“Gorgeous setting! Oh but the food???” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Orinda
“Gorgeous setting! Oh but the food???”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

We came here to experience fine dining and romance. With the music playing under a canopy of trees e romance was there. The service was excellent but the FOOD? I ordered eggplant parmesan and zucchini stuffed blossoms which I had at other Positano restaurants. It came out Luke warm so I politely asked if they could make both hotter. It came back the same temperature. Both were overlooked and uninspiring. The lemon seafood risotto was tasteless though upon request it came out very hot. It was a very disappointing experience, would not recommend.

• 1 of 5 stars Food

• Korean first
  • Turkish first
“One for special ocasions”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

We want las week to Al Palazzo for dinner and thought is was a delightful experience. It was a combination of a beautiful and quiet setting with very good food.
Unlike many near-by places which have very loud music this one ddid not have any, and although i generally prefer some soft music for dinner, this time i did not miss it.
The restaurant is in a terrrace, which although with no sea sight looks stunning at night as it has a lot of vegetation and beatifull lightning.
The food that we had was very good, specially the rissotto with lemon and fresh fish (it had 3 types of sea food including some king prawns that miraculously melted in the mouth) and a chocolate dessert.
The wine list is very complete, but we went for the house wine as one of os wanted red and the other white, and both were much above an average house wine, delicious.
The bread basket was very nice as well.
Service wise we were very pleased, it is true that it may feel a bit slow, but I though it is part of creating the enviornment of relax and luxure, they give you enough time for you not to rush between dishes.
We had only 1 main each, one dessert between the 2 and 1 glass of wine each and we paid 70 Euros, which, for the quality of food and place seemed to me worth it, considered I had paid the same for a very touristy-average food the previous day.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Wah-wah”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I had higher expectations for this restaurant but when we entered with no reservations on a night forecasted to downpour, we were hesitantly welcomed to sit in the uncovered section by the silverware table. Because the special tonight was "fresh tuna," Chef Mario kicked off the meal by serving a cold, greasy tuna meatball swimming in at least four bites of zucchini purée that was comprised of chunks of tomato, red pepper and capers. Now, I know my Top Chef and an amuse bouche is a small bite size glimpse of how the chef approaches his food in the kitchen while offering a preview for what is about to come.

Ugh, I immediately felt "entree-ordering remorse." I had ordered the fresh pasta with tuna. Pasta that was beyond al dente (I needed a knife to cut through the large tubes) with chunks of tuna that had been cooked beyond recognition. The sauce however was a light tomato and caper inspired sauce that somewhat mirrored the amuse nightmare. Eating a fried piece of tree bark seemed more enticing than sawing through the tuna rocks and tubes of cardboard. I'm not one to send back meals, so I ate the tomatoes and capers and tried to spread the food around my plate (as I often did when my mother cooked). My husband happily scarfed down his perfectly cooked beautiful cut of steak. Food envy from me? Never! I should mention that the eggplant Parmesan appetizer was quite incredible with perfect slivers of eggplant and a beautiful spread of tomato sauce and cheese that made my husband and I fight over whose side was whose.

The hubby's dessert did not let me down. It was a pie crust with rich nougate and sweet honey gelato with almond mixed in. Creative, precise and on point with texture, flavor and delivery. The server did comp me the dessert because he observed that I didn't care for notice that I didn't care for food that would end up in Oscar's bowl.

Wham bam, never again Chef Mario. I understand why your culinary efforts have you considered for a Michelin star but never awarded one. C'est la vie!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Campinas, SP
“Good upscale restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

It's one of the many upscale restaurants in Positano, and this is a typical one. Nice and romantic atmosphere, tables at the backyard under the trees, very attentive staff, nice food and extensive winelist. But, as expected, prices are high. Good choice if you want to spend some money.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Scotland
“Our special nights in Positano”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

My wife and I have been to Positano many times but never paid attention to this restaurant until this year! How we wish we found it before! It is simply beautiful. We went here a few times during our stay and we couldn't have asked for better food, service and atmosphere.

Once you walk into the restaurant you already have such a great sense of atmosphere, the tables are all made out nicely and the place is candle lit.
On every single occasion we found the food delicious, the best quality in Positano.

Our experience was made extra magical by our waiter Arturo. We managed to find him every night we ate here except for the last night. (I can honestly say he made a big difference to our experience and we were frustrated with the service from the other waiters on our last night). If you decide to eat here, Ask for Arturo and you will not be disappointed. Arturo suggested the best wines to go with our dinner and we were never let down! Experienced and professional.

We will look forward to visiting having a beautiful dinner here again.

• Visited July 2012