“Guest service that will exceed your expectations!” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Complimentary Third Night
Ranked #3 of 21 hotels in Ravello
Edmonton, Canada
“Guest service that will exceed your expectations!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

I'm shocked to see the reviews posted about Hotel Caruso. Did these people stay in the same hotel my husband and I did? As many know word of mouth is the best reference one could obtain prior to a dream vacation. While we are seasoned travellers, we were at a loss as to where to book our accommodation while travelling along the divine Amalfi Coast last September. That was until our friends recommended Hotel Caruso in Ravello. After researching the property and browsing the website the decision was made. Our expectations I have to admit were very high as we were about to experience the luxury Orient Express brand and travel to one of the most beautiful places in the world. Hotel Caruso was absolutely gorgeous! From the awe-inspiring view from the infinity pool to the luxury spa, we were hypnotized by the beautiful surroundings of the hotel. The late September 2011 heat wave added to our pleasure while relaxing on our balcony of our suite. The front desk attendants were very helpful and friendly, and the restaurant gourmet dining experience and staff were exquisite. We were told by our friends that if we needed any arrangements from the Concierge desk a gentleman named Gennaro would be most helpful and the best resource for transfers, dining, excursions and sight-seeing suggestions. We were more than pleased when we met Gennaro. His polite manner, personable approach and guest service was not only welcoming, he exceeded our expectations by coordinating all our arrangements without a flaw. No stress for us. I can’t say enough about our trip to the Amalfi Coast and our stay at Hotel Caruso, but I will say the overall property and guest experience at this hotel will definitely exceed your expectations and create a memory of a lifetime.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

392 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

it is hard to describe the Caruso going beyind what has been written already. I will always remember how attentive staff were (although checkout lady should have been far friendlier given what I paid), the great feeling when I dived into the infinity pool, the breathtaking views, the wonderful drinks, the best (!) breakfast I have ever had (and I am a food nut)...YET, it all comes at an exaggerated price. I was on my honeymoon so was quite happy to splash out for a few days. Yet, upon reflection I have to recognize that probably Caruso is not worth the money that it charges. The rooms are sensational (some slight defects in the second room we stayed at, but really minor stuff), the food is superb etc etc. However...again...having visited tonnes of hotels also in expensive parts of the world, the prices here were quite simply astronomical.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
FrancoGirasoli, Direttore at Belmond Hotel Caruso, responded to this review, June 15, 2012
Dear Sirs,

I do appreciate a lot your important feedback on the Hotel Caruso. I thank you very much for all fabulous comments on the hotel itself and our incredible staff. It is the best compliment to get to know that you have enjoyed your honeymoon a lot while staying with us!

As for your comments on the high hotel prices I just would like to mention that Hotel Caruso provides many added values to all our clients, such as complimentary shuttle bus to Amalfi and Positano six and two times per day accordingly which other hotels do not do for their clients on a free basis and free of charge 2 hours boat trip along the gourgeous Amalfi Coast. Moreover, there is no additional supplement for a big number of specially prepared à la carte dishes and drinks at our buffet breakfast. These are just few things which are highly appreciated by our clientele and I personally do receive continuously many rewarding comments.

Once again thank you very much for your important feedback and with kindest regards,

San Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

Ravello is definitely the place to stay on the Amalfi coast, much less touristy (if that is possible in this area) than Amalfi or Positano. The Caruso is in a fabulous location and our room (a junior suite) was quite large with a separate living room and a very generously appointed and sized bath and closet area in addition to a lovely bedroom. The views are to die for and the deck/terrace is a nice touch. The restaurant, however, is extremely pretentious and the prices are simply excessive--there are many better quality (let alone less expensive) places to fine. And the prices (for everything, including the room) are simply too high--3 times, for instance, what we paid for a suite in Vienna. The service is quite good and attentive. If you balance the 5 star room and service with a 1 star price, you come out with 3 stars. We did not explore other hotel options in Ravello while we were there--we were enjoying our time--but I am sure you can do much better on a price/quality of room and experience scale. And in no case should you use the restaurant in any event.

Dear Sirs,

First of all, I would like to sincerely thank you for your compliments on the hotel, as well as detailed feedback which I find as very significant for us.

I do regret to hear that you have found our restaurant as very expensive one, nevertheless I would like to underline that certainly there is a difference between a local family-owned restaurant with its annual fixed menu and completely different type of operation and a five-star luxurious hotel outlets offering diverse menus and functioning almost 24 hours a day with involvement of a top professional staff. We are also very honoured to have as a part of our staff a top professional Sommelier organizing exclusive wine-testings with a large celection of the vintage wines coming from all over the world. All these factors and more are definitely leading to different costs.

Also, we are advising our clients about a daily opportunity to enjoy either lunch or dinner on a Half-board basis at only 84 Euro per person at our main restaurant with its highlights of traditional Mediterranean cuisine and spectacular views over the Amalfi Coast. The clients are free to choose any dish from our “à la carte” menu with an exception just to few supplements of specific dishes, while beverages are charged as taken. The guests not staying at the hotel are offered our special three course menu "Chef's Suggestions of the Day" at the same reasonable price of 84 Euro per person. Actually many of our clients are very enthusiastic to accept these proposals and leave lots of positive comments about a proper combination of food quality, service and price level in the restaurant. The fact that this season the number of outside guests visiting our restaurants have already doubled in comparison with the last year speaks for itself.

Dear Sirs, I do hope to get another chance to welcome and serve you at Hotel Caruso Belvedere, meanwhile I remain

With my kindest regards,

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

This hotel has a pool that is truly amazing, views to die for, great staff for the most part, good food and has a great location. The prices are very high though, one drink costs 21.5 Euros at the bar which comes out to $29.46!!! Those high prices are not limited to the drinks, the food, rooms and everything else is extremely expensive. As my TripAdvisor account will show I've traveled to Italy before and I know what things should cost, these prices are very high. We were also informed by locals that the hotels concierge staff pushes their guests to whatever shops and services that pay them the most. Many local shops can't afford to pay these bribes so they keep losing business to shops in other towns. Check out the city, they have some amazing shops and restaurants, the people in the town are so friendly but I would NOT recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Request a list of all charges that will come with your room, compare that to the charges when you ch...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dear Sirs,

On behalf of entire team I thank you very much for your time in sharing your feedback on Hotel Caruso. I have already highlighted our staff on the exceptional performance and warmest hospitality they are providing to all our guests.

I am sorry to hear that you have found our hotel very expensive, at the same time I would like to notice that there are many services provided by the hotel on a complimentary basis. As an example, there is no additional supplement for a big number of specially prepared à la carte dishes and drinks at our buffet breakfast. Moreover, we offer a complimentary shuttle bus to Amalfi (6 times) and Positano (2 times) during the day and a free of charge more than 2 hours boat trip to discover all romantic and hidden bays along Amalfi Coast. I personally receive a big number of positive comments from the guests that all these services are very much appreciated by them. Also, it has to be mentioned that all prices are subject to 10% VAT, therefore they appear 10% higher on the final bill.

As for your comment about our Concierge staff I have to say that they are all top professionals who are working at the company for more than 25 years and striving to deliver the best service and quality to all our clientele. Since the very opening of the hotel in 2005 they are selecting and contracting only the best and most reliable suppliers in entire Amalfi Coast. Daily we do receive a lot of rewarding letters praising the products and services provided by our suppliers. I do understand that there are many other local companies which are not in our list of suppliers and this fact might make them quite unhappy.

Thank you very much again for your valuable comments!

Sincerely yours,

Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for two nights in the first half of May.
The hotel is situated on the cleaf in the hiltop town Ravello in 15 min drive from the sea it offers 360 degrees breathtaking view to the coast and the mountains the veiw is realy fantastic and it is worth to come to the place just because of it. The hotel is very good the rooms while being a bit worn off are very clean and well maintained, the bathrooms are cristal clean and the toiletry items are of excelent quality. Perfect interior for old fashion romantism lovers ( actually my wife is the one).
The restaurant in the hotel has a lovely terras with gorgeous veiw to the coast, as for the food I agree with the other comments that it could have been better. We took local mozzarella selection for the starter --  the cheese was acidish not different from the one that you can get  in a corner shop in any place of the world for a few dollars a pack. The other dishes did not impress us much either.
The service in the hotel is superb everybody is friendly polite and very attentive, this part could not have been better.
The majour problem that we had there is consierge. Firstly a few weeks before the visit I wrote to him to order an excursion and transfer, but did not get reply within days, I had to call hotel rep in my country to reach him. In the end I got the quotation but the price was 30% higher than I had already got from my mastercard travel service that is not cheap by itself. I also asked the consierge for the recomendation of a restaurant in the vicinity (obviousely we did not want to go to the hotel for dinner again) and he recommended a 15 min drive place, I asked if i need a taxi to get there but he said that they would take us there by the hotel car it was said in a way that I assumend that it is either complimentary or at least the same price as the taxi. I was very surprised to find 155 euro charge for this transfer in my bill. Just to compare a 75 min trip to Naples by taxi costs 150 euro. Also we ordered a transfer to Napoly that was quoted at 250 euro, but it became 275 in the bill. We went to Positano by a free shuttle bus and decided to return by a public boat, since we were the only people in the shuttle bus I decided to call consierge to cancel the bus (just out of general kindness and for the sake of environment) and consirege told that they would pick us up from the boat and take to the hotel, again it was told as granted and it was reasonable because the shuttle bus would have to go to that town anyway. This pick up has appeared to be another 42 euro in my bill. If we new that they would charge us for this we would have spent more time in the town especialy when we had to go there again after a few hours to the restaurant.
These charges of course are not great amount of money but it just leaves unpleasant feeling, and spoils all the impression of the hotel, you do not expect to be cheated in five stars hotel in Europe.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
FrancoGirasoli, Manager at Belmond Hotel Caruso, responded to this review, June 6, 2012
Dear Sirs,

Let me first of all sincerely thank you for taking the time and sharing your valuable comments.
I am very pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay at the Hotel Caruso and I already highlighted my staff on their very positive and polite performance.

I do bring my apologies for our late reply to your initial letter of 23rd April which have been caused by internal technical interruption and would like to assure you that we are very precisely following the standards of providing response to our customers within 24 hours.

Traditionally we are ordering the highest quality products from the Amalfi Coast suppliers and mozzarella served in our restaurants is undoubtedly certified and controlled by accredited institutions, so I was really sorry to know that you had a taste of acidity.

As for the services' price difference, unfortunately, I am not in a situation to comment on MasterCard Travel Service charges, as they are definitely collaborating with various suppliers which normally leads to variety in prices and quality of service. Also, I can not compare the city taxi with the Hotel Caruso chauffeur service which complies with the highest standards of certification, guests' security and the quality provided. As you also may have noticed all our drivers are English-speaking. All the transfers' prices quoted are the Hotel Caruso charges and are subject to 10% VAT, which converts them into final sums on your bill.

Dear Sirs, I do understand your point that our Concierges might have been communicating more clearly the difference between the scheduled free shuttle bus to Ravello-Amalfi-Positano and our private chauffeur service organized on your preferred timing, but there is absolutely no intention of any hidden charges from our side as pointed in your letter. Moreover, I have greeted you on your departure and was absolutely sure that you checked and confirmed the charges on your proforma-invoice before settling the amount of the final bill. Certainly, in case you would have brought this issue to my attention on the spot, I would be glad to clarify the situation immediately in order not to leave you with such an impression.

I do hope that I will have a pleasure of welcoming and serving you and your friends again at the Hotel Caruso in the nearest future, meanwhile I remain,

Sincerely yours,

Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for two nights in the first half of May.
The restaurant in the hotel has a lovely terras with gorgeous veiw to the coast, as for the food I agree with the other comments that it could have been better. We took local mozzarella selectin for the starter --  the cheese was acidish not different from the one that you can get  in a corner shop in any place of the world for a few dollars a pack. The other dishes did not impress us much either.
These charges of course are not great amount of money but it just leaves unpleasant filling, and spoils all the impression of the hotel, you do not expect to be cheated in five star hotel in. Europe.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

I hardly know where to begin. I am a hotel snob. And picky. My husband never lets a bellman bring a bag to a room until I have seen it since he knows it is likely we will move if the stars are not aligned properly.

There was no changing of rooms at Hotel Caruso. We were taken to a lovely junior suite with a balcony and breathtaking view of the Amalfi Coast below. The view from bathroom was equally spectacular. We even had two bathrooms which came in surprisingly handy. The room itself was gorgeous and comfortable. I loved the CD player with built-in speakers throughout the suite, including the bathroom. Huge space, beautiful linens and Bulgari toiletries. What's not to like?

We had a vow renewal ceremony at the hotel arranged with the help of Jacquie and Kim at the Amalfi Experience. We also had several dealings with the darling Tiziana, who manages events at the hotel. We could not have felt more tended to by these lovely, knowledgeable people.

The grounds are breath-taking. The service from everyone; the front desk, the housekeepers, the restaurant staff is beyond anything I have ever experienced. I'm such a klutz, I slipped and fell one night. After calling for ice to put on my arm, which came immediately, I received an immediate call from the front desk to determine if I needed any assistance. Shortly thereafter, Tiziana called to see how she might help me.

Expensive? Yes. But I guarantee you this: if you are looking for that special place, unlike anything else, a place you will remember with such fondness, this is it. I got tears in my eyes when I left and would have been quite sad except my husband promised we will return.

Go. Splurge. There is really nothing else like it.

Room Tip: I would call and speak directly with the hotel and let them guide you to selecting the room that sui...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Belmond Hotel Caruso? Share your experiences!