“It doesn't get better than this...” 5 of 5 stars

Il San Pietro di Positano
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   via Laurito, 2, 84017 Positano, Italy   |
Ranked #6 of 41 Hotels in Positano
Brooklyn, NY
“It doesn't get better than this...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Prepare for a life changing stay at this hotel. It's absurdly awesome. The views are ridiculous, the service is top notch, the entire place is very very very clean, the pool is wonderful, the 11:30am boat ride along the coast in the Mediterranean (included in the price of your room, bring your swimsuit if it's warm out) made me feel like a celebrity, the breakfast and food were superb, and overall this was a great experience. Prepare to spend a lot of money, but for it to be very worth it. The wifi in our room was barely fast enough to use and that was very annoying for us, but the hotel was still a dream come true.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

Situated just outside of Positano is the lovely Il San Pietro. It is a gorgeous property built into the cliffs. All of the rooms appear to have sea view, with fewer facing the town of Positano. The real strength of this property is the impressive location and the beautifully designed public areas. Our room, although categorized as Deluxe, was quite small and simply furnished. We did, however, have a small private terrace with a nice view of the sea. The main terrace of the hotel was gorgeous. From it you could view Positano as well as a small town to the south. It was a great place to enjoy a glass of wine in the afternoon and appreciate the spectacular scenery. Breakfast and dinner were served in a lovely, spacious dining room overlooking the sea. There was a nice selection of breakfast items that unfortunately did not vary, and given the nightly room rate, I found it a bit surprising that there were additional charges for items that would be standard at a resort of this caliber. (ie made to order eggs, prosciutto, smoked salmon, etc.) Service was very professional and efficient. I particularly enjoyed the location of the hotel with its beautiful view and magnificent gardens. You were away from the tourist traffic yet their shuttle brought you into town very promptly. Il San Pietro is definitely a very special place to spend some time on the lovely Amalfi Coast.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

From the moment you arrive at this absolutely beautiful, glorious location, and escorted to your gorgeous room overlooking the sea, be prepare to be wowed. The people who work here are ALL professionals, from the chamber maids to the pool "boys" (all well over 40) to the folks working reception, everyone here just wants to take care of you. Having said that, this is not an American chain restaurant featuring Harvey, your server tonight; rather, this is a first class, ultra-relaxing, ultra-pampering experience, once you get over the initial sticker price shock. And yes, it is expensive, but worth every penny. Just think of it this way - Il San Pietro is that calm oasis close to the maddening but exciting crowd that is Positano. Go and experience!

Room Tip: All rooms have a sea view, so it's hard to go wrong!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

I returned to Il San Pietro to get married after a wonderful stay several years ago. The hotel doesn't really emphasize or cater to group special events. However after much cajoling, they said ok and made our wedding an event to remember. When the weather didn't cooperate for our planned beach side service, we were quickly offered the beautiful dining room for our service. The staff couldn't have been more accommodating or gratuitous to our group. Our rooms were beautiful and the grounds are unmatched by all other properties. It is not inexpensive but it is well worth the price. Virginia, the owner is always present and busy greeting guests or arranging flowers in the lobby. She is a gem of a hotelier.

This is not to say the hotel is perfect. The mattresses
are a bit firm for my liking and the plumbing is a tad noisy in some of the rooms. None of these things keep me from wanting to return.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
boca raton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

There is actually no need to read this review- just go. This has to be that most incredible hotel we've ever been to or could have imagined.
The views are amazing, the gardens are gorgeous and the food at the restaurant was ridiculously good.
Have an awesome time !

• Stayed October 2013
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here last week and were thoroughly impressed. We were definitely some of, if not the, youngest guests there but that didn't bother us as we were just there to relax. This is definitely a very nice but very expensive hotel, which likely explains the age demographic being in the 60+ region. Still though, it manages to feel extremely refined but also really cool at the same time. When you walk into the main lobby it is so luxurious and full of character with interesting touches everywhere you look. When you come out of the elevator that runs down literally through the rock face to the rocky beach/ tanning/ swimming area you feel like you are in a scene from an old school James Bond movie. SO cool!!!!! The beach restaurant that is only open for lunch is amazing both in food and ambience; making for a very memorable and enjoyable meal. Luigi and all the staff down at the beach level are fantastic; very friendly and warm. On the topic of staff, I am interested in reading some of the other reviews here about how people felt that they were treated rudely or abruptly etc. All I can say is that this must be a cultural difference. I am Canadian and my husband is English and we both have thorough understanding of the fact that approaches to service vary greatly around the world. While the service here is different than that which you might get in North America, it by no means makes it bad. This is typical, reserved, yet civilised European service. They are focussed on getting the job done and being as unobtrusive as possible, not on being your best friend. Some may take this approach as being snobby or unfriendly but I really feel that they should try to just accept that service is different all around the world and that no harm is meant by it. The staff here make it very clear that they are there to serve and to help you; let them get on with it.
Watching the sunset over Positano while enjoying an aparatif outside in the expansive seating area is a magical experience and one of the most memorable during our stay on the Amalfi Coast.
The Michelin Star restaurant is very impressive. Instead of getting caught up in the, at times,
pretentious ways that we found can come with other such restaurants in the region, it focusses on serving good honest gourmet food. The "amuse bouche" equivalent is a slice of (the best!!!) pizza... How refreshing for a place of that calibre to not take things so seriously and to introduce such a cute (and delicious) element into the meal! Never have we had such a good meal, served by waiters in tuxes manage to feel so laid back and relaxed at the same time.
If you're looking for a hotel that allows you to have easy walking into Positano then this isn't for you (although you can easily water taxi into town which makes for a fun experience and takes under 5 minutes) - if you want to be transported away and into an oasis of cool
serene luxury (with the price tag to match) then this is definitely the spot for you!

• Stayed September 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

This was our honeymoon. I know this because I arranged it. I also know this because I spent months beforehand arranging it. The hotel knew this because when I checked in there was a note by our name in the check in register indicating "honeymoon couple". How devastating that the only thing my wife trusted me with was to book the honeymoon. How disappointing that it was staffed by miserable, repressed, arrogant, inconsiderate, thoughtless staff. How embarrassing that we changed rooms after one day because we were put in a room next to a boiler on steroids. How frustrated was I that we elicited not one congratulatory greeting after 3 days so I asked one of the staff to congratulate my wife. And why the arrogance? Because they have been blessed with the opportunity to work at a property of immense natural beauty? And because they have access to a rock which they euphemistically describe as a beach? In the interests of balance I must say the service and food on the rock was very good. And because no doubt whatever I say they have no desire to attract new repeat customers as they will have a procession of like-minded pompous Europeans happy to experience service that can only be described as prehistoric. I have waited a year to write this review to see if my memories grew fonder. But as my wife and I enjoy our anniversary in California where a) people are polite and friendly b) the natural beauty doesn't instil an air of arrogance c) there is value for money I know I am still scarred. How sad to say we plan never to return to our honeymoon location. Did I mention it was our honeymoon. I would hope that market forces prevail and eventually this place closes down but sadly a review of the reviews suggest I am in a minority. You only get one shot at a honeymoon (or maybe two).

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Il San Pietro di Positano? Share your experiences!