We were driving through La Spezia and on a whim decided to go to Porto Venere for lunch. We found this place on trip advisor and after reading some reviews decided to give it a chance. I cannot emphasize enough that THIS IS THE PLACE TO GO. We ate at many places on our trip and this stands out by far as the best restaurant. Here are the reasons why:
1. The Staff: It was literally pouring rain and they greeted us at the door to help us manage our umbrellas, and general wetness. As we dined, we saw them be polite and continually accommodating to an Italian family that literally switched tables 3 times on them. The hostess came over personally to chat with us and we promised her that we would write a review because we were so touched by their warm kindness and attention to detail.
2. Ambiance: The attention to detail is incredible. The soothing colors, the comfort of the layout in a small space, the ability to watch the chefs prepare food.
3. The Food: We ordered the menu of the day which included a peso dish (the best we had had) and steamed mussels. Followed by a delicious chocolate cream mouse. Again, the presentation and attention to detail was remarkable-- even the small spoon to eat the desert was cute and unique. Also-- be sure to order the Farinata. We did so because of other reviews and loved it!!! We had both original and the one with sausage.
4. We paid by credit card and couldn't believe our bill-- less than 30 a person for wine, 2 courses plus farinata and desert. Please note that service is NOT INCLUDED and we forgot to tip and decided to go back and give a tip because of how kind and hospitable they had been to us.
5. This is an ideal place for a lunch or dinner-- right on the water with a great view of the harbor. Don't eat anywhere else. You will be happy you came.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.