“Exquisite hideout..” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Ravello
Istanbul
“Exquisite hideout..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

(This place deserve another category, it is an insult to call this place a hotel!)

Perched on the high hills of Ravello, overlooking the magnificent Amalfi Coast, on its own botanical gardens established by English travellers of the time, more than a hundred years ago, stands Villa Cimbrone, 12th century residence with its private chappel.

It is only 10 mins walk from Ravello villace square. We have discovered this place while staying in another very very nice boutique hotel but I dont remember the name after seeing this one(!) when we walked into its beautiful gardens which is a village attraction as it is open to public. The gardens are established by two Englishmen about a century ago, it covers the hilltops of a ridge that goes all the way to the edge, to the sheer drop over the citrus plantations below overlooking the Amalfi Coast. Scattered sculptures blend into the garden, allowing one to take quite walks at this magnificent place.

The villa is from 12th century; I think it is an old monastry but I am not sure. It is placed on the left once you enter the gardens. It is a beautiful italian classic, not exagrated or heavy with new-rich extravaganza. Its bright rooms with high ceilings are beatifully furnished reflecting the history of the villa with a small balcony that opens to views of Amalfi Coast.

Its small restaurant is just as classy and the food is exquisite. You have to book as it is not only for the staying guests.

I remember sitting by the pool, facing the view on one side and the 12th century building on the other and thinking how privilidged I was.

I assume they have, maybe 5-10 rooms at most but it feels like that you are all by yourself, so quite, so private. We have witnessed a few very very small wedding ceremonies during our stay, mostly out in the garden, accompanied by a cello and a violin, so even though such events at a place you stay may make the place unbearable, these made the place even more 'fairy tale'-like.

The village itself, Ravello, is a hide-out. Away from the tourist crowded coastline down below, Ravello is on the hill tops, about 8km inland from Amalfi. It is as if time has stoped at this place. Its village square is filled with locals enjoying the afternoon, kids wandering freely on their bikes while parents enjoy their coffee.

This little place that looks so closed to the rest of the world, hosts an annual music festival around July for the past 30 odd years. We had the privilage of enjoying a Lemon Dance Company show on a stage facing the Amalfi Coast's on a moonlit summer night. The two Bach concerts on two consequtive nights are performed by a Japanese soloist, out in the couryard of the village monastry, starting at midnight. No stage, no lined up seats but simple coffee tables at a couryard under the summer sky. Does it get any better?!

During your stay in Ravello, you can also easily visit other parts of the region. You can walk down to the coast; there is a pathway apart from the road that connects Amalfi and Ravello. Or you can take the village bus which drops you by the coast.

Once you are in Amalfi, you can take the public ferry to all sorts of touristic destinations, like Positano, Santorini, Capri..

By the end of it, I was so jealous to see that all this is possible and we are merely visitors!

Room Tip: A room with a balcony that faces the Amalfi Coast.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
jackfly35, Direttore at Hotel Villa Cimbrone, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your valuable feedback on our structure.

We feel proud when we read comments like yours because the satisfaction of our guests is our main objective. Truly delighted that you enjoyed the property, the location and the restaurant.

Villa Cimbrone was a 12th century aristocratic residence and now an exclusive hotel with a selection of just nineteen rooms for our privileged guests.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the very nearest future.

Kindest regards.

Giorgio Vuilleumier

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Hendersonville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We traveled to Italy for our honeymoon and after also looking at hotels in Sorrento and Positano, I settled on this hotel and picked a Deluxe Sea View room and am completely satisfied with the choice. Lidia was very helpful in coordinating our stay and making it a memorable one from the choice of room to the welcome amenities, and the rest of the staff was equally accommodating and gracious. Breakfasts on our room's terrace overlooking the Mediterranean were perfect, and room service was prompt and professional. Although this was a fall visit (late October), there were still some flowers blooming in the gardens, and the ivy in the cloister and on the villa's turret was turning a brilliant red. The view from the Terrace of Infinity is amazing, and early mornings in the gardens when the guests have the grounds to themselves are not to be missed. As this hotel is away from the city center, and there are no cars allowed onto the premises, be prepared to walk. This was actually a factor in choosing this hotel as I wanted something with a bit of seclusion. If up for some strenuous hiking, walking paths ("via"s) connect Ravello to the towns below along the coast such as Atrani, Amalfi, and Minori.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review.

We are glad that you have enjoyed both our Hotel de Charme and gardens, from the atmosphere of the ancient residence of the twelfth century to the friendliness of our staff. The passion, commitment and professionalism are the foundation of our work.

Hoping to welcome you back soon and send you our best wishes.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

We married in Ravello & had the reception at Villa Cimbrone on September 21st, 2012.
It was truly the most amazing & magical night of our lives & the surroundings & staff of Villa Cimbrone made it so special for us.

I visited in March after booking our reception here from looking at pictures on the net. It absolutely didn't disappoint when I saw in real life, in fact, it surpassed my expectations. I can remember approaching the gate & once in, welling-up with tears at the beauty of the gardens & villa inside. I had the same reaction when we returned for our wedding in September. When you stand on the infinity terrace & see the sea & coastline stretched for eternity ahead you cannot imagine anywhere more perfect.

If you are planning a wedding here you are in the safest of hands. The staff really care & are perfectionists themselves. There is a special person I have to mention - Judith Amato, the events manager. From the moment we booked our reception she was dedicated to helping in every way to make our wedding perfect. Not only did she attend to every last detail but she did so with such grace & charm that I cannot thank her enough. She made us feel like we were the only people getting married there & we were special despite I'm sure, having many weddings to co-ordinate. Even now it's all over, I miss our communication over the details & her lovely way.

Our reception started in the gardens where we had cocktails & canapes (delightful) & then we moved to the crypt area for dinner. The crypt has to be one of the most magical & romantic rooms for a wedding - especially when lit purely by candles as it was on our evening - with the lights outlining the coastline that is stretched out clearly beyond for all to see. The organisation was literally perfect as they seamlessly served the 4 course meal, kept the wine topped up & ensured the cake was cut on time & the jazz musicians played when they should. They also catered for any vegetarians etc with ease. We didn't have to worry about a thing. I must add that the food was 5 star in every way, I cannot fault it. We must have been having the time of our lives as the evening went in a flash !

To top-off our amazing Villa Cimbrone experience, we went back to their restaurant for dinner on our last night in Ravello. It was the most memorable meal of our whole honeymoon - everything was delicious. Plus, we were served by Giorgio Vuilleumier (the General Manager) who had also been involved in our wedding & he attended to our every whim. It wasn't just a delicious dinner, it felt like we had come back to friends. It really touched our hearts when we were told our pre dinner drinks were a gift from Judith.

What more can I say except this place, Judith, the Vuilleumier's & all the staff will always have a special place in our hearts. We can't wait to return. Thank you !

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
jackfly35, Direttore at Hotel Villa Cimbrone, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

We cannot thank you enough for your wonderful review.

Your description of this property and the service offered by the staff is truly amazing, and
the team is honored to receive such a nice appraisal.

We are delighted to read that you would recommend our Hotel and that we were able to make
your wedding unforgettable.

We assure you that we work hard every day to improve our services and meet all the expectation of our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon, maybe for your next anniversary.

Most Cordially,

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

I returned to Villa Cimbrone in September 12 and was greeted with the breath-taking view looking over the Terrace of Infinity at the Tyrrhenian Sea and the valley below. The wisteria had finished flowering over the avenue of Immensity - however I captured a hint of mauve reflecting down on the path in my photos. I enjoyed lunch in the garden - eating a magnficent caprese salad washed down with a glass of Prosecco. This place is heaven. The air is so pure. I had a swim in the pool and the pool assistant was so nice. You must visit this place at least once in your life

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback.

We appreciate your kind words regarding our gardens, structure and restaurant.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the vibrant atmosphere of our 12th century residence very soon.

Best wishes,

Hollywood, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

We stayed 2 nights and celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary. We renewed our vows. We had been here for our 20th, and if able will keep coming back. It is simply the most beautiful place we've ever been to. The service was also perfect, and I couldn't say more about the event staff. If you want to have a romantic get-a-way, for any occasion this is the place to go.

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for publishing your positive review.

We are very glad that you have chosen our Hotel to celebrate your 30th wedding anniversary and have appreciated the enchantment of this place.

We try to improve the quality of our services every day to make our customers satisfied with their choice.

Hoping to welcome you back soon, we send you our best regards.

Cleveland Heights, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Stayed two unbelievable nights in this first class property situated amidst the tranquil Cimbrone Gardens high above the Amalfi Coast. I was carrying an engagement ring in my suitcase looking for the perfect spot. I knew immediately when I walked in the dor of the Villa Cimbrone that this would be the place to remember for a lifetime. Lidia and her staff immediately helped me make the arrangements, told me ablout the perfect place in the gardens, arranged for a champagne toast afterwards, and then had a table with the perfect view waiting for dinner. This is a first class hotel in a beautiful place. But, as I have learned after many years of traveling the people make the place. From Lorenzo who picked up our luggage on the piazza, to Lidia who arranged our stay, to Diego who took care of us at dinner, the people were awesome. We will go back after the wedding to stay again.

Room Tip: There are only 19 rooms at the hotel. All seem to be very well situated.
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and have chosen the enchantment of our Hotel and gardens to make perfect your engagement.

We are glad that you appreciated to create relationships with some of our employees.

We look forward to welcoming you again, maybe for your honeymoon.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

My wife, 3 year old son and parents recently stayed for an incredibly wonderful 4 nights at this stunning establishment.

I used to be inclined to the view that a hotel is just where you sleep for the night and it's better to save money for other aspects of the holiday, such as dining, sightseeing and shopping. The beautiful Villa Cimbrone has shown me how wrong I was. From the moment we arrived, after a stressful and long overland journey from Siena, I felt cosseted, welcome and full of life and joy.

The walk up the hill from Ravello was easier than we expected (even for my 70-something mum and dad; who are probably fitter than me anyway!) and upon entering the reception area it was instantly forgotten. Reception is just beautiful.

The buildings and grounds are spectacular, as we had anticipated from pictures we had seen in coffee-table books. The rooms are superb, full of character, impeccably clean and spacious - and the view from our private terrace was heaven-sent.

Perhaps surprisingly, for a hotel with such an amazing location and architectural beauty, the staff are simply magnificent. I have stayed in places with great physical attributes that seem to assume that the quality of service is secondary. Not so at Villa Cimbrone.

The staff were genuinely warm, good humoured and always helpful and accommodating. They remembered our names, preferences (wine and food for instance) and personally packed and couriered some excess purchases back home for us. They were such a gracious and caring team and we owe them a great, great debt for providing us with such a wonderful experience.

The food and wine was outstanding. Ravello has some fine places to dine - some of which we were very pleased to savour - but we kept on coming back for the food and local vino at the Villa's terrace and the exceptional restaurant; Il Flauto di Pan. We had recently eaten at a Michelin 2 star in Paris (which was superb of course) but thought the food here in the restaurant was in the same echelon. And the incredible service matched it too.

After all of this, I have not even mentioned the magnificent gardens. They are a delight! If you go, try to see them at various times of the day to appreciate the difference in the light and scents. The infinity terrace is a must, as is the incredible cafe/bar below it; which must have the best view on the Amalfi coast. If you can't handle the vertiginous view below the cafe/bar (I struggled), then head for the sprawling lawn area with draped tables overlooking the sea. For the price of a round of drinks we were handsomely rewarded with bowls of the best olives I have ever eaten (possibly from the gardens?), pistachios and peanuts.

We will certainly return to this piece of paradise.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Villa Cimbrone? Share your experiences!