“A little gem ” 4 of 5 stars

Via Fornillo 31, 84017 Positano, Italy   |
london
“A little gem ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

We stayed here for a long weekend in June. We decided to book after reading the positive reviews on trip advisor. Access to the house is down a huge amount of stairs and for this reason we would not reccomend the accommodation for families with young children. Older guests would need to be very fit. The owners were delightul and welcoming. The accommodation is fairly basic but spotlessly clean. The room we stayed in didn't benefit from a new bathroom. Ours was dated but fully functional. We had a problem with the shower but it was repaired as soon as we made the owners aware. The room would have been better if a mirror was put up. The only one available was in the bathroom.The view from the terrace could be improved if the plants and bushes were cut back. The wifi didn't work in our room but was ok in the dining area.
The location is ideal for beach lovers. Fantastic views are guaranteed!
On our return we rearranged our taxi to collect us from the pharmacy in positano as it involved far fewer stairs! We had arranged our own transfers but the hotel do offer their own.
A lovely place to spend a few days.
Highly recommend Ferdinandos beach bar and la Terraza restaurant

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

Amazing holiday location on the beach so close you can hear the waves that send you into a deep sleep. Wonderful views from all the rooms available. From the start of our holiday the owner Maryse and husband made us feel very welcome. We traveled down the stairs which only take you 10mins it's easier traveling down the stairs than up but it's all part of you holiday experience. Fantastic welcome every morning at breakfast. There is a nice walk less with less stairs from the beach to your left and follow it round to Positano town 5 mins. This hotel has a great location which feels like your living amongst the locals and only a 5 mins from the town of Positano. I recommend this hotel to anyone. I always trawl through trip adviser reviews and I can assure you will love your stay with this hotel. Breakfast is a mixture of fruit, lovely breads, they service you a nice hot drink or a variety of fruit juice to start your day of exploring. Rooms are cleaned daily. Do not let the reviews of the steps bother you, if you are fairly fit you will be fine. You do get used to them and there is a much easier walk from the beach round to the town. The only hard bit is to get your luggage up and down but if you pack light or you can have a porter collect them or take them down to hotel for you at a small charge ask the hotel to send you the information. We had managed getting our luggage from hotel fine, it's worth it once you open the patio doors to the sea and those views. we left our window patio doors open all day and night no issues of flys at all. The room also has air con if needed. The room does have a safe and tea and coffee facility's. Loved our stay here. It was my first time to Italy and the area of Positano was lovely and close to Amalfi and Ravello, Sorento was a little further but I recommend getting the boat from Positano or the hop on hop off holiday site seeing tour bus. I hope this review helps.

Room Tip: Any room has a view onto the beach, if you would like a patio, balcony or a room with very large win...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

I would highly recommend this place to anyone. Maryse (the owner) was wonderful and went out of her way to accommodate us! The room we had had a beautiful balcony with beach view and was great to wake up to every morning. It was a two minute walk to the beach and 10 minute walk into town. It was also the cheapest place we could find, great value for money! I would recommend to anyone wanting a relaxing holiday.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014 via mobile

Combines perfect mix of quiet seclusion overlooking private beach, yet just minutes from main centre by lovely cliff side walk. A small hotel of only 4 rooms I think, I had it to myself for most of the week. The owners live there, and were most hospitable and friendly, even giving me an apartment with larger balcony due to a cancellation. Spotlessly clean, with well-appointed bathrooms and very comfortable beds in both rooms I stayed in. Internet access was a little problematic at times, and I sometimes had to move about and rejoin the network etc, but it was always possible to go to the breakfast room down the hall, where coverage was always 100%.
The view from all of the rooms is gorgeous, looking out over the beach into a small cove framed by the cliffs jutting out into the sea on either side, with the excellent restaurant (see tips) directly below. A section of the cliff path to the town centre and main beach can be seen from the balcony, as well as the lovely sight of massive lemons growing in the owners garden, overhanging one of the apartments.
The apartments are just a small number of steps - maybe 30-40 - above the beach.
The price you pay for seclusion in such a location is that if you want to get to your car park - yes, I hired a car and drove from Naples - you have a stiff walk up steep steps, which takes about 10-12 minutes, but is not for the infirm. To be fair though, any accommodation in Positano suffers the same balance: the closer to sea level you are, the further you are from roads with access for cars/buses etc, as the roads loop away some height above the beach. Help was provided with luggage, both on arrival and departure, but if you've got young kids or older or immobile members of your party, getting around from here might be an issue.
Also, breakfast is rather limited, but as this was my first time in Italy (ashamed to say) I cannot reliably compare it, but its a much lighter breakfast than I would be used to at home or in say Spain, but more like the French. Speaking of food, there is no 'in-house' restaurant, but directly below, on the steps to the beach, is a really good and reasonably priced seafood restaurant.
Overall highly recommended. I could, and may well return next year.

Restaurant Pupetto, directly below hotel on way to beach, was the best restaurant I ate in. It was also the best value! It was three days in, after walking through this restaurant on my way to eat in the town, that I finally decided to stop on my way through. What a good move! I cannot comment on meat dishes, as i didn't have any, but the seafood was excellent, and I ended up eating here on three occasions, and I only had seven days, so that says something.
Grilled sea bream in a beachfront restaurant you expect to be great, but their seafood linguine, salt-baked red snapper, and absolute revelation, their mixed seafood soup (more of a casserole with squid, whole prawns, clams, mussels, sardine and salmon cutlets, with a drizzle of tomato-based sauce with croutons) was spectacular. House white best (and again cheapest) house wine I came across.
I did eat in Da Vincense, most highly rated on lots of review sites, and it was fine, but Pupetto for me blew all opposition away, on all main categories: food quality, value, service (very helpful, welcoming waiters), and location on beach nice too.
Can also recommend Wine Dark House in town centre beside church, for daytime lunch etc. Also, for excellent value good quality snacks (delicious pizza slices, cakes, drinks etc) overlooking main beach, Paradise is informal self-service bar style cafe.

Souvenir shopping: make sure item youre given matches item displayed !!!
La Saracena, a shop on the seafront, might have been given the benefit of the doubt for overlooking inclusion of the cork stopper (included with display model) in the olive oil dispenser I bought, but they'd have trouble offering that defence for omitting the printed "Positano" motif (again on display model) from the bag that I bought for my daughter!

Transport: driving was a bit of a hassle, to be honest. If you want to get about, there is a pretty good local Sita bus service, connecting local towns, including the likes of Amalfi, a little further away, but check bus service while you're there before you commit to a trip: I got ferry to Amalfi, planning to bus back to Bomerano and do the 'walk of the gods' from there back to Nocelle, then bus back to Positano. Had great day on ferry and in Amalfi (well worth the trip, check out cathedral), only to find notorious busmen on strike!

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Salisbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

This is an excellent place to stay on the Amalfi cost. Run by a very nice, friendly couple, each room has a balcony with an amazing view. The rooms are clean and tidy and each room a little different. Right next to the beach and approx. 10 mins to the main part of town. We would recommend this to everybody!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

I recently took a girl trip to Italy with two of my friends and my stay here was the best part of my trip. Our room was spacious, clean and comfortable for three people and the views were spectacular. We arrived by ferry and the B&B was just a short walk from the beach. Unfortunately, we took the long way to get there and were tired from hauling our luggage all the way up to the road and down again. When we made it to La Dolce, Vincento opened a bottle of wine for us and took our bags up the steps to our room. Both Vincento and Marissa were so nice and enjoyed visiting with them. I will definitely be staying there again on my next trip to Positano. Our stay was amazing.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Edina, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

My fiance and I had a wonderful time staying at the La Dolce Vita for 4 nights in September. The views are spectacular and the B&B is a short walk from the beach. The hotel is situated in a bay just next to the main village of Positano but the walk between the two is a lovely coastal path with stunning views. The rooms are nicely decorated and very up-to-date. The owners are very hospitable and made our breakfast each morning. We highly recommend the B&B.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Residence La Dolce Vita? Share your experiences!