We arrived 3 days before our wedding at Castle Donnafugata. We had a wedding planner handle everything for our wedding, but we chose our hotel. When we arrived, they asked us if we wanted to valet the car while we were there and we said yes (I HIGHLY recommend this service). They told us they would deliver our baggage to the room, and it was there within 10 min, all 6 bags.
EVERY request we had was met promptly and accurately. They took our wedding clothes to be steamed and delivered them on-time. The day of our wedding, I had called and RSVP dinner reservations with the hotel restaurant for 7:30. When we arrived, they had us in a separate room lit with candles and rose petals on the table with a view of the cathedral out the window. The meal was perfect. When we returned to our room, we found candles, a bottle of wine and a heart shape on the bed with rose petals and a tub full of water...and we did not request any of this. The staff went WAY above and beyond for our perfect night. And it was PERFECT!!!
During several of our evening excursions, we returned to the hotel front door, greeted with an umbrella during the evening rains...it was nice having the car valeted and not getting wet all of the time. When we had a question about locations, shops or restaurants we were always happy with the results.
Alexandria and Manuel(?) where always very pleasant and both spoke enough English that communication was rarely a problem. My new wife and I hope we can return in a few years (and to Antica Badia) for another enjoyable trip. We stayed in the room called "Geranio", it's the main pic you see on this page with the blue curtains and tall headboard over the bed with a crown. This room is fit for a king. The view from this room is not favorable, but who wants to go on a balcony anyways?
The furnishings of the room were beautiful, luxurious and relaxing. The room has 2 fold away twin beds, a buffet with storage underneath, a wardrobe, 2 table stands with lamps a table and a small table with an espresso machine and minibar underneath. The wardrobe had a small safe, 2 robes, 2 slippers and enough space for our clothes. The bathroom has a single vessel style sink, toilet, bidet, wall mounted towel warmer, TV over the tub and a tub for 2. There is a hand held shower wand in the tub, but no shower...this is a bit disappointing, but for a young newly married couple, we kind of enjoyed the challenge.
The Restaurant and room service were amazing!
We only have 2 complaints about our stay.
1. Wireless internet was only available in the lobby, however the rooms do have wired internet, this left us tethered to a laptop by the desk rather than relaxing with our smartphones/tablets. A wireless router in a few of the rooms connected to the outlets would easily fix this problem.
2. The water pressure seemed to mysteriously drop and then go back up for no reason. We never lost hot water, just pressure. Took a bit long to fill the tub up.
Those 2 things aside, this hotel & room are amazing and worth every penny and deserving of 5 stars. This hotel is actually an old palace, so every room open to the public is exquisite in detail and finish...you will truly feel as if you are in a palace.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Antica Badia Relais Hotel is set in a grand 18th-century villa in the centre of Ragusa, a 5-minute walk from the Ibleo Archaeological Museum. It features a luxury spa with sauna, Turkish bath and massage service. Its large halls have Baroque-style frescoes.The hotel has comfortable guest rooms, elegantly decorated with luxury fabrics and antique furniture from Sicily and all of Europe.The heritage of the Antica Badia Relais has been beautifully preserved during its renovation. It is complimented by a range of modern technologies including conference facilities and free Internet connection.Sample some delicious Sicilian dishes at the hotel’s restaurant, all prepared using only the finest and freshest ingredients. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Tingo, Travelocity, Odigeo, Agoda, Venere and Otel so you can book your Antica Badia Relais Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Antica Badia Relais Hotel Ragusa, Sicily, Italy