“A bit of a trek” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 41 hotels in Positano
Raleigh, North Carolina
“A bit of a trek”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

If you take the bus in to Positano, you'll need to get off at Bar Nationale and walk 10 minutes down the hill to the hotel. If you're coming to/from Naples airport or train station, I'd highly recommend you splurge for car service. On our way in we did not, so we took a bus from Naples airport to the Naples train station where we got off at Pompeii Scavi to tour the ruins. The train station is just two minutes from the entrance and you can store your luggage at no charge. From there we got back on the train to Sorrento and then transferred to a bus to Positano, then walked down the hill to the hotel. Needless to say, quite a journey!! On the return, the hotel owner was able to get a car at the very last minute (thank you it was well worth it) for a reasonable rate. If there is one area to splurge, trust me this is it.

I travel fairly frequently and I found the family that runs this small hotel to be very nice and helpful and the rooms satisfactory. The rates are reasonable for Positano for sure. The location is quite a walk from the main area of Positano. They'll tell you it's just a short 10 minute walk, but I think they are used to the heat because it was a bit of a trek for us:-) I think in cooler months it would be fine, but June through September you'll sweat to death in the heat of the sun by the time you make the walk, so take the bus. I believe they run every 15 minutes and there is a bus stop very near to the hotel.

It was my mom and I on this trip, so we had requested two beds. The room was ready for us when we arrived on the second floor and with two beds like I had requested. They had brought in a twin roll up bed, as the bed in the room is a double and not split king like you see in many other rooms in Europe. It made things a bit tighter in terms of space, but it was much better than having to share a bed! The bathrooms are in desperate need of some shelving. We found it challenging to get ready without anywhere to set our curling irons, make up, etc.

The balcony in our second floor room was HUGE with the most amazing view you'll ever see. There are lovely potted flowers and grapes hanging from the arbor. It truly is lovely and really something you'll never forget...the horizon goes on endlessly. In the evenings a singer and musicians walk the streets and sing. They stop out front to perform and it is really a treat to take it all in from your balcony. There is an outdoor restaurant that also has amazing views where you can sit and enjoy breakfast, cocktails, lunch or dinner. By the way, the cappucinos at breakfast were the best ever!!!

The bed was comfy and I slept well. The one thing that was a nuisance during our stay was that the AC unit in our room kept dripping water on to the TV and floor and management had to come up twice to drain it. We had to keep towels out covering the floor and TV.

If you're a first time visitor to Positano, be sure to make to trip up to Ravello. It's beautiful! We wished we would have spent two nights there as well, but maybe next time. Also, we did a walking tour of Positano as soon as we arrived with Christine (http://www.discoverpositano.it/). It was helpful in getting the lay of the land the history on Positano. I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: second floor rooms with large balconies
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

315 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Korean first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

This hotel is a great location because it is easy access for cars to drop and pick up with luggage and the views are breathtaking. We had a suite, with a living room and a small terrace. When the weather was nice we sat on our travel companions large terrace and when it was rainy, we all sat in our large living room with the terrace doors wide open. Very luxurious. The family that runs it was so helpful, and the father was a delight to talk with. We ate the restaurant for dinner one night and the salads are exceptional.

Room Tip: We were in #2, the Venere, huge with a living room, my sister and brother-in-law were in #4, upstair...
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

We ate at Gabbiano last night. Group of five and no tables left outside so they quickly created a space for us with great views. Waiter was attentive and knowledgable about the wine which made selection easy. Bread basket was plentiful and complimentary brusheta was very good. Four had pasta dishes and I had the Risotto which came in a hollowed out Mellon. Very good. Price for 5 mains with water, 2 bottles of wine a beer and 2 coffee was 119Euro. I would happily return. Special note - the toilets were immaculate.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Mermaid Waters, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

We stayed at Villa Gabrisa for a week in one of their lovely suites.The room was spacious with a large living area, bedroom and en suite. The view from our balcony was one of the best views I have ever had the pleasure of seeing - The Mediterranean in all it's glory.
The family run hotel gives very personalised service - we felt like home. All of the staff speak English and would go out of their way to offer suggestions for our stay and organise personalised day trips for us.
Their restaurant was also awesome. We had lovely meals there while enjoying the incredible views. We will definitely be returning to this wonderful Hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Had booked to stay at this hotel with my mother for 4 nights. I had asked for separate beds and was told that would be fine. Unfortunately when we arrived we were informed that there was not room for twin beds in the hotel and so they gave us an apartment on another level. This apartment was lovely, with large rooms and bathroom, a kitchen and a large balcony with a limited view of the water. The problem was it was down 2 steep flights of stone steps which my nearly 80 year old mother found very difficult to use. I realise I should have informed the hotel my mother was elderly but did not realise we would not be accommodated in the main building. Robyn the owner was very helpful the next morning when I said we would have to move to a hotel with easier access as my mother was scared to go up and down the steps for meals. She rang around until she found a hotel nearby that would take us for the remaining 3 nights and arranged a porter to take our bags to the new hotel. She even sent some things from the room that we forgot and rang to make sure we were comfortable. The other thing that was so impressive was that she transferred the money we had prepaid for our 3 nights to the new hotel. She was under no obligation to do this as the terms stated we lost 100% of our money if we cancelled after arrival. I can not speak highly enough of her care for us. She is originally from New Zealand so it was handy that she spoke English .

Room Tip: If you don't like steps do not stay in the apartment. The main hotel would have fantastic views.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

We really enjoyed our 3 night stay at Villa Gabrisa. We were upgraded for our stay so had a suite. The room was great - spacious and comfy and the view from the small balcony was fantastic. The staff at the hotel could not have been any more helpful - they all spoke brilliant English and went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable and trouble free. The location is great as well - it is just a short walk into town and the road noise isn't a problem at all and you get the benefit of the incredible views over the bay. Highly recommended.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

My trip to Positano was the best vacation ever. Besides the positive emotions that I received form the Positano views, mountains, town... was the hotel me and my wife staid at. Italian family runs Hotel Villa Gabrisa and they are absolutely incredible people that made us feel like home since the first minute at their place. Besides absolutely stunning views from our room we had a lot of enjoyment spending time at their restaurant. The restaurant at the villa located right across from the hotel on the cliff which has one of the most romantic views I ever saw. Food was great and service was on the highest level. We spent 5 nights in Positano and visited different restaurants. The restaurant at our hotel was by far the best in the town...
First when I just arrived to the hotel I was a little concerned about been high on the mountain and away from the beach. But after spending 1 day there you realize that this is the best location as the views are absolutely stunning while to reach the beach either by walk or bus doesn't take more than 15 minutes. Plus on the way up and down you have a chance to look at the whole town from different angles or visit different parts of it.
I strongly recommend this place to anyone who wants to get unforgettable vacation. I'm already planning my trip back... :))

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Villa Gabrisa? Share your experiences!