“Great location but...” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Wiltshire, United Kingdom
“Great location but...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

This is more of a B&B than a hotel, and the position is excellent which was the main reason for booking it (I have been to Positano before and love Fornillo beach).

The problem we encountered was in the extremely poor communication prior to our visit. Several months before, I had emailed the hotel twice to try to book directly, but got no response whatsoever. I had stated that I would like to book a room on the upper floor. As we got no reply I decided to book online with Travel Republic and booked the most expensively-priced room and sent a message with my booking asking for a room on the upper floor. This was 2-3 months before our trip. Once again, I heard nothing, so I asked my partner to phone the hotel - he did and told Maryse it was a special holiday as we were getting engaged. He said she was rather non-commital but at this point I was just relieved to know she was expecting us.

The room we were given was on the lowest floor and, although very spacious with a (shared) balcony, it was furnished with little taste, bare walls and a very dated bathroom in which the shower didn't work (it was never fixed during our 5 night stay).

On day 2 we asked if they could move us to the upper floor where the rooms have a better view and are furnished to a much higher standard. We seemed to be the only guests in the B&B at this point. Maryse then told us she couldn't move us, and that we had only booked 10 days ago, which made my partner very angry as he had spoken on the phone to her at least 3 weeks previously and months after we had actually booked and paid in full.

Maryse only apologised to me the next day once I said I had brought a copy of my booking form. she said she always allocates online bookings through agencies to the rooms on the lower floor!! She also said she thought there were 3 of us as I had booked a triple room, but she didn't actually ask this question, and it was fairly evident from my partner saying we were getting engaged, that our trip was romantic!

Having said all this, I did like Maryse and the hotel and would stay here again because I like the location - on the proviso I spoke to Maryse personally to make sure I get the room I want. We were just very disappointed that she made no effort to try to make things better for us after admitting she was at fault. For example she might have offered me a discount for visiting again as I had expressed an interest in returning next year. On departure we had to pay 45 euro for a porter to take our 3 bags (2 hand luggage) to the taxi which was at the nearest road (its about 500 steps).

I consider myself a customer who is very reasonable, polite and not difficult to please. I am an experienced traveller all over the world and have stayed in extremely budget hotels to 6 stars. I have not written such a mixed review before, and do so cautiously as I know how important it is to be fair.

My main advice - don't book online through companies such as Travel Republic, unless you want. a family room. Speak to Maryse to book.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor. All are sea-facing.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Gothenburg, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014 via mobile

Fantastic little hotel right on Fornillo beach, only a short walk from the centre. Clean, spacious rooms with a wonderful sea view. The staff is super friendly and Maryse is such a lovely lady! I will definitely stay here next time I go to Positano.

• Stayed July 2014
chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

Located at the north beach, away from the highly populated tourist area, but close enough with a beautiful 10 minute winding path walk along the waters edge/cliff. Nothing fancy, but great view, clean, and spacious. Take the water taxi in !!! you won't have to climb that many steps - it is much easier than taking the bus. In fact if you are day tripping along the coast (Almalfi, Sorrento..) take the hydrofoils instead of the bus ! Much quicker, less aggravating, less crowded, and less motion sickness compared to the twisting roads the bus takes.

Room Tip: One with a balcony !
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

I would highly recommend this hotel for friendly couples for a very romantic holiday. We used the taxi service from the airport that was arranged through the hotel's very lovely owner Maryse by email before we arrived. Our driver was Nino and he was fantastic, pointing out points of interest along the way from Naples to Positano. We also booked him on our last day to go back to the airport and he was on time, no problem. Once you walk down all of those stairs to the hotel, and walk into your room and look out either from your terrace, balcony or huge window, you will be entranced and amazed at the beauty of the area. I too would not recommend this hotel (or Positano in general!) for people with young children or the elderly or less able. There are stairs everywhere and you need to be very able. My legs were certainly feeling it and found myself out of breath. It's better for couples who are able to walk easily. Our room was immaculate with a huge comfy bed, and a new bathroom. I loved the tiles and how simply pretty it all looked. Our terrace was amazing. We left the doors open so we could listen to the waves throughout the night. We also left them open when we went out with no problems. Plenty of lovely clean towels and beach towels were provided. You will need to take your own hairdryer. Breakfast was welcoming and gorgeous with fresh fruit that melted in your mouth, apricot-filled croissants, cheese, rolls, spreads, yoghurts, cereal, coffee, and juices etc.. on offer. Even the plates and cups were so pretty! Our room was cleaned each day. We visited the bar/restaurant below called Ferdinandos bar A LOT. We even hired the sun beds all day on the beach from this bar. They are the nicest, most welcoming & fun people! Their food and drink were the most reasonably priced (Positano is expensive!) and also the best. The coastal walk from Fornillo beach into the Positano town and main beach was incredibly romantic especially when dimly lit at night. The views will take your breath away! Thank you, Maryse for an absolutely wonderful stay! We hope to return one day!

Room Tip: I'm sure all rooms had amazing views!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

We stayed here for a long weekend in June. We decided to book after reading the positive reviews on trip advisor. Access to the house is down a huge amount of stairs and for this reason we would not reccomend the accommodation for families with young children. Older guests would need to be very fit. The owners were delightul and welcoming. The accommodation is fairly basic but spotlessly clean. The room we stayed in didn't benefit from a new bathroom. Ours was dated but fully functional. We had a problem with the shower but it was repaired as soon as we made the owners aware. The room would have been better if a mirror was put up. The only one available was in the bathroom.The view from the terrace could be improved if the plants and bushes were cut back. The wifi didn't work in our room but was ok in the dining area.
The location is ideal for beach lovers. Fantastic views are guaranteed!
On our return we rearranged our taxi to collect us from the pharmacy in positano as it involved far fewer stairs! We had arranged our own transfers but the hotel do offer their own.
A lovely place to spend a few days.
Highly recommend Ferdinandos beach bar and la Terraza restaurant

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

Amazing holiday location on the beach so close you can hear the waves that send you into a deep sleep. Wonderful views from all the rooms available. From the start of our holiday the owner Maryse and husband made us feel very welcome. We traveled down the stairs which only take you 10mins it's easier traveling down the stairs than up but it's all part of you holiday experience. Fantastic welcome every morning at breakfast. There is a nice walk less with less stairs from the beach to your left and follow it round to Positano town 5 mins. This hotel has a great location which feels like your living amongst the locals and only a 5 mins from the town of Positano. I recommend this hotel to anyone. I always trawl through trip adviser reviews and I can assure you will love your stay with this hotel. Breakfast is a mixture of fruit, lovely breads, they service you a nice hot drink or a variety of fruit juice to start your day of exploring. Rooms are cleaned daily. Do not let the reviews of the steps bother you, if you are fairly fit you will be fine. You do get used to them and there is a much easier walk from the beach round to the town. The only hard bit is to get your luggage up and down but if you pack light or you can have a porter collect them or take them down to hotel for you at a small charge ask the hotel to send you the information. We had managed getting our luggage from hotel fine, it's worth it once you open the patio doors to the sea and those views. we left our window patio doors open all day and night no issues of flys at all. The room also has air con if needed. The room does have a safe and tea and coffee facility's. Loved our stay here. It was my first time to Italy and the area of Positano was lovely and close to Amalfi and Ravello, Sorento was a little further but I recommend getting the boat from Positano or the hop on hop off holiday site seeing tour bus. I hope this review helps.

Room Tip: Any room has a view onto the beach, if you would like a patio, balcony or a room with very large win...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

I would highly recommend this place to anyone. Maryse (the owner) was wonderful and went out of her way to accommodate us! The room we had had a beautiful balcony with beach view and was great to wake up to every morning. It was a two minute walk to the beach and 10 minute walk into town. It was also the cheapest place we could find, great value for money! I would recommend to anyone wanting a relaxing holiday.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Residence La Dolce Vita? Share your experiences!