We loved everything, from the charming elegant feel of the hotel decor to the friendly and personable staff. There were other wonderful touches like prosseco & fruit on arrival & my favourite Bvlgari ammeities in the bathroom. Sure, it may seem pricey, but here I am more than a year after our stay, still dreaming about our experience and wanting BADLY to go back. I know we will be back... This is a place worth every cent.
Ravello is such a wonderful town, with plenty to do - the gardens & villas are breathtaking, the ceramics / pottery are exquisite, the food - Mama Mia!, the gelato shop to the left side of the church.... Ahh...

Room Tip: We stayed in the cheapest room category but felt like we were in the best room in the house. We had...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

I very much enjoyed the luxury of this hotel. 1000ft above sea level upon a mountain. Best views and very pretty surroundings.

My review is mixed.
I was amazed by the gardens, the infinity pool, the food and also by the price!
The suites are quite special with great views from your balcony. Nice decor, clean modern yet in keeps with Italian style.
The food at the lunch buffet is so good. Fresh seafood and healthy food I did enjoy and endulge.
The staff round the pool are attentive and friendly.

However I was surprised by this hotel. I hope not to come accross rude but this is quite a romantic secluded special place, then you have very young children running around.
I wouldn't mind that if these particular kids were not such spolit brats!!

For the price per night you would spoil yourself to get away with your partner. We seemed to avoid the pool during the day because we couldn't relax and there was no peace and quiet.

I was also surprised our final bill was charged €600 euros extra for a dinner we never had. This took until I got home to realise and it was hard to resolve. The staff were not at their most helpful.
We got a refund back and no offer of an apology or anything. That's a lot of money!
Also the concierge was rude to us after we cancelled a trip before travelling, and this was not communicated. Not my fault but was angry at his attitude.

I used the spa services and had a massage but it was quite basic nothing special I would rave about.

It is lovely but it is also expensive.
The location is a taxi ride down the mountain to get to restaurants. We had a nice meal out but the food was average.

• Stayed August 2012
Jersey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Mrs D is known to have high expectations when it comes to hotel service. The staff at the Caruso even impressed her, which is verging on miraculous! They are amazing, truly hospitable, this is what I call proper service!

Rooms are spacious with the most fantastic views... Cookery classes are a must, as is lazing by the beautiful pool and sipping bellinis before dining alfresco. The food is as magnificent as the view.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Holbæk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

We were there in week 42/ 2012
And the hotel and staff live up to whats written on the homepage , and more. Everuthing is what it seems to be on the pics.Only irl.
Infinity pool amazing
Breakfast included, also wonderfull.
Can be recommended- for everyone who wants to get peace of mind, and wonderfull memories.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

As this is our Silver Wedding Anniversary year we decided to stay at the Hotel Caruso, although we were only staying in Ravello for one night - we visit every year but have never stayed at this hotel before. Yes it is a lot of money, but it is worth every penny and you will not regret it! We had a truly amazing magical experience. The staff are extremely professional, helpful and friendly. OUr room was simply amazing. The view IS stunning, but many hotels also offer this view, BUT you will not find rooms quite like these! Immaculate with everything you could wish for. The hotel infinity pool is wonderful AND heated - we went swimming even though it's the end of October! Very peaceful and quiet location. We will DEFINITELY be back. My husband says he will never stay anywhere else whenever we visit Ravello!

Room Tip: We were in Room 102, think it was a Deluxe room but not sure! It was an AMAZING room with a beautif...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Faultless service and stunning facilities including one of the most incredible views from a pool that you will find anywhere. We also had an incredible dinner here that remains one of my culinary highlights of Italy. Without a doubt, you get what you pay for... a lot.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Belmond Hotel Caruso? Share your experiences!