“Amazing Amalfi Coast & fantastic B&B!” 5 of 5 stars

Villa Il Frantoio
Via Francesco Russo, 36, 84010 Praiano, Italy   |
Ranked #1 of 11 Praiano B&B and Inns
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Amazing Amalfi Coast & fantastic B&B!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

We stayed in August for 6 nights after 3 nights in Rome celebrating my husbands 40th. (Sorry the review is a bit late but kind of got caught up in things when we got back!) We booked the La Molazza suite and what an amazing room! I loved Rome but this place was the thing I was looking forward to. It was lovely waking up, showering overlooking the coast, taking a leisurely breakfast listening to the local church bells chiming. We would take the car and travel to local places in the morning then returning after lunch to relax on the balcony when the heat became almost too much. I was a little worried that Praiano would maybe be a bit quiet for us, but after taking a trip to Amalfi & Positano it was so nice to return to, also the local restaurants were so much more value & friendly (Il Pino on my birthday - amazing! Vivaro wine bar - ate there 2 nights and had cocktails till a very ridiculous hour on another!) Yes there are a lot of steps, but you are on the Amalfi coast and that is part of the magic of the place, tiring taking 200 steps down to the main road, then many more to the beach, but an excuse to have a beer on the way back and icecream (and what icecream at the lounge bar just down the road from the church!) There are so many things that made our stay - the friendly staff at the B&B (so sorry we were so hungover & literally horizontal on our boat trip that the manager arranged for us but blame the cocktails at Vivaro!) / the food everywhere we ate / attempting to walk home from Positano one night after a gorgeous meal in a town overlooking Positano, seeing fireworks on the way then getting a lift from a lovely man from Amalfi then sitting eating icecream watching the bus pass us / my husband driving the coast & me wondering how on earth we were going to squeeze past the buses / Ravello midday cannons and then hearing classical music playing in the town opposite drifting along the valley. I could just go on and on but I think you'll get the picture that this is a place that we loved! Yes we could have stayed at numerous other places which looked nice but also had a nice price (the Amalfi Coast is not the cheapest place you will visit) but I found this place after numerous hours on Tripadvisor and so glad I chose it. We dont generally go back to places twice as there are so many places to see in the world but I cant wait for my 40th as I want to go back there!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

120 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

Hotel is nice and charming, but you have quite a few steps to get up and down (about 200) from the main street. Satellite cable was the best in italy. This was a great feature since there were tons of English channels, which was a nice added feature. Continental breakfast is very simple but is fine (croissant, cereal, fruit etc) No wifi/internet in the room, but you can rent a laptop for $5 euros/day that has internet access. They also do your laundry for $5 euros which was great since we were about halfway through our trip and needed some clean clothes. They also charge for beach towels so make to bring some on your trip. Also, don't forget to bring a mosquito/insect repellent as there were quite a few insects including flies. Overall I would recommend this hotel, but the Amalfi coast experience was just ok for me. Capri Island is overrated. You can find better beach resorts destinations out there. Didn't go to Naples or Pompeii so I can't speak to that.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

I love this place. The atmosphere, the view and not at least the people working here. I stayed for one week by myself and I was really taken care of. Fantastic breakfast served at my terrace (even though I was up to late). These people were always "yes" with a smile.

My room was beautiful, the bathroom build on like three levels and a big terrace where I joined the view and did some happy dancing every day.

I would really recommend this villa to anyone going to Praiano or the Amalfi coast.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
The Hague, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

A very nice place to spend some days. Laying in the grass, looking over de beach. It's a 200 steps descent to the city with a few, but fine, restaurants.
It's a relaxed atmosphere, relaxing location.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2011

We stayed here last summer with family and friends. Great location - stunning views of the Amalfi Coast all the way down to Capri - but be prepared for the steps! We didn't mind as felt very fit by the end of our stay. The upstairs rooms were lovely - we were originally in one of the ground floor rooms which was a little damp and dark. Breakfast was delicious. The owner and his nephew were very friendly and helpful during our stay and spoke great English. The other staff were friendly but their English was not so great (maybe the reason for some of the negative comments). Definitely will be returning sometime soon.

Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2011

It is a bit surprising to find this is a B&B with an only access via steps...
But it is well worth it.
We were greeted upon arrival at the relatively distant car park, and led to the actual place, by Giacomo, who was the host during our week-long stay. He is Domenico (the owner)'s nephew but runs the place like he built it!
He made us feel at home, even getting up quite early on our first morning without a complaint (it was Sunday, and we thought breakfast was being served earlier than it actually was... Sorry Giacomo). Breakfast was great: fresh and local fruit, pastries and cheeses on the terrace with a breathtaking view over the village, its church, Positano and the coast all the way to Capri,
Being at a quiet time of year Il Frantoio was not full and we had the pleasure of being able to visit nearly all the other rooms, as well as having good long chats with Giacomo.
Our host was great with our toddler and I must say they got along quite well.
The only regret was we had to leave after our last night...

The Amalfi Coast is quite amazing, and Praiano (Vettica Maggiore, to be precise) being in the very heart of it it makes for a great base from which to visit. It is also not as much talked about as Amalfi itself or Positano, which makes it the perfect, quiet, retreat for families without the fuss of the bigger towns.
The evening life and restaurant scene in the village is also very good, cheerful and varied enough not to get bored.

We can only recommend the Villa Il Frantoio, and should we have another chance to visit the region we will definitely try to stay there again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Saint Louis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2010

Loved our stay at Villa Il Frantoio, thanks Giacomo and all the staff!

Our place was like a dream, up on the hill with beautiful view of the ocean and star-lit night sky. Our suite was very clean, airy and pleasant with unique Amalfi decor!

We love the beautiful terrace, the breakfast with sweeping view, and our quiet & private location at 208 steps above the main street!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Villa Il Frantoio? Share your experiences!