“Worst restaurant I have ever been to” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Ruffianchubs
“Worst restaurant I have ever been to”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2011

Went to dine here as it is in the most beautiful location, great appearance but beware. We were served stale bread and asked for fresh "bread" and were given more stale bread. The food is so bad the waiters were embarrassed when asked why so bad. Uneatable, ordered the swordfish which was so dry and salty it was embarrassing. Wine was fairly priced and reasonable. Pasta with prawns was so salty with under cooked pasta and overcooked praws that were not even cracked open for you so basically could not eat them, even though they were so overcooked they were uneatable any way. There were plenty of people eating there so not sure if it was that they give Americans sub par service and food or if it is truely just a bad restaurant. When the bill came we had to question it as it was not readable. They. Charge a 2 euro per person "service charge" for napkins and glasses??? There are other great places to eat here and I will recommend you do not get fooled by the nice location and setting of this restaurant. Go elsewhere, you will make out much better price and quality wise. Too bad as we expected this place to be great and were horribly dissapointed. My bill was 56 euro and I gave only 50 and walked out, they didn't even bitherbchallenging me as they knew it was a tourist trap. If you are American do not go here!!!

• Visited April 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
S-Gsister, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Alfonso A Mare, responded to this review, May 17, 2011
We cook with passion:
- we have fresh bread also on Sundays, because the bread is baked every morning by our skilled chefs.
- the fishermen of our bay each morning deliver to us freshly caught fish.
the taste of fresh fish is definitely unique, and is the main ingredient of our dishes.
We LOVE our guests ..... we don't make any distinction, indeed, our priority is pamper ALL our guests, and fulfill their wishes.

- as soon as you have taken place, we also kindly offered two typical Easter appetizers.

63% Recommend
NYC
“slap in the face”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2008

Gross. There was no shower, just a drain in the middle of the bathroom floor and a cold, leaky, low water pressure shower head. The bottom third of the bathroom walls were loaded with black mold as was the bottom of everything on the floor.

No A/C, so we had to leave the doors open allowing bugs and spiders in (there were cobwebs already in the corners of the ceiling).

The place was impossible to find and the getting the staff to smile was like pulling teeth. They were not availible 24 hours but instead had to be summoned from their home in the town which took 20 mins.

The beach was littered with trash and the cove position restricted the sunlight to the beach for most hours of the day- as a result it was very dismal.

I'm all for "authentic" as this hotel advertises, but if I am paying for a hotel, I shouldn't feel like I'm camping.

The nearby restaurants were very good, though.

We ended up leaving two days early because we were not happy and they charged us for all four days and even tried to get us to pay 30 more a night that we agreed upon in our booking.

A nearby hotel was asking less and was a palace compared to this. You can do much better on the amalfi coast, especially at this pricerange. The staff don't even act like they want your business.

Como
“A Great Place and Family”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2008

Alfonso A Mare was a great place to go. I brought my American friends and we were welcomed in a warm and hospitable manner. The food was excellent from the appetizers to dessert. The atmosphere was typical Napolitan style. This place will remain in our memories and i would recommend this place to anyone. Thanks again to the family at Alfonso a Mare!