“very nice choice” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 41 Hotels in Positano
New Jersey
“very nice choice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2009

Hotel Villa Franca was a wonderful choice for our stay in Positano.
The location is lovely with spectacular views. It is located on a mountain, so there is a long walk down (longer up!) to the town and the beach. We enjoyed the walking, but some will find it too strenuous. If so, the hotel offers a shuttle between the hotel and town that runs frequently, so you can avoid the walk if you want. The decor is lovely. The rooms and the hotel are very clean. Some may think the rooms are small. We thought they were big enough and absolutely comfortable. This hotel has a wonderful pool on the roof with the same amazing views. However, they close the pool at 6:00pm. It is lovely there at night. They should rethink this policy. They also have one pool boy that is less than accomodating. (The one in a straw hat.) Their breakfast buffet is very nice and very adequate. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2009

Visiting Positano in mid July ment that this hotel was certainly not cheap. However it fell far short of expectations, as a four star. Our room smelt damp and was very basic (although the balcony was lovely) and at the bottom of a stairwell, we could hear magnified converstations of any fellow guests coming and going (and the american in the next door room snoring!) The hotel is very basic, and breakfast was unappetising. The pool on the roof is hardly exciting, and I dont think anything would have enticed me to eat in the restaurant, as it was lacking in character. The hotel staff (with excpetion to one lady) were totally shambolic - when we asked them to book us tables for dinner they forgot. We cut our stay short by a day and headed to Capri. Frankly, I would recommend one night in Positano, or have lunch and pass through - the town is lovely, but the atmosphere is so touristy that there is little original character left. This was a surprise as many friends raved about it. I would also either pay a bit more and stay in a truely great hotel, or pay far less and stay in a b&b. Villa Franca is expensive and not worth it.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2009

We have just returned from our two week honeymoon at the Villa Franca in Positano. Positano is the most romantic and beautiful place we have ever been with breath taking views at every corner. Villa Franca is a beautiful hotel which is run by a very friendly and attentive family. We never experienced any problems with any of the staff or family members as mentioned in a review below. The staff were at all times friendly and courteous. In fact the italian people (we visited Pompei, Sorrento & Capri) were very very friendly even when we didn't speak a word of their language. I have never been to a country where the people are so friendly. Villa Franca has to be the most romantic hotel we have ever stayed in and was perfect for our honeymoon. We had a large spacious room with a view of the sea and the town. As the hotel is positioned high up we enjoyed magnificent views from our balcony. Don't let this put you off the as the hotel runs a very good free shuttle bus service to take you to and from the bottom and there is also an internal bus. I would say however that the elderly and those with disabilities may struggle in Positano as there are some steep footways and steps in the town which can be quite taxing in the heat. The food in Villa Franca was gorgeous, myself and my husband enjoyed several evening meals there during our stay and would really reccommend the beef fillet or the veal which were both beautiful. Breakfast can be taken either in your room (or in our case on the balcony overlooking that tremendous view) or in the hotel which also has fantastic views. This was the perfect honeymoon destination for us, we went on several trips but also had a chance to relax and enjoy each others company in a beautiful place. I would definitely reccommend that people visit Positano and the Villa Franca. We hope to return for our 10 year anniversary!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Sharon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2009

My husband and I along with our two children ages 7 and 10 just returned from a glorious vacation to Positano where we stayed at Villa Franca. Our experience at Villa Franca was top notch. I was SHOCKED to see some recent reviews stating terrible service. I can only comment that they were always friendly, never did I hear screaming. They were professional, curtious, kind and warm. They welcomed us and made our stay and experience superb. Let me state that I travel extensively in the US and abroad for work and I know excellent service when I see it. You pay for it, but you get what you pay for at Villa Franca. The night we arrived we were so exhausted from a long delayed trip from Boston that we over slept and missed breakfast completely. We woke up at 12:00noon! I walked down to the main resturant to see if there was some food left and everything had been cleared. The owners daughter graciously packed us hot croissants and coffee and fruit for the beach. She went out of her way to assist us to make sure the kids had something to eat. The hours for breakfast were over, this is small boutique hotel, yet they made sure they catered to all our needs. Breakfast has a very good variety of food, from cereal, hot croissants, coffee, juice, eggs, bacon, fruit, pizza, cheeses etc. The quality of the food is excellent. We ate at the hotel twice and had very pleasant dining experience. The wait staff is attentive and works hard to please their guests. We never went to the pool, but did go up to see it. It is small with limited seating, but has incredible views. The sleeping rooms were spacious and decorated with the traditional art deco that captures the culture of the Amalfi Coast. The views from our room captured both the sea and center. The view was spectaculor. I can't wait to return. This hotel exceeded my expectations. Ignore the previous reviews that it was terrible. I spoke to many guests there most from the US and EUR and all were very impressed and happy. You will not regret it. Don't think twice about staying here. You will have an experience of a lifetime.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Positano
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2009

I am currently at hotel villa Franca and the family that run it are very nasty and loud obnoxious. People. They are rude and yell at their staff all day. The staff and guest are treated as slaves and cows.

The pictues make it look better than it really is.

I picked the place becUse it had a pool but there are better places to stay...

I definately won't come back

the owner old lady and owner daughter and husband are nasty petty loud people

actually all the Americans I have seen have been polite and quite shy .

It's not load Americans but loud nasty, petty Italians...

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
WLA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2009

The worst hotel i have ever been. The service was below standard indeed. Whatever we asked them to do or help we had to go down to reception to show them in order they understand what we needed. They didn't have enouph staff to serve the clients.
Internet connection was bad and expensive. Moreover we could not use it in the room although they claimed we might. Breakfast was disappointing. We had a tour to Pompeii and had to be picked up from the hotel at 7.15 am. We asked them to deliver our breakfast to our room. They refused to do it saying that their breakfast starts at 7.30pm and the kitchen is closed but some coffee might be possible to organise ( only coffee ). We went to the breakfast area in hope to get coffee. They gave us coffee. Very shortly the guy who worked in the kitchen came and opened the "food" room. We asked him " can we have come cookies or fruits because we are leaving to Pompeii" he replied " no, the breakfast starts at 7.30am". How terrible it is, isn't it? and we had prepaid for our accomodation and breakfast!!!
The "smartest" case was when we were checking out : Rosa (the daughter of the current owner, who will own the business soon - OMG) insisted us to make payment for room, breakfast, drinks in the bar (that we didn't have). And she didn't want even to listen to our announcement that we had prepayment!!!! Rosa's kids were always crying in the lobby and she was shouting on them constantly. The hotel were chosen only because of its pool that had a cold water ever.... Design of the room were ridiculous. and old....
I would never ever go to Villa Franca.... waste of money..... and only negative impressions......

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
los angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2009

My husband and I stayed here on our honeymoon, having never been to Positano, and knowing nothing other than what I had seen in the movie "It Had To Be You" (Marisa Tomei, Robert Downey Jr - crappy, but great Positano views). It was simply put SPECTACULAR. We still talk about it every time someone mentions Italy, and here's why.

To counter one of the rare reviewers who had an opposite experience, we have to second every other reviewer who has commented on the personal attention. It's TRUE. We had the most personal, attentive service and encountered amazing staff and friendly, excited guests the entire time. And we've traveled the world as a couple, before and since our honeymoon. At Villa Franca breakfast is glorious (we still talk about the fresh Blood Red Orange Juice), on an open air ocean view terrace, and the staff could not be more accommodating. Brits, Americans, and - the ultimate compliment - fellow Italians all agreed daily as we dined each morning. Even if we woke up late, they'd serve us with a wink and a smile. We ended up meeting multiple guests who said the same, and several of us met in the bar for nightly drinks just for fun. If the attitude of this hotel doesn't seem positive, it isn't tthem - it's gotta be you.

But here's the PROOF. Upon checking in to the hotel the Concierge asked us if we'd made reservations at a very tiny, very famous restaurant, DONA ROSA. (Jamie Oliver, the "Naked Chef," went there on HIS honeymoon. It's phenomenal) We didn't - we'd never even heard of it. (turns out it's a destination dining experience) Two nights later, following a very late night (they always let us in with a smile, no matter how late) and a big, exhausting wedding, my husband and I have a spat. It was small, it was minor, but the look on my husband's face must have said it all: Uh oh. The Concierge, without even being ASKED (this is key - and true), immediately called up Dona Rosa and got us the LAST reservation, at 9:00 THAT night. He got my husband directions, held the door for me with a smile, and rescued the "American honeymooners" with the most amazing, incredible meal that we had the entire trip. (we've been throughout Italy multiple times before and since, and this is the meal we still talk about). We literally have given this restaurant dinner as a GIFT to two other honeymooning couples since. And we've recommended that THEY stay at Villa Franca, which both did, and they all agreed it was heaven.

The rooms are amazing (clean and spacious), the beautiful tiled headboards/bathrooms pretty, and the view from the pool the best in Positano. But the SERVICE - and the personal touches of the staff are what stick in our minds to this very day. They literally made our honeymoon with their simple, kind gestures, and it's a memory we'll never forget.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Villa Franca? Share your experiences!