“We had the best meal in all of Italy at Vivaro Wine Bar!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #9 of 20 Attractions in Praiano
Type: Bar/ Clubs, Bars
Carmel, IN
“We had the best meal in all of Italy at Vivaro Wine Bar!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

My husband and I traveled for 2 weeks to Italy for our 25th wedding anniversary. We stayed 5 days in Priano, a georgeous Cliffside village on the Amalfi coast, and ate wonderful food everywhere we went in Italy, but the BEST meal and experience by far we had in our 2 week visit to Italy was at Vivaro Wine Bar! There is NO menu! The chef, who is also the host, bartender, and waiter, all wrapped into one, simply "feeds you"! It was the most wonderful, delicious and affordable experience ever!! When I return to Priano one day, I will eat at Vivaro everyday!! When we arrived the tiny place was full so the owner told us he had no tables. "Can we just eat at the bar?" I asked, which only had 4 stools. He said "Sure!" He asked if we liked seafood and pasta which of course we responded with a resounding "YES! We love seafood and pasta"! That was all it took, and the evening started off! The owner choose our wine for us and brought us our first course which was a heaping bowl of the most delectable and spicy pasta we had eaten filled with every kind of seafood imaginable! We practically moaned (well at least I did!) as we ate. The next course was a beautiful and delicious salad (my husband is not a veggie or salad kind of guy and his first response after tastitng the salad was........WOW! This is SO good! Next the owner brought out the most delectable fish, deboned it for us at our table, and served it between our two plates.........so tender and delicious words cannot even come close to describing the culinary experience. After that, the owner brought us another bottle of wine of his choice which was perfect, and asked us "What's next?". I said "I don't know, you are running this show, what is next???!!". He thought for a moment and asked me if I like prawns? I said "I adore prawns!". He said we only catch these in May......and proceeded to cook up a heaping plate of prawns which my husband and I consumed!! Next, we saw an English couple we had met the previous day on a bus during a day trip to Positano, so we, as typical Americans would do, grabbed our bottle of wine and headed over to invite ourselves to join them at their table! We pulled up chairs and joined them in eating the delicious dessert that they were partaking of. The owner saw us join the other couple and brought us all a 3rd bottle of wine, more dessert and then finished everything off with excellent limoncello for the ladies and Grappa for the men. The total bill!?!........Ridiculously reasonable, equal to what you would have to pay for the 3 bottles of wine alone in the States! This place is seriously the best kept secret in Positano!! Maybe not so secret anymore! Hat's off to you Chef Gennaro!! I dream of one day eating from your table again!

Singapore, Singapore
“Cuore”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

Vivaro is a class act. Chef Gennaro has attitude - he does not have a menu. What he serves is 'negotiated' - he strives for, and achieves win-win. Also, how he cooks is transparent - he can show how he does it. The vibes at this restaurant are tremendous.

Georgetown, Canada
4 attraction reviews
“Vivaro Wine Bar”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We went to Gennaro's place our last night in Praiano and what a treat it was. My wife and I were travelling with 2 other couples and we tried to get in another night but he was booked so we made a reservation.

I have never been to a restaurant where there is no menu. Gennaro greeted us when we arrived. Suggested an unbelievable wine to start the evening off then proceeded to tell us that he has no menu.

He asked us what we like and what we don't like and if anyone was allergic to anything.

It was the most amazing experience I have had at a restaurant.

Do not miss this place if your time on the Amalfi Coast brings you through Praiano (actually better yet, go out of your way to go to Praiano - call ahead so you won't be disappointed).

Kildare Ireland
27 attraction reviews
“Pity we didn't notice this place sooner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We stayed in Priano for 2 weeks and only noticed Gennaro's place halfway throught the second week. We dropped in for a drink and were very plesantly surrprised at the selection of drinks on show. Gennaro, as all the other reviewers stated, does everything. We stayed a couple of hours and enjoyed the ambiance. When we returned we asked for something to eat. we were treated to various dishes which he told us all about. They were delicious. Just when you thought he was finished, another dish was put in front of us. We eventually had to tell him stop we have enough. You can sit in the doorway - on sofas and watch the world go by and have a great view of the ocean. Its right on the main street so a lot of traffic passes by , but this didn't take away from our enjoyment. I would love to visit again and would certainly reccommend it to anyone.

Visited August 2012
“Home away from home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

There's always one place when you're traveling that you hold in your heart & memory for years to come. You have to go to Vivaro with an open mind & possibly have a chocolate bar on the way there. As the other reviews here advise, Gennaro is mostly a one man show (if you don't count the locals who pop in & sometimes clear plates & deliver drinks) therefore you need to be patient. Patient because Gennaro cooks, cleans, takes orders , everything he does on his own. I don't blame him to be honest because why fix what isn't broke. What you receive will make you truly thankful you waited, patiently, I doubt he would put up with clock watchers. When you walk in on your first visit you walk in a stranger when you walk out on your last, you walk out with a new friend for life. Gennaro is true gentleman & both he and his spectacularly simple & splendid meals will have a place in my heart always.