“Beautiful Experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 41 hotels in Positano
Hobart, Australia
“Beautiful Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

We are two Australian couples in our 50's who spent 4 nights in Positano while touring Southern Italy. We chose Palazzo Talamo for its elevated position and views and we were not disappointed. The hotel is small and the rooms more than met our expectations, spacious, spotless, and overlooking the Mediterranean. The beach area was easily reached via steps next to the hotel, and it was equally nice to return in a more leisurely way via the winding road. Breakfast was lovely and the family owners (Enza and Carmella) were extremely nice and very helpful with information for us. One hint for those who can stay several days – if possible hire one of the small boats for at least 4 hours and motor down the coast to Amalfi – if there is at least four people this will share the cost – it is a bit expensive but well worth it. Also, there is a lovely restaurant right opposite (Da Vincenzo) and several more within 400 metres just up the road from the hotel. We have no hesitation in recommending this lovely small hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

161 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
victoria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Unfortunately, previous illness prevented us from spending all 3 nights at this hotel. Too bad. The hotel is wonderful as is the town. We had a great and fun filled dinner at the restaurant which is partly on the "sidewalk" next to the hotel. The view from the room was breathtaking. The breakfast very nice and the staff excellent.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Wonderful stay at this great family hotel. The hotel is small approx 12 rooms & although the rooms are not huge they feel so spacious having your own balcony overlooking Positano,gorgeous view. Great bathroom & overall cleanliness was very good. Breakfast selection is small but wonderful home made goodies & hot chocolate GREAT. We were going on a road trip one day & to our surprise they had packed a great take away lunch including a drink in a handy carry paper bag, so unexpected & scruptious. Location for us was perfect, it is a steep walk up from the beach but so is most of Positano. We will never forget our stay here, very memorable and if we are lucky enough to return wouldn't look any further than this precious hotel, a real gem.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Laguna Hills, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Wow! We stayed in room 3 and the views from our patio/balcony were worth a thousand bucks. We had a very private balcony that overlooked Positano bay - a wonderful place to enjoy romantic sunsets. We were fortunate enough to book our stay during Ferragosto celebration & from our hotel room observe the incredibly loud & colorful fireworks (loved it so much more that our usual 4th of July celebrations). The hotel is located 10 min walk from the beach (pebbly, so bring your swimming shoes) and within few steps of delicious local restaurants such as Ristorante da Vincenso, and Il Capitano Ristorante e Pizzeria. Hotel rooms are spacious & decorated with bright, hand painted, locally manufactured tiles. Breakfast is a-ok. Even though we were grateful to have it included it was skimpy in comparison to what we had in other hotels in Italy. It is just a basic Continental breakfast with few choices. Ah, and strangely enough hotel provides you free wi-fi for only one device per room, you have to pay extra 5 euro for each additional one.
If you decide to come by car (which I strongly discourage), be prepared to park before you approach the hotel, there is really no street parking in Positano, so just find a spot, park for 5min & when you check in, hotel staff will park the car for you at the nearby parking for 20 euro a night.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
San Luis Obispo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

I have never stayed here and now never will. I want people to be aware of their credit card issues. I booked this trip March 9, 2013 for an August stay knowing that things get booked up. Then on June 15 I wanted to add a day on to front end of reservation and cancel day on back end. I was planning on keeping the reservation if it did not work out with Palazzo Talamo. They got back to me saying that my credit card was denied and they would be canceling my entire reservation. This was an entire 3 months after initial booking. I called my credit card company-the one I booked my 3 week trip to Italy and Croatia on-and they told me that nothing was denied on their end. After many back and forth emails (with them wanting me to send my credit card info in an email!) they said I could try another card. That one was also denied and again same story from my credit card company who explained that it was a problem on the hotels end.
I have to say I have never experienced this before and I am not a complete novice. Palazzo Talamo was never helpful in any of the emails we exchanged, it was pretty much, we are going to cancel, tough. I was directed through a tripadvisor post to the exact same scenario to another of their customers though it happened to them 3 days before their arrival while they were already traveling. Their issue was resolved and they did end up staying there.
I suppose I can only be grateful that I found all this out a couple of months before traveling. During August's high travel month we were not able to find anything in Positano but were able to book in Praiano. Who knows, it may end up a better stay.
In closing, I suggest anyone that wants to stay here to somehow get confirmation that they have tried to run your card as the hotel has a faulty credit card system.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

This hotel has a great location directly above the port. The views were outstanding and the balcony was a great add. The hotel was extremely clean and well kept. The rooms and shower was a bit small, but as expected in Italy. More than enough room for my gf and I. The staff was great and assisted us with numerous ideas as well as held parts of our luggage when we travelled to Capri for 2 nights free of charge. This was huge since we were doing 2 weeks of traveling and had large bags. They also let us keep the car in the garage for both nights as well. It was great and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again if I find my way back to Positano.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
East Anglia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for three nights at the Palazzo Talamo. We found the hotel staff to be very friendly, courteous and helpful. The hotel itself is a traditional hotel, the rooms well proportioned with bright Italian tiled bathrooms. The cleanliness of the hotel was of a high standard, such as you would expect in your own home. The inclusive continental breakfasts had a wide variety of choice, but in addition to all the praise given it is the location of the hotel is it's outstanding feature that cannot be bettered by man. You will not forget the views. Ever.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Palazzo Talamo? Share your experiences!