“Loved this place” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 20 hotels in Praiano
New York
“Loved this place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2006

This was one stop on my all over Italy itinerary for 2 weeks and wish I could have stayed longer. The hotel was absolutely gorgeous and the staff really friendly and helpful. It was really peaceful and relaxing, a much better option than Positano, which in my opinion is just overcrowded. The only small thing is it would be great if the pool area was bigger.

• Stayed May 2006

479 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Turkish first
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2006

My wife and I have travelled a good deal both within the U.S. and abroad, and never have we come upon such an amazing hotel as a whole (value, quality, service, beauty).

Yes, the drinks are expensive, as is everything else in Italy, especially in the touristy Amalfi Coast, but if that negative is something that you have to mention in your review, then I'd say your stay was pretty impressive.

The first thing that strikes you about the Casa Angelina is the amazing beauty of the inside and outside of the building. Everything done in stark, pristine white. Plush white couches line a path into the bar area, which leads outside to the pool area and a outdoor dining/lounging area. All impeccably furnished and appointed. Murano glass art pieces ($40,000 a piece) line the halls, common areas and walkways of the Casa Angelina. There is even one outside which you see when you talk the panoramic glass elevator.

The rooms were nicely size, not big, not small. We had a full ocean view w/balcony and the view was nothing short of spectacular. The only thing that compares to this view, and surpasses it, though barely, is the caldera on Santorini in Greece. The rooms are also done in all white, complete with a flat screen TV w/Satelite.

We found the service to be spectacular, especially Mara!!!! Not only did they try to cater to any and every need that we had, they really did go above and beyond the call in an attempt to make us feel relaxed. In fact, on our day of checkout, which is normally at noon, we wanted to hang around the pool for a few extra hours, but were concerned that we would have no where to shower. They were more than willing to accomodate us. And because our room was booked for that day, they arranged for our bags to be transferred into a different room, in which we could shower and change before we left.

The location has its positives and negatives. Because it is located in Praiano and not one of the major tourist towns, things are much more quiet and calm. The downside is that Praiano is not built up at all and therefore the restaurants within walking distance are subpar. You really need to go into Positano, Amalfi, or Sorrento for decent food. Though the food at the upstairs restaurant is amazing, it is pricey.

What surprised my wife and I the most is the value for a place like this. Though the rate was not cheap to say the least, for what you get, in the location in which you're getting it, the value can be looked at as a steal!!!

• Stayed June 2006
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2006

In fact, CA is an adorable 'boutique' hotel set to revamp the rather tourist ridden Amalfi coastline. The beautiful location and Italian feel is certainly not compromised by the modern and ultra chic environment and CA is a perfect base for many activiities (Pompeii, boat trips arranged by front desk etc). The decor is beautiful, the staff are hard working and very kind (OK, there were a few blips but the overall attitude was of being genuinely keen to please and also to listen to any suggestions) and the facilities are good for such a small hotel (well equipped gym, lovely jacuzzi). The restaurant provided a wonderful setting, attentive service (including little tables on which to place your bag) and creative Italian cuisine that whilst a little fussy at times for me, overall provided a very enjoyable dining experience. We dined there 7 nights out of 7! I also found the kitchen to be very flexible and went out of their way to provide us and particularly my young daughter with anything we wanted. Admittedly this hotel would not be my first choice for the main annual family holiday, especially if you seek beach and pool activities, kids' clubs etc. Amalfi has sightseeing/relax as a priority and the hotel is rather too quiet for parents with young kids to chill out properly and with a location that would not make strolling with a buggy that easy. However, as far as the Italian staff are concerned (as an Italian resident I can safely say 'child friendly' does not need to exist in Italy as children are happily and willingly indulged) I do not see that there should be any problems with bringing kids for a short break. The only problem could be from other guests who may want absolute tranquility (I myself did not have more than the odd bad vibe) and whilst I would not advocate children going on the rampage this is certainly not an adult only hotel and at the weekend I saw quite a few young guests, including my own two.

I would say that I am hard pushed to find a major moan. The room rate was very reasonable but perhaps the bar and restaurant prices were a little on the high side for Italy (but certainly not for London and probably not for 5 star Amalfi).

I hope to return to CA again, at least to meet the charming general manager who treated my daughter like a princess and often asked us how we were. Many thanks also to Giorgio and the Front Desk and the Restaurant staff - Paolo, Enzo, Gianluca, Livia and others. Not forgetting the chef who toiled away for Isabella's fussy palate.

• Stayed June 2006
Graz, Austria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2006

I do not want repeat which was already written about location, building etc. It's all great, also trust the hotel's website. What I particularly like is the high quality of interiors - processed materials etc. You should choose that hotels only when you love white interiors: all rooms are pure white - the only coloured spot is in front of the window - the blue sea and sky.

Nice views to Positano (1 hour walk along the road or free shuttle service) and quiet setting high above the sea. Parking space available if you bring your own car.

Quality of service was changing and that left mixed feelings after leaving that nice place. I guess there is some new, untrained staff and hopefully they will improve soon. I arrived at 3pm - my room was not ready, it was not after the promised "10 minutes". After 20 min they promised again "10 minutes" and when I was showing up at the reception a quarter to 4pm they seemed a bit surprised. Had dinner twice at the roof top and top priced restaurant - one experience was outstanding positive (service and quality of dishes), second time it was below average ( tried nearly same dishes, other staff). I did not feel good that they charge for a Virgin Mary (which means tomato juice with Tabasco) at the pool bar 10 Euro and for a transport of 15 Minutes (16 km) 55 Euros (I booked the transport with the reception and it was executed by a public taxi). Room rates are ok, other costs no, also check your bill at check out, there were some items wrong on mine.

So, all in all, recommended and positive seen - room for improvement!

• Stayed May 2006
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2006

We visited Casa Angelina on a 5 day break last week. What a fantastic experience!! The ariport arranged transfer, this is a must, as the drivers and roads are quite frightening.... The hotel sits on the edge of the cliff, with an amazing view of Positano! The all white interior with loads of colourful art and big windows allowing light in creates an awesome feel. Staff at the hotel really friendly! The restaurant at the hotel is really good, could just stay there and not go out and see or experience anything else for your whole stay. This is a ten out of ten in my book!!

Been to Casa Angelina? Share your experiences!