“Much improved” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #36 of 41 Hotels in Positano
Jerusalem
“Much improved”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2009

After I had reserved a place, I read the reviews and got scared. However, I found the staff friendly and helpful, the linens clean smelling, sensible rules, and in general as comfortable a place as can be expected for a hostel

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2009

I wish I had read the other reviews before I booked a room here. My boyfriend and I stayed in a small private room for 80 euros per night with no window, very thin walls ( I could hear everything the neighbors did and said), and linens reeking of urine.

The room was in desperate need of ventilation, which management attempted to resolve by installing a battery-operated air freshener that made a loud croaking noise whenever it dispersed its scent. This, coupled with Christina's ferociously barking dog, did not make for a good night's sleep.

The cramped shared bathroom was also less than lovely. There is no shower curtain, so count on flooding the bathroom and soaking your things when you use the shower. In addition, the door doesn't have a lock and there was no evidence of recent cleaning.

This place does not supply parking, which is a big problem in Positano. I would definitely shell out a little more for a better place that does.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2009

I never stayed in a Hostel before and didn't know what to expect. Coming from NYC, all I am use to is Hotels. What I learned is that a Hostel is a bit different than a Hotel in that it has a more cozy atmosphere. The first thing that caught my eye was the view from the lobby entrance. It has the most spectacular view and balcony with tons of table and chairs. Since the Hostel is located right on top of Positano, it has an amazing view of the beach. It is also located on the side of the mountain, so when you go on the balcony, you get the collision of the beach air and mountain air, which is something to experience and worth the whole visit itself.

The staff were friendly on a given time and day. If you speak to Cristiana, she will give you any touristic information that she knows. She helped me by guiding me down to the bottom of Positano and telling me about how to get back up by bus (take the bus if you can because the hill is steep going back up). I found the premises pretty clean for Italy, considering that I spent some nights in a Hotel that charge Hotel prices and was utterly disgusting. I found the toliet seat missing odd at first but then after visiting all kinds of restaurants and public toliets (including the supermarket Auchan), I found that it is a local tradition in Southern Italy to promote cleanliness.

I found the maid to do a good job and my room always smelled fresh after she cleaned it. They have a bar area that offers reasonable drinks (i.e $4 euros for a bottle of wine), which you can drink while sitting on the terrace. The location of the Hostel is ideal because it is right on top of the town and near the bus stop. It is located near a deli, restuarants and fruit stand. You can bring in food into your room, just do not make a blantant effort of doing it.

I would be coming here again. For a NYer, this place makes it very easy to enjoy Italy and Positano with a homey feel to it.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2008

We just came from a 5 night stay at Hostel Briketteand I completely agree with previous reviews regarding staff and smells.

On arrival we were actually really pleased with how close it was to the bus stop HOWEVER when we got there we finally found our own way in and checked in with the receptionist (Nicola). We paid cash in full and found Nicola to be very rude and unpleasent. We couldn't check in until 2.30pm (even though it was 1.30pm) so we took in the town with no help from Nicola- even though we asked. When we returned we took ourselves to our room (again- no help with anything) and found the room to be ok. The bathroom was VERY smelly which made our room smell and had no toilet seat, no bathmat and would flood EVERYTIME someone had a shower.
Our room faced a courtyard which was shared by the owners of the dogs. if we left the window open (which we would have to due to the smell) the dog would bark and come over to our room. They were EXTREMLEY LOUD and really unproffessional.

As I said we spent 5 nights there and were trying to save money. Although we were told there was WIFI- we couldn't even get it when we were sitting in the lobby while the staff ignored us and ate dinner and watched movies on their laptop. On the thrid night my boyfriend went to ask Nicola if we could borrow a DVD to watch because we were very bored in our room with no TV. She said she may have some but they were in her office all the way upstairs.....so I guess that's a no!!

Overall we found Nicola to be an incredibly rude and unhelpful lady and felt like she actually went out of her way to make our stay UNpleasent. We were so disappointed with the hostel and wouldn't reccommend it to anyone. Try and find a hotel for a similar price in a better spot with better facilities and most importantly BETTER STAFF!

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Staff
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2008

Neutral to negative review:::

Didnt feel that welcome as we arrived late and were immediately snarled at for not phoning. The next day i phoned (as we were away) in to complain about one or two things, one of which that there was no toilet seat on the toilet. Was told that this is 'the style' that the bathroom was done in (????). When we arrived back that night i was confronted in an aggressive, belittling and nasty tone which was quite shocking. Really unbelievable!! The main woman who lords over the place seemed to take great offense to the fact that i had a complaint. I realized quickly during the assault that responding to her in the same manner would probably be unwise. Sheeesh!!! Scary!!!

The Hostel itself is pretty decent. We stayed in a private room with on suite bathroom. It has a great view although its on the main road which suffers from hooting busses and traffic jams and bored kamakazi kids on their scooters whizzing up and down all day and night so your sleep may suffer a little. Also you arent supposed to take food up even though we had our own terrace so we ended up having to sneak it in which is rather pathetic. When you ask for a double bed in the booking you get two single beds pushed together.

Generally i would say its a lottery going to the Hostel Brikette. You may have a decent time but you have to play rather diligantly at their rules and not complain about anything. The two women who manage it are very unprofessional.

• Liked — The view from the terrace
  • Disliked — The manageress!
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Buenos Aires
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2008

We booked for 3 nights and we coudn't avoid staying 2 more !!
Positano is one of the best places on earth and Ostello Brikette allowed us to enjoy it and make our stay wonderful. Cheap prices, clean and simple rooms. Nice and helful owner and employees. It is up the hill but the way is sooo beautiful, its a pleasure to go up and down everyday :) + there's a bus stop right there + cheaper food stores around.
Breakfast is not very good but if you love coffee and good corneti you can have delicious ones at "bar international" , down the street by the bus stop.

• Stayed July 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Stockholm, Sweden
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2008

I have just returned from a week on the Amalfi Coast with 4 nights in Sorrento and 3 nights in Positano. Upon arriving at this hostel you think it is wonderful - amazing views and a beautiful big terrace... that is until you meet the staff. Two women recently took over the management of this hostel in March and if they continue to be as rude and unhelpful as they were to us then I wouldn't be surprised if they are out of business very soon - I would recommend you find a pensione to stay in rather than here. The first fellow travellers we met as we walked in the door said to us to turn around and find somewhere else to stay and we should have taken their advice!

Firstly, we had booked through a hostel website where we had already paid a deposit. The owners refused to acknowledge this deposit and forced us to pay the full amount again.

Our room had an amazing terrace off it but we were not allowed to bring any of our own food or drink onto it, we couldn't even buy a drink at their bar and take it onto our room terrace! (Not sure exactly why you would have a terrace if you can't have a glass of wine and watch the sun set on it.) There are no kitchen facilities available.

When we booked we were told that breakfast and internet were included. When we arrived we found that internet was 2 euro for 15 minutes and we had to pay for breakfast (apparently the previous owners used to do a big home cooked breakfast - don't believe any of this anymore!)

When we asked for information about buses to other parts of the Amalfi Coast we were told blatantly wrong information about where to catch buses from, how long they would take and what time they would leave - when we arrived back and told them what the right information was and suggested it might be better that they say "I don't know" rather than give wrong information we were told that "You shouldn't trust anyone if you are trying to get somewhere at a certain time"!

It is such a pity that a great hostel in a beautiful location is being run into the ground by the new management. Please don't stay here if you want a pleasant vacation.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — Rude and unhelpful staff
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Ostello Brikette? Share your experiences!