“Paradise in a small island retreat” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Del Golfo

Save Saved
You added Hotel Del Golfo to your Saves list
Hotel Del Golfo
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Provinciale, 57030 Procchio, Marciana, Elba Island, Italy   |
Ranked #1 of 11 hotels in Procchio
Jersey, United Kingdom
“Paradise in a small island retreat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We have been staying at this hotel for the last 8 - 10 years and it is always a pleasure to return.
The staff are always smiling and happy to help. The rooms are all lovely from the smaller singles in the main hotel to the sea front rooms in any of the buildings along the beach to the rooms in the annexe which are perfect for teenagers. The beach is beautifully cared for and the lifeguards are on duty to help and advise about all things "Elbano".
We often eat lunch at the beachside restaurant to save the short walk up to the village - Granny is not a great walker! The sea water pool is useful if the wind comes up and aqua aerobics great fun.
Elba is full of Napoleonic history well worth an afternoon out and about.
Drinks on the terrace before AND after dinner are what make the magic - go and enjoy!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

203 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Zwolle, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

This hotel was recommended by family members having been there several times. Easy to access from Portoferraio, we stayed there for more than a week. Private beach, nice private pool, private roofed parking, tennis courts, diving center close by, nice rooms (at least the ones we had in the vilas in front of the beach and the pool), all the comfort you could hope for from this kind of hotel, but well you know why know you pay such a price. Nice breakfast buffet, friendly staff (speaking Italian always help, but they have quite a good knowledge of English).
A few very minor points though :
- my wife got served a glass of red wine from a bottle which had been opened for far too long (not really the kind of thing you would expect in a 4 star hotel).
- we had to ask several time for replishement of bath gel and shampoo
- while we have no comment on the cleanliness itself, the dayly cleaning of the room seemed to obey a rather strange logic (never seemed to happen when we were mostly out of the room in the morning but at noon between 12.30 and 13.30).
The hotel is rather always full so make sure you reserve at least 6-7 months in advance.

Room Tip: rooms in the villas are fine and have decent room (usually with their own terasse for the ones looki...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Auburn, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

We were two females (friends) and one 11-year-old child (mine). We stayed in room #121, which is on the second level and has a large, pretty balcony overlooking the beach.

My friend had lived in Italy and knew of Elba, so when our accomodations in Lucca didn't work out, we went to plan B and decided to come to a cooler spot (it had been hot,hot,hot in Venice, Rome and our one day in Lucca).

We choose this hotel after consulting a Lucca travel agent. We booked a basic room on the seaside. When we arrived (by taxi), we asked to see the room first. It was in an annex area on the bottom level. It faced the sea, but had no view of it due to it being too low on the ground. The room itself looked nice enough though.

We asked about other rooms, and ended up with 121, which I believe is a suite. We paid 225 Euros each for half-board (wonderful breakfasts and dinners!), so the stay ended up costing us about 700 euros per day (including taxes) , which seemed expensive, but in retrospect, seems okay because of the meals, the nice room with balcony and the nice beach and great pool.

The front desk staff were nice, more cool and professional than warm and fuzzy, but we felt welcome and respected. They went out of their way to help me package some books I had purchased in Rome and wanted to mail home. The local post office was out of all mailing boxes and I didn't want to haul these books on to our next destination (they were heavy), which was Florence. So, thanks to the kindness of the front desk staff, I was able to ship three packages at the local post office ( a five minute walk from the hotel).

Back to the room...It was large and had a sitting room with a pull out sofa. My friend (another adult female) slept here. The linens were very good ones and she claims sleeping here was very comfortable. My son and I slept on the big bed in the bedroom and we slept very, very well. The air-conditioning works well and is quiet. Nights were quiet with the balcony doors closed, but we could still hear the waves, nice! Actually, though, on our first night, I did hear a baby just screaming for several hours. The parents didn't seem to do much to calm this baby. I tried to ignore it and my son slept right through it, but I was glad it wasn't repeated the following three nights. Though the room is quiet to the outside noises, the walls are not so thick that you can't hear a baby cry (or coo, as I heard on other mornings :)

What I loved about the room was the beautiful, painted floor tiles. It made the rooms pretty and special. The other thing that stands out for me is the great balcony. We had room service coffee out there early in the morning, then we went to the breakfast room and had our usual.

The bathroom was large, perfectly clean and had everything one would need.

The breakfast was buffet style, with a really, really nice assortment of food. Lots of fresh fruit, breads, cheeses, meats- just everything. Coffee was good too and that's important to me!

Dinner was great every night. The waiters worked as a team and were very professional and helpful. I had a Cosmopolitan each night and even it was well-made, not always the case in Europe. We had the same table each night. I'm not sure if they saved it for us, or if we just happened to get it since we tended to eat at the same time? It was a good table with a good view of the outside and the sea. Food was always good and the service, great.

The hotel has chairs with umbrellas out on the beach and we used those. Beach towels are provided near the pool. The chairs/umbrellas/beach towels were all really good quality. We spent time relaxing and swimming. The sand here is good, but not powdery. It's comfortable for walking barefoot. The water is very clear and a pretty blue, though not Caribbean aqua! Most importantly, the beach and water seem very safe. Water was calm when we were here and I didn't worry about my kid in the water (well, not much :)

We used the pool every day too. It's large, not overcrowed, even in July, when we were there. Pool staff are nice. There's a pool bar, though we didn't use that. Water in the pool is salt-water. Very pretty pool and pool area.

There's an outside restaurant just off the beach and near the pool. We did go there for snacks or lunch. We were able to sign for everything and staff were very nice.

My son had a massage at the spa and I got my legs waxed. A very professional young woman did it. She didn't speak English well, but that wasn't a problem. We enjoyed the spa and the prices were low, considering other hotel spas (massage was 50 euros and it was 200 at our hotel in Cap d'Antibes). 30 euros for a leg wax, fyi.

We walked to town each day for something or other. My friend bought a bag, we all bought some espadrilles, we had gelato, I mailed my boxes of books, etc. I went to the local hair salon and it was great! It's all so close to the hotel. There are several places to eat there in town too, but since we had the meal plan, we didn't try them.

All in all, we really enjoyed Hotel del Golfo in Procchio. I'm not sure we'll return (I have Capri in mind for the next island place in Italy!), but if we do, we would stay here again, but only in the same or similar room.

Room Tip: Room 121 or similar. Sea view, big balcony, beautiful floor tiles.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Switzerlan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012 via mobile

It's just 5 minutes drive from the local airport. We would definitely recommend to go for halfboard as the dinner there is a perfect culinar adventure. The beac is very good and the distance between the beds is quite enough.

The main disadvantage we could think of is the breakfast. The choice is somewhat pore, though it was served at the nice sea-overlooking terrace.

We were havin a baby with us, so had 60% of the guests.

Overall very good place. We will show up there once more no doubt.

• Stayed July 2012
Caterham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

we booked this hotel as the relaxing part of our honeymoon. Unfortunately we could only get a "standard" room as the hotel was full, but from the website and price we were expecting a chic resort on the Island of Elba. when we got to the hotel we were told nothing about what was in the area, what the situation was with sunloungers. we walked to our room, which was in a block away from the far end of the hotel. the room itself was average - not quite the chic 4 star we were expecting. the room also backed onto the carpark and main room and was interconnecting but seperated from another room by a locked door. we could hear everything from toilets flushing to babies crying. After going to the beach in the morning and trying to understand why every sunlounger had reserved signs on- we were allocated 2 loungers 4th row, 5th from the right!!The restaurant on the beach is not even open in the evenin g. by the second night we had enough and went to the reception to explain why we were not happy and that we wanted to leave. they informed us half heartedly that we might be able to get a sea view room once the conference was over in a week! but a week at 180 euros a night bed and breakfast in a sub standard room overlooking a car park was not the honeymoon we expected. We half expected someone from the hotel to come and see us and see if there was anything they could do to make our stay better- but instead when we checked out the receptionist barely spoke to us and ignored my husband for 5 minutes whilst they chatted when he wanted to ask a question. We are not hard to please but were surprised by the lack of hospitality, quality and that the staff did not even care that we were not happy.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

We were quite disappointed by this hotel having seen the amazing website and read the reviews. We were not upgraded, so I don't know if that influenced our impression, as we found the room to be quite dark and poky. The shower was also very temperamental, alternating from freezing cold to scalding hot. Also, many of the advertised services on the website such as the beauty service, day tours and extra restaurant were not available, with little explanation and no alternative provided. Dinner was 45 euros a head, so we did not avail ourselves of this option.

The good points about the hotel were definitely the private beach, pool, and the location. Procchio is beautiful and it was very relaxing having aperitivi by the pool, served by the very hard-working and efficient pool staff. The maid service was also very reliable and the room was kept very clean. The wifi was temperamental but I could use it at times. Breakfast was OK, however I found a lot of the cakes to be quite dry.

Now to the very bad points... having stayed at the Magellan resort in Malaysia, my standards in beach resorts is quite high, so I was quite shocked that the hotel charged us a fee to wash our beach towels. We were told to keep the one set and charged for a cleaning fee at the end anyway. I can appreciate the need to be environmentally friendly but I think the first set should have been provided for free.

The thing that really ticked me off however is on the last day we got up extra early as we wanted to catch an early ferry off the island to move onto our next destination (around a 6 hour journey). We arrived at the check-out desk to be told simply that the receptionist on duty did not have the password for the computer (yes computer says no) and that we would have to wait until 8am to check-out. This meant that we would miss the 7.23 bus which we had planned to take and bought tickets for. On principle, neither of us wanted to catch a cab as we had planned to take the bus, on top of the fact that a bus on Elba is as direct as a cab, except a cab costs 30 euros one way! I said to the receptionist that as we would miss the bus, the next one wouldn't be until some time past 9! He drew out a timetable and said that no, the next one was at 8.43, meaning we could still catch the 9.40 ferry off the island. I pointed out the fact the timetable was one day old but he insisted it would continue... of course most resorts would have offered a shuttle service at this stage, however he simply said he could call me a taxi later, or I could go check the times on the bus stop outside the hotel (all the bus stop signs on Elba had conflicting and at times indecipherable information). Needless to say, I was right about the times, after check-out we spent close to a fruitless hour waiting for a 9.18 bus, which was late, and we missed the 9.40 ferry by minutes. We then wasted more time waiting for an 11.00 ferry, which meant the rest of our day was wasted travelling. I think this is particularly disgraceful as being able to check-out when we want to seems to me to be a fairly basic service.

Room Tip: Maybe is you upgrade your experience will be better. My booking said room with a balcony, but it wa...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

The hotel is in a quiet village on Elba. The hotel is perfect - right on a beautiful sandy beach. The food is excellent!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Del Golfo? Share your experiences!