“The best place to stay in the Amalfi Coast” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Pellegrino
Via Nazionale, no. 190, 84010 Praiano, Italy   |
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Praiano
Sofia
“The best place to stay in the Amalfi Coast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2009

Pensione Pellegrino is a magic nice hotel in the heart of the Amalfi Coast. We loved it so much, that my family wants to come there again and again. I found it via Internet and I have to tell this is the best one I've found.

I am travelling as much as I can, but this was a really magical place - so cozy, with nice people, wonderful breakfast... It was a wonderful experience and I do hope to come with my family again this year..

The room we had was with two nice terraces, great view. We had wonderful breakfast and everything else was fantastic - the owner drove us every day to Positano.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2009

My brother stayed at Pensioned Pellegrino and recommended it to me saying the location was very good and the hotel is managed by the family who were very very nice. Spot on!! I'm glad I took his advice.

I stayed at the Pensione in July 2009 for my birthday and had a great time!

After a quite long trip from the UK I was greeted by Angela who provided a very welcome drink (the Amalfi Coast is very curvy). I found the room to be spacious and clean with beautiful views over the Mediterraneo. There is a restaurant/bar on the top floor where breakfast is served which, by the way, is lovely, fresh fruit and homemade jams in that beautiful setting. As I wanted to make the most of my days in the area, I left the hotel quite early and Luigi offered to serve my bkfast at 0700 instead of the usual 0730.

Location wise, Praiano is situated in between Positano, Sorrento and Amalfi, Ravello, Maiori. All locations are easy to reach by using the bus SITA (local bus company) which stops in front of the Pensione and run regularly. Positano is about 10 min ways, Amalfi 20 min and Sorrento 1 hours by bus...it is a very curvy road but the view is stunning! Praiano is 5 min walking where you find little shops and a couple of very nice restaurants with, again, beautiful views! (Seat upstairs).

Luigi, Angela and smiley Alessia were always in hand to help, also offering advice for the trip. They make you feel home. One day I would miss the boat to Capri due to bus connections, Luigi's wife Sandra gave me a lift so I wouldn't miss it. Lovely hard working people!

I thoroughly enjoyed my days in the Pensioned and have no hesitation in recommending it. I wish I could go back for few more days next summer. On my birthday Luigi offered a piece of cake which I shared with Alessia and himself on the top floor balcony while they were telling me about the local history. It made it more special. I was very grateful!

I hope you can all make to the Amalfi Coast and to Pensione Pellegrino which I highly recommend.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2009

Well, you can't really see the hotel from the road because it's so covered with bougainvillea, and you don't really feel like you're at a hotel because of the incredibly friendly family atmosphere of the place, the views from the rooms make it almost unnecessary to go out and explore the rest of the coast. If you consider any of those things drawbacks, you may not want to stay there. Aside from that, the dinners are incredible, the hotel very clean and quiet, the service impeccable (how can one family run the hotel with as much efficiency as if there were three times as many employees?) and getting to know Luigi and his family is an honor. I can't imagine staying anywhere else. It's centrally located on the Amalfi coast, right at a bus stop for the main coastal bus service.
Highly recommended!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2009

Stayed at the Pellegrino in June 2009. My partner and I were visiting the Amalfi Coast for the first time and had been looking for a base away from the main tourist hotspots but with easy access to these places.

We received a very warm welcome from Luigi and his family at the Pellegrino. We found our room to be very clean and comfortable. It also had a beautiful sea view. Luigi provided some drinks on arrival which we enjoyed on the top floor balcony where the bar/restaurant was located (again with beautiful sea view). A very pleasant way to end a long day of travelling from the UK.

We stayed at this hotel on a bed and breakfast basis but evening meals are also available if you give sufficient notice (fresh fish is often available). We found the food to be very fresh and enjoyable at breakfast and the service from the family very warm and friendly.

Luigi speaks very good English and has an excellent knowledge of the area - his family have owned the hotel for over 40 years. We had planned to visit places like Amalfi, Ravello, Sorrento and Positano but Luigi was able to offer some excellent advice for our trips. The bus stop for the SITA bus that travels along the Amalfi coast is just over 5 minutes away so the location is ideal. Positano is about 10 minutes away and Sorrento about an hour (allowing for traffic)

There are also a couple of nice restaurants within easy reach of the hotel - La Brace and Strada are situated in Praiano - excellent settings for a nice romantic evening meal. These are about 5 minutes away.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay with Luigi and his family and would have no hesitation staying here again on our next trip to the Amalfi coast. On our last day, Luigi went out of his way to give us a lift with our luggage to our ferry connection in Positano - so kind and we were very grateful.

Highly recommend this fantastic family owned hotel !

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Windsor
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2009

Over the last 7 years 6 groups of our close friends have all stayed here and been happy enough to recomend to the next one. Clearly we had to stay too!
We stayed for 2 days over our honeymoon, and were not disappointed either. A really fab little family run place and only 5mins walk from town.
Luigi and family really can't do enough to please you! Looking forward again to their home-made cake and jams on our next pass through the Amalfi!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2008

I got the referral for this hotel from a once off mention on a travel site and took a risk and booked it for four nights in April. What a fabulous find. The hotel is on the main road at Praiano, just 10 mins from Positano one way and 20 mins from Amalfi the other by local bus that stops right at the hotel door and the hotel sells the bus tickets. The room cost was really reasonable and about half the price of a Positano room with similar view and it was a wonderful family run Hotel of about 20 or so rooms.

Best of all as we had a rental car, they had off street garage parking for guests, a miracle on the Amalfi coast.

The owners had just redone the entire top floor, their restaurant/bar area and it was beautiful. Gorgeous view and a wonderful'huge daily breakfast. Dinner is offered over summer but it was still quiet when we were there and so we walked to the village to eat, only a couple of hundred meters down the road with several great and reasonable restaurants. The husband, Luigi spoke impeccable english and was so helpful. On one day we got stuck at Positano as it was a public holiday and the whole of Italy had descended for the long weekend. We couldn't get a bus as they were all full. With a single phone call he was there in 10 minutes to pick us up at no cost!!

The rooms were immaculate and though not luxurious they were more than comfortable with big showers and fabulous views. An elevator had also just been installed before we arrived.

Praiano is a quieter village and so much less hectic than Positano but with everything you need. You get a real feel for the Amalfi Coast there more as it was. It has a great beach at one end, one of the best on the coast and good walks and a beautiful church with a wonderful brillantly coloured tiled floor in lemon and blue.

I highly recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Its situation, the views and the friendly/helpful owners.
  • Disliked — Room furniture a little dated in some of the rooms.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Pellegrino? Share your experiences!