“Breathtaking view, Spacious Marble baths, amazing staff, Elegant!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Villa Fraulo

Save Saved
You added Hotel Villa Fraulo to your Saves list
Hotel Villa Fraulo
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via S. Giovanni del Toro, 18, 84010 Ravello, Italy   |
Ranked #8 of 20 hotels in Ravello
Allentown, PA
“Breathtaking view, Spacious Marble baths, amazing staff, Elegant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2010

This property just opened in April 2010. The owner spared no expense with his 5 year renovation of this old Villa. It is exactly what you would expect from a 5 star hotel - marble everywhere you look, airy windows to see the view from all rooms, very large marble bathrooms, very clean and the food was fabulous. While I did not personally stay in the hotel, I had a large group of my wedding guests that did and saw many of the rooms. I had a large group dinner here in May, which was actually the first of it's kind they've done since they opened. You never would have known it was their first. They did an amazing job. The food was delicious and the staff went out of their way to make it special. There are many levels to the hotel and we utilized the expansive terrace they have that has a beautiful large fountain in the middle. Off of the terrace they have a small bar where they make wonderful drinks, many are creative colorful concoctions. They have an infinity pool a few steps off of the terrace which wasn't quite done when we were there, but looked to be completed soon. They also have a spa on the lower level.

Pompeo, the Front Office Manager, made not only our special event magical, but also the hotel stays for my guests very special. I believe some of them got upgraded which was a treat. You feel like you are in someone's home when you're in this property and they truly will bend over backwards to make you happy. The rates right now seem too good to be true, maybe it's because they just opened. I say book now and take advantage of it, because I wouldn't be surprised if they double once the word gets out that this is on par with the Palazzo Sasso and Palumbo (I think the Villa Fraulo rooms are better) and this hotel is much better than the Hotel Rufolo. It is right next door to Sasso and Palumbo and right at the top of the main stairs that lead down to the town square. You can also easily access the hotel by car from a lower street, email the hotel for directions and you can easily drive up to the hotel this way with your luggage since the main entrance is on a narrower road.

All in all, the beauty and service of this hotel match the beauty that is Ravello!

• Stayed May 2010

235 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Beaufort, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2010

This hotel is brand new. Although the staff is somewhat inexperienced they make up for it in effort. We had a very enjoyable stay. Breakfast was good and you can't beat the location or the views. Overall a great experience.

Loughton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2010

This beautifully appointed, brand new hotel has it all!! So romantic!
>It is on the same road as the Palumbo, the Palazzo Sasso and the Caruso, so has the same views.
> Firstly, all the staff were courteous, kind and efficient. They honestly could not have been more helpful, and they were all just lovely.
>Secondly our room was elegantly furnished, sparkling clean, and had views to die for over the Amalfi coast.
>The communal areas are comfortable, beautifully furnished to modern-retro tastes in whites, golds and creams.
>The location was central: the main square was easily accessed from the 7th floor while the bus stop to Amalfi is 40 yards from the ground floor entrance.
>Lifts were roomy and light with braille buttons.
>The terrace is stunning; breakfast is a delightful experience, and Maurizio was always on hand with nibbles and drinks later in the day.
>English is spoke and everyone has great local knowledge which was helpful in planning our stay.
>The owner is often on the premises and is very congenial.
>We stayed for a special birthday, and everyone could not have done more to make the day special.
>The hotel swimming pool will be ready for the summer and there will be a small spa area as well.
>Breakfast only at this point, (nicely done), but the restaurant is stunning and should shortly be fully functional.
>I loved our room.
>I loved watching the moonlight over the water just before I slept.
>I loved the stunning views.
>I loved the genuine friendliness and efficiency of the staff.
>I love Ravello and we shall return to this hotel soon.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Easton, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2010

From the moment we arrived at the hotel the friendly and professional staff made us feel welcome. The hotel is in a magnificent setting (the views are unbelievable) and the interiors are understated but tastefully luxuriant. Our room was immaculate, the temperpedic bed was great and the marble bath was over the top. The buffet breakfast was the standard offered in most four star hotels. Access to the town center, restaurants and transportation were steps from the hotel. But what made our stay even more special was the warm and solicitous staff. Great hotel!

London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2010

I am genuiely shocked by other reviews on here suggesting that their stay at Villa Fraulo was lovely - Im not sure if that makes my standards incredibly high, or if we just got a bum deal on our room!!

Firstly, Villa Fraulo is newly opened and situated on 'Millionaire's row' - the strip at the top of Ravello, where the 5* and 5*L hotels, the likes of the Caruso, Palazzo Sasso and Palumbo are located. This immediately gives the impression that the hotel is going for a 5* rating, but based on our experience, I would be incredibly surprised if they do get it.

We booked a 'Deluxe' room at the price of around €280. Now, I know Ravello pretty well, having visited for the last 3 years (we got married there last year, and returned this year to celebrate our 1st anniversary). Anyway, so I know in Ravello that you very much get what you pay for, and at that price, I thought it was too cheap to be true, given the descriptions on the website, but thought I would take the risk anyway, because it looked so nice!

So when we arrived, we were given a brief tour of the building - there is a new section at the back, lower section of the building, near the main road (v noisy road, despite the 'soundproofing' in place) near the bus stop, and the old section that is at the front, top of the building that has been refurbished. The building itself was nice, and there are lots of marble pieces dotted around, that gives it a sort of vintage, grand feeling, but doesnt quite fit with the 'new building smell', but thats obviously something that will go in time so cannot complain too much about that.

From a review on here, I was already aware that the swimming pool was not yet open, but I knew that they had an agreement with another hotel, for guests to use their pool until the one at Fraulo was open. This was something that I had to find out on my own, and I was not told about explicitly. They also didnt mention anything about this when we checked in, which I think is pretty dire, given that they only had about 8 rooms being used while we were there (we counted the number of tables set up for breakfast).

Anyway, We were shown to our 'Deluxe' room, expecting a lovely big terrace, lovely sea view, places to sit and relax in the sun. Well, the room we were given had a tiny, cramped balcony, not somewhere you could sit and relax in the sun (which I was looking forward to doing on the terrace in the absence of a functional swimming pool). On top of that, despite being on the 4th floor, the noise from the road and bus stop were incredibly hard to escape from. The main thing I love about Ravello is the tranquility of the place, and the fact that you rarely hear cars, so this was not the relaxing anniversary break I was after! Unfortunately, this is not something that the hotel will ever escape from, so if you do go to stay there, I would insist that you get a room in the old section at the top (there are no cars allowed at the front of the hotel), but I get the impression that these are just the suites, so not sure if that is possible.

The room itself was nice, a bit narrow, but since our rooms at home were pretty small, it didnt really bother us that much. Pretty standard, very little about it made the room a 'deluxe' to be honest, there was just a sofa and a bed and a few random pieces of furniture that served no real purpose. The bathroom was lovely, all marble lined with a lovely shower (although the water was not anywhere near hot/powerful enough for my liking, but thats a personal preference). One design flaw though, was that the water didnt seem to drain away quick enough from the shower, so it seeped under the shower door, and pretty much flooded the floor (leading me to later slip over). There was a seperate frosted glass door for the toilet which was a nice touch, and a double sink, with jacuzzi bath (again the water was not hot enough for this). There was a walk in wardrobe, that seem like a bit of a waste of space, given that there was limited shelving, so we were pretty cramped putting our clothes out. The fixtures and fittings etc were all very cheap MDF, with that woody smell you get from Ikea, again, distancing itself from the 5* rating they are clearly aiming for!

As a result of the small balcony, and the fact that we were were clearly not put into a deluxe room, we requested a change of room. They showed us 2 rooms, one deluxe room on the 5th floor with a longer balcony, but still fairly narrow, and again, not really a 'deluxe'. The other room was a suit on the 3rd floor. This room had a massive terrace, and as you could expect from a suite, 2 seperate rooms, one with the bedroom and en-suite, and one with the living area and walk in wardrobe. We chose to stay in the suite (granted, on a free upgrade) due to the sheer size of the terrace.

This suite had similar flaws to the other one (it was clearly unfunished!). The terrrace, though lovely and spacious, clearly was not finished at all. There was one small table and chair set in the middle (no loungers or anything to relax on), and a bamboo trellis resting against the wall, seperating it from the other terrace! There were 2 tv's in the room (one in the bedroom and one in the living area), and only one of these worked.

I went down to the resturant around 5pm to check out the menu for the evening (to decide where we would eat that night), and I was informed by the barman that the resturant wasnt open yet, because again, its not ready. For us that was a pain, because we like being able to stroll down for lunch or dinner in the hotel resturant if we're not in the mood for going out, but this wasnt possible at the Villa Fraulo because it wasnt open! Also, this meant no room service, which is pretty lame.

Finally, the air conditioning didn't work, but since we were so close to the roads, we couldnt open the door, otherwise it was too noisy, so had an AWFUL nights sleep in 26c heat (taken from the temperature gauge)!

All in all, I was not at all happy with what we were getting, so my husband and I decided to change hotels after staying for 1 night. The staff at reception were very accomodating, and they didnt kick up a fuss at all, but nonetheless, I think this hotel has a loooong way to get before getting anywhere near that 4/5* rating that they are clearly chasing. Personally I would wait until the hotel is a bit more established before I would consider visiting.

Also, just a side note, there have been 1 or 2 short reviews saying how great their stay at the hotel was. One was dated the 25th May, which coincidentally happens to be the date by husband and I checked out....

Haifa, Israel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2010

The Hotel is new and in a "running in" mode. It has a potential for 4 * but should invest more in details which are missing. The room was comfortable, the shower room sparkled but the hot water was only warm. No hooks for towels, no basket in the room. The view from balcony is seen only standing up - unfortunately sitting down you face the balcony external wall! The corridors are long and empty, so are the walls in our room - no art pieces at all. The hotel terrace had no shaded spots, green or flower plants. Desk personell were kind but did not act on our requests, maybe because they need more time to fix things. We stayed two nights and got a 10% discount (on our request ) but overall the cost did not reflect the standards we expected.

Allevard, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2010

There are times in your life that you might actually question whether there is a heaven or are you in fact living in 'Heaven' right here on Earth. This question would be immediately resolved when you visit the small township of Ravello on the Italian Amalfi Coast. Heaven is in fact on Earth and it is found in a perfect little village called Ravello.

Of course rather than sleeping upon a cloud one might be lucky enough to select a place that is filled with consideration and brimming with hospitality. We enjoyed the hospitality and friendship that was bestowed upon us for three delightful nights. The hotel is new - do not be disturbed by this as it is an old Villa that has been renovated into a paradise within a paradise. This hotel is the result of hard work by three enthusiastic brothers and a team of pure Italian hospitality. If you are looking for a place to base yourself that is situated in a most convenient location and is filled with personality - both structural and human then Hotel Villa Fraulo is the place to be. The view from their expansive terrace is to die for.

Don't be mistaken, there are many beautiful places to stay on the Amalfi Coast but Ravello would have to be the best. Away from the multitude of tourists in Amalfi & Positano. The winding little streets and alleys, the twists and turns, the breathtaking views without contention. All of these greet you no matter where your journey through Ravello takes you and it is only just a convenient and cheap 20-30 minute bus ride to Amalfi from outside the hotel.

The team of the Hotel Villa Fraulo are amongst the most willing of hosts we have ever encountered and we are certain that our journey will take us back there again. Don't miss this opportunity!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Villa Fraulo? Share your experiences!