“Best meal we had in Positano hands down” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #37 of 73 Restaurants in Positano
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
New York City, New York
“Best meal we had in Positano hands down”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

My wife and I had been avoiding this place despite it being within a stones throw of our hotel because it was always crowded, had a band out front every night and just seemed like one of those tourist traps.

Today was our last day here and on whim we decided to have lunch at the place -- it was quiet only a handful of tables and we wanted to be close to the hotel so we said why not.

First course: Caprese -- Mozarella and Tomatoes with a sprinkling of rocket for color. First the ingredients are incredible -- I hate fresh tomatoes -- these tomatoes were juicy and firm and a gorgeous red color with a flavor i have never experienced before. The Rocket had this incredible peppery flavor that most people have never experienced. Fresh rocket is supposed to taste like that not the watered down version we are all used to having.

Second courses:

Ravioli stuffed with Pumpkin and Seafood hanging out in a mountain of seafood -- incredibly flavorful. I would have never put pumpkin and shrimp together but lets just say the flavors work well together -- very well. On the plate with the Ravioli are a generous helping of mussels and clams to boot. Very fresh, lovely and flavorful.

Grilled Squid -- the helping was quite large with 3 moderately sized squid appearing on my plate - they were grilled perfectly and had such intense grilled flavor...I wonder how I will replicate this on my own grill.

The dessert menu is not extensive but the desserts are fabulous.

The waitstaff (seemed like the family) were incredibly attentive, always came to the table with a smile and took care of everything we asked for and checked back often. All it took was a quick bit of eye contact and they would come swinging through and see if there was anything we needed.

Fantastic meal -- I don't know how to move them up in the ranking but they should be in the top 10 easily. We ate at number 4 so we know what top 10 should taste/feel like and this is it.

They seem to have a small kitchen -- if you want a fast meal then don't go to a small family run place. Italy is about enjoying the food, the wine and the relaxed meal -- we took 1.5 hours to have our lunch and we wouldn't have done it any other way.

• Visited September 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Durban, South Africa
“Bellisimo!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

Absolutely outstanding!!! Food was simple and fresh. All ingredients were seasonal and fresh. You have to try the seafood. Best food on our trip thus far. Views are majestic. Will definitely be back

nyc
“A Great lunch Had by all”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

My family and I traveled to Positano From NYC last week. After a grueling flight and car ride to Positano we were ready for lunch or was it Breakfast who could figure out what meal it should have been . We walked down the hill and stopped at the first restaurant we came to. To my surprise Il Fornillo was on my list of restaurants I had circled from my research on Tripadvisor.
My wife explained to the owner that I have some dietary issues and we left the rest up to her to pick out the house specialties.
Well, the food was just great,the service could not have been any better and did I mention the unbelievable view from our table over looking the water.
This family of five would highly recommend this restaurant.

Charlotte, North Carolina
“Il Fornillo, Positano | What a GREAT find!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

On the way into Positano, our driver (who was from Sorrento), told us about Il Fornillo! I could hug him! We went for lunch, dinner, dinner and lunch! Needless to say, we LOVED the food...the pizza was the best in the city....the bolognese was the best in the region...and the pasta dishes with various seafood options were yummy! The service was very good and the prices were also good!!! It is worth the walk or bus ride (Positano-Internal). The view from the restaurant is very romantic too! Enjoy!!!

Santa Cruz, California
“Best food good price!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We happened to be there on Thanksgiving and had a wonderful dinner of seafood pasta. We are used to having the traditional turkey for thanksgiving so this was a true Italian treat! It was absolutely delicious! The atmosphere was great as well as the service we received. If you are lucky enough to be in Positano don't miss this place.

• Visited November 2012