“best hotel on the Amalfi coast and one of the best in the world” 5 of 5 stars

Palazzo Avino
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via San Giovanni del Toro 28, 84010 Ravello, Italy   |
Ranked #1 of 20 hotels in Ravello
London
“best hotel on the Amalfi coast and one of the best in the world”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2010

The hotel's website doesnt quite prepare you for just how stunning the whole place is. The views, the building, the gardens and the spa pool area are amazing. The staff and food and service in general are fab.

The food at breakfast, lunch and the michelin restaurant Rosselini's is so yummy and great choice.

The staff are so helpful without being OTT and that faux Italian leary O sole mio business. It was telling that so many people felt comfortable enough to be able to ask italian grammar questions to the staff.

The pool staff clean your sunglasses if you want, they are there without disturbing, they give you binoculars to explore the view and a charming touch is they give you a shot of lemon granita in the afternoons. There is also an array of books in all languages available in case you have finished your own books early like I did.

The hotel is in the "nicest" bit of the town and the town itself is full of history and sites and great restaurants. I also appreciated that on a day where half of it was cloudy - we had the refuge of the spa and hot tub and steam saunas to occupy our time in a leisurely way.

You also get to choose which range of Bvlgari products you get the following day! They are also a generous size - loved that bit. Also, you get to choose between 3 types of bed sheets - linen, silk, and cotton and a pillow menu...I tried them all for fun!

It is now officially one of my favourite places in the world and I have to go back. I am in withdrawal right now.

There is a downside in that I stayed in a standard room so there were a few noise issues as walls must have been thin but that was easily overcome with earplugs.

I then went on to Hotel Santa Margherita in Amalfi which is a 5 star L hotel as well but when I got there it felt like a run down 3 star hotel. I then realized just days before I got spoiled by Palazzo Sasso I would have loved it.

I was tempted by Hotel Caruso next door before I booked and granted they have an amazing pool - but once I actually got there and visited the hotel - the mood there when I visited wasn't the same so while I am tempted to stay there just the one night just for the pool -there are rumours about snakes in the gardens( there might be a nest there ) - it scares the bejeezuz out of me. The staff seemed a little grumpier and other than the gardens the view was exactly the same as Sasso.

Visit. You won't regret it.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

419 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2010

This place is AMAZING! The staff is wonderful, the hotel is unique, the view is breathtaking! Compared to other hotels in the amalfi coast, you won't find anything better than the Palazzo Sasso!

Peterborough
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2010

This hotel is very good. The amenities and the rooms are excellent, and staff cannot do enough to help. I'm 6 months pregnant and the staff really made sure I was looked after. Rossellinis restaurant is excellent - one of the best we've even been to. As I'm pregnant there's quite a lot of things I can't eat (shellfish etc). The waiters were brilliant and made sure that everything they brought me was ok for me to eat. The views from the hotel are some of the best in Ravello, and it's in a very peaceful location. We'll definitely be back. We also arranged a trip to Pompeii through the hotel - they organised a guide and everything. It was fairly expensive, but worth every penny. The guide was fantastic.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2010

Service, rooms, breakfast, views, lounge, location were all fantastic. We visited for my wife's 50th birthday and could not have enjoyed our stay more. We loved Ravello. It had a less crowded, more quiet and romantic atmosphere than Sorento, Positano or Amalfi. Palazzo Sasso was about a one hour car ride from Naples Airport with beautiful view of the ocean and cliffs. The staff was fantastic! They spoke excellent english, were very accomedating and their attention to detail was amazing. They remembered our names and made us feel like they were happy for the opportunity to help with any request or to answer any question. The breakfast had delicious fruits, meats, cheeses, breads, eggs and juices. We have stayed at Four Seasons, Ritz Carltons and Fairmount Gold Level and never had as nice a hotel experience.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2010

My husband didn't initially tell me the price of this hotel but 2 days in when I found out I couldn't complain. It was worth every penny. When it came to completing the suggestions card the only things I could come up with were larger rooms and a lift from the spa to reception but I am 7.5 months pregnant so that could explain my attitude!
The service was exceptional from reception to the bar and the pool area. I felt as if everyone was trying to make my stay that little bit better which is exactly what you want from a hotel but I had yet to achieve until Palazzo Sasso. We were originally booked in to the Carusso and after a quick drink there we came away feeling very smug that we had changed our minds.
I have a feeling this hotel will spoil all future holidays for us.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2010 via mobile

We stayed at Palazzo Sasso while on our honeymoon. Nothing but the best. Very friendly and helpful staff. Very clean rooms and with turn down service you can request linen, cotton or satin sheets. AMAZING view of the med from our room. Very close to town square in ravello. More romantic than we could have imagined!!

• Stayed May 2010
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2010

Having first visited the Palazzo Sasso on our honeymoon in 2003, we have been back on two separate occasions since. i only wish we could afford to stay every year. There is no doubt that it is expensive and that the rooms are on the small side, but it is worth every cent. The view, the staff, the food (dinner and breakfast), Ravello, all combine to make a wonderful experience. i'm not sure when we will get the chance to return, but I can but hope!

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple

Been to Palazzo Avino? Share your experiences!