“terrible” 1 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Localita Sbarcatello, 58019 Porto Ercole, Italy   |
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Porto Ercole
“terrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012 via mobile

in the morning we found out that all our things in bathroom were covered by insects. imagine how cool is to pay €1700(with restaurant) for one night stay and see hundred of ants on you toothbrush. we had to clean teeth in public bathroom. manager couldn't provide another room. he promised to clean the bathroom immideately, but when we came back insects were still there. yes, they gave adjustment (€350). but still, €1200 for such a terrible experience sounds like a joke.

• Stayed August 2012
Pellicano_Hotels, Direttore generale at Hotel Il Pellicano, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Guest,

many thanks for your kind review and the time you dedicated to gave us a very useful feed back.
I apologize for the trouble you experienced during your one night stay with us. Last summer due to the dry summer season we have had frequently difficulties with ants, especially for an hotel as Il Pellicano full dipped in the Maremma countryside. Thankfully this type of animal is not dangerous for the Human.
The Staff was involved to help in any occasion the guests and any time we had the opportunity we offer alternative solutions. In your particularly occasion, having the Property fully booked it was not possible to offer you a different room. The Front Office Manager provided to discount the room price (€ 775;00) for € 350,00, more or less the 50%. The fact occured in the morning of the departure day, except the extras for the restaurant and other services in the bill, I totally agree with the Front Office Manager who personally toke the decision and made an appreciable gesture of apologise.
Once again thank you very much for having in evidence this accident, believe me Il Pellicano is something else too, something you probably missed due to the short stay.
Be so kind and give us a second chance in the future.
With my very best regards

Danilo Guerrini

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Moscow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

The hotel itself bears a certain mood; a touch of luxury in the way of late 60ies. However, it does not mean that the facility looks old; the technical condition of the rooms and public areas is excellent. The traditional for the rocky coast beach is actually a platform, so you should not expect to see a sandy coastline there. However, it is well equipped and spacious. Food is good in both restaurants; specially the formal deserves the attention.
The rooms in the hillside villas have spectacular seaviews, but they are a little too distant from the sea and the main facilities. However, it is just a good reason to move around a bit...
So, as a closed ecosystem the hotel is a pleasant point to stay in.
The disadvantage of the place is the distant location from any other point; don't expect that living in the hotel you can make 1 day car trips to any worth visiting place. Don't be misleaded by the fact that the hotel is located in Tuscany; it is not that beautiful part of Tuscany as you can find around Siena or Florence... So, in my opinion, one of the good applications of this place is to be a good relaxing point to stay for 2-3 days on the way from Tuscany to Rome... And relax in this remote place which combines fine nature and properties.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Pellicano_Hotels, Direttore generale at Hotel Il Pellicano, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Dear Guest,

many thanks for your kind review. I really appreciate your balanced description about the Property and the surrounding area of Maremma.
It's correct the title, A place with a spirit and a philosopy. A gem in the hearth of Maremma.
Maremma is not Florence or Siena is simply Maremma, the wild natural area wher each person is able to discover and appreciate the value of the Nature. We take care of our kind guests with total relax, fragrances and good food.
At the pleasure to welcome you back, many thanks!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012 via mobile

We were very excited to return to Il Pellicano, remembering our stay as very special. We returned this summer to great disappointment. The view is still spectacular but the hotel needs to be renovated. The lobby is worn looking. We remembered a great buffet lunch. They do not have the buffet any longer and the food in the Michelin rated restaurant is just adequate. The hotel, food and service definitely does not deserve 5 stars!

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Pellicano_Hotels, Direttore generale at Hotel Il Pellicano, responded to this review, August 26, 2012
Dear Guest,

many thanks for your time and attention with this review.
I'm sorry your experience at Il Pellicano this year didn't meet your satisfaction. I personally take very good notes from your comments and with the Staff we will make any efforts to improve the quality of all our services.
About the buffet lunch, after years we have decided to change offering the guests a better choice of typical tuscany food with a menù and the success of the Pelligrill this season with the guests meet our full satisfaction. For next year we are already studying some news, I personally invite you to visit us once again and test a second time both restaurants, I'm sure you will be surprise.
About the lobby many thanks for your suggestion, it will be one of the future project for our Design Office.
I really hope to welcome you back, I remain at your complete disposal for any other question.
Best regards

Siena, Toscana, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

This was the fourth time I have stayed in this hotel and may well be the last. The service has tended to be patchy in the past but this time it really started to annoy me. Having recently been in another famous Italian hotel (rooms cheaper, even more stunning location) where the service was utterly stunning, I don't think I want to sample Il Pellicano again.

When we booked two rooms we specified twin beds in the second room. The hotel even emailed us to check that we didn't mean to smuggle in young children (ours are 16 and 20), so the request for twin beds was confirmed a second time. When we arrived the rooms were not ready and reception said they would come and find us when they were available, which they didn't do. About 3.30pm we went and asked and my sons were taken to their room, which was made up as a double bed. They told us it would be re-made up as twins. When the boys went to bed at midnight, it was still a double. They were tired and made the best of it. For 965 euros, remember.

My other pet hate is the service in the restaurants. We were forever trying to catch the eye of one of the numerous waiters, who steadfastly look the other way and do not ask you if you want an aperitif, are ready to order, if everything is ok, would like coffee, the bill etc. It happens both at lunch and at dinner and in both restaurants. There are plenty of staff, but they are either poorly trained or don't care. As for remembering your name, forget it.

The pool area and beach are like being in a cheap package holiday hotel. Towels and random personal items claim the prime sea-view sunbeds, always unoccupied but not available to other guests.

And then waiting half an hour to have our car brought from the garage, and my husband having to go into the 'deposito' to get our luggage, rather than wait even longer for someone to get it for us. No wonder I heard so many shrill American voices during our stay. it was the only way to get anything done.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Pellicano_Hotels, Direttore generale at Hotel Il Pellicano, responded to this review, August 19, 2012
Dear Mrs Caterina di Siena,

first of all many thanks for the time you dedicated to this review and my personal appreciation for the precious notes you wrote for the readers.
Every single note is an arrow for our professionalism, a point of deep analysis between me and my Staff to improve each single moment of our day, paying more attention to small particulars that made the difference. From the Reception, throught the Beach, arriving at the Restaurant all the Staff is committed to offer our guests the best experience as possible and sometimes we miss our duty. We have to do better!
Just two small specific. About the twin bed, a nice attention to the guest, leaving the assignment for the two rooms between parents and sons on arrival to permit to have the best confort has been a boomerang because we forgot to separate the bed in the evening. At the restaurant the attention of all the Staff not to create the sense of pressure to the guest, has been probably excessive and your feeling was very negative. For sure we have to improve our aptitude at the single small particulars, attention to the guest's care included.
Your contribution is very important, I had a lesson from this review, for that once again, my personal thanks!
I really hope to welcome you back soon at the hotel and have the pleasure to exchange live your impression.
Best regards

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

We stayed for 2 nights in May and truly loved the location and accommodations. We had picked the place because we were looking for a WOW place...which this IS and they have a 2 star Michelin restaurant. You feel like you're driving to the end of the world since the resort is tucked in its only little corner of the island overlooking the Italian Riviera. The rooms are beautiful with charming balconies facing ocean. You are surrounded by one spectacular photo moment everywhere you turn! As I said, we stayed for 2 nights and had every intention of eating at their restaurant both nights. So, it came as a major surprise that our first night dinner was very sub-par! We have eaten are way around Europe at over 70 Michelin restaurants and this was no Michelin!! All the dishes were a bit odd and not so tasty.. like the Michelin chef was on vacation... or having dinner someplace else. Service was fine however. We stopped eating all of dishes after tasting them. So, after spending over $400 on dinner we cancelled our reservation for the following night and ordered room service which came from the other kitchen on the property which turned out to be much better than the 2 star Michelin downstairs. Odd.

Room Tip: All the rooms seemed to have ocean views with balconies
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Pellicano_Hotels, Direttore generale at Hotel Il Pellicano, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Dear Ms Samantha,

many thanks for your kind review and the time you have dedicated to us.
You describe the location in a perfect way, Il Pellicano is really at the end of the world but totally dipped in the wild nature of the Argentario Peninsula.
I really appreciate your observation about the food quality, an invitation to improve our attention in each single action we realize for our guests. The strange think is that the room service is prepared in the Gourmet Kitchen where normally we found the guests appreciation. I really hope you will decide to spend another stay with us offering me the opportunity to invite you for a dinner together, it's a challenge for the Grand Chef, he will have the opportunity to convince you about the real quality of food, actually is one of the most successful service we offer the guest.
At the pleasure to welcome you back

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

After a full on itinerary in the north of Italy we stopped here and really relaxed for a few days. It is not a lavish resort but it has that elegant simplicity that the Italians do so well. At first I was disappointed that our room was not in the main building which I think I requested but our room, located back behind the tennis court, was lovely with ancient olive trees in our own grassy and very private courtyard. The bathroom was large with a bath that accommodated two people. We went to both restaurants and the food and service were beyond compare. Breakfast on the terrace was also excellent looking out over the Mediterranean. In my opinion every hotel in Europe should send their staff here for lessons on how to do Customer Service. It is painful writing this review - I just want to go back there.

Room Tip: If you want privacy and peace and quiet I recommend not staying in the main building. You see the be...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Pellicano_Hotels, Direttore generale at Hotel Il Pellicano, responded to this review, July 29, 2012
Dear Mr Sam and Mrs Louise,

just a simple message for both of you. THANK YOU AND WE MISS YOU.
The Pellicano Staff and me, we are very proud for your review. You confirm us that frequently the first impression after a long journey can be changed in a bit just introducing the guests in the Pellicano's atmosphere and experience.
My personal thanks for the phrase about the customer service, a positive note that put in evidence the daily efforts and training organized indoor with only one target: give the best and excellent service for a magic holiday away from home, having the impression to be at home.
We only wait the pleasure to welcome you back.

Best

Argentina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

We had been hearing so many rave reviews of this hotel that we were a bit disappointed on our recent 3 night stay here.

First impressions are very important and our first impression was not good - after being let in through the gates and finding the reception following the sign, we arrived to where the sign said "Reception" but there was no one outside greeting us - my husband had to start opening doors until he came upon an office where a meeting was taking place and one of the managers ? led us to the reception door which is hidden from view, behind a column. So, our reception was definitely not good.

By contrast, I distinctly remember our arrival at the Chewton Glen hotel in the south of England more than 20 years ago, where we were greeted by name by five staff members !!!

When booking the room I had specifically asked for a room on the main building as I have had 4 surgeries recently and cannot go walking up and down all day long. Apparently, the Relais & Chateaux office ommitted telling this to the hotel and we were asigned to room 12 one flight up from reception.

The room is comfortable, with a large terrace which is not private, it is shared with another room - so we did not use it at all. A terrible waste. The bathroom is very nice and the room is ample but nothing to rave about, not luxurious at all, indeed quite simple in its furnishings. The furniture is not at all chic and not at all what would have been expected at the rates we were paying (E. 965.- per night) !

After unpacking, we went down to the pool - literally 4 flights of stairs from our room and for me, quite a dangerous experience as most of the stairs leading to the póol do not have handrails !!! Upon arrival at the pool, as tired as we were and wanting to relax after our long drive, there were 5 children in the pool, screaming, jumping into the water, etc. I know this is not the hotel´s fault, but it is unbelievable - one of the 5 "C"s that Relais & Chateaux is noted for is "calm", and there certaingly was no calm at the pool. My husband had to tell the pool attendant and he addressed the parents then. In our opinion, the hotel should not admit children. At the rates we were paying, we expected peace and quiet !!

Our daily rate for the room and breakfast was Euro 965.- plus taxes, quite outrageous, though the contents of the minibar are for free. They leave a bottle of mineral water at turndown but not a single sweet or chocolate.

By the way, there was an elevator in the building and rooms that could be accessed using the elevator and not having to walk up another flight of stairs !!

While at the pool, you have to walk down another flight of stairs to use the restroom- incredible ! from this level you can take an elevator to go down to the sea but there is no beach - just a two level terrace. Out of bounds for me as the only way to enjoy the sea is by going down a ladder. So we spent our days at the pool.

While at the pool you might expect some kind of service (as is the case with other Relais & Chateaux where we have stayed), such as iced grapes, cold lemonade, cool towels ... this was not the case when we were there.

The restaurant closest to the pool is very good - we had lunch there every day and dinner twice. We had dinner once at the gourment 2 Michelin star restaurant but did not like the food offered and indeed found it hard to choose something to order, our fault, as we do not like seafood or oysters, or foie gras and the like. We ended up having triglie and chicken, nothing to rave about. Since I speak Italian and my husband doesn´t, when the maitre was taking our oder I let him kow that we had had trouble ordering and he suggested we go to their other restaurant with simpler food!!! I found this comment completely disrespectfull. We are not peasants who do not know how to eat !!! We simply do not like liver or seafood, we like well prepared foods of excellent quality.

The pianist is quite good and we liked the musice he played, and he sang very well also. Very pleasant having a drink or coffee listening to this gentleman´s music.

So, all in all, we did not have a good experience. On every trip we take we stay in at least one or two Relais & Chateaux. We have never been disappointed with the different hotels, but this is not the case with Il Pellicano. Although the grounds are beautiful, the views are amazing, the hotel was a disappointment.and we doubt that we´ll ever return.

Room Tip: If you have any kind of physical disability, stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

many thanks for this review. I really appreciate your trasparency and honesty sharing with all the readers your experience at Il Pellicano.
I wish to thank you once again for the value of these suggestions, this review must be a milestone for me and all my Staff for the next future, daily we learn by experience somenthing new to improve the small attentions to our guests.
The arrival, the moment at the Restaurant are single example of missing attention at the small particulars that make the difference. Thankfully these accidents are not ordinary, are exceptional situation where the Staff, involved in other situation or been human are able to make mistakes. I take the full responsability for that and I apologize, but believe me, the Pellicano's Staff is able to do better as you can see from other reviews.
Just some more answers to your evidences.

1 Relais & Chateaux Office confirm us the request of a room on the main building without other special request. Your room 15 was on the main building
2 Due to the particulary location (a wild steep rocky area in a Natural reserve) the construction is obliged to have steps or lift in each area. I understand that is not accessible for all the potential guests, for this reason on our internet web site and all the form we post for the confirmation we put in evindence the particular location of the property and we prefer to accept children only over 10 year old. We have to pay more attention with our small guests respecting the calm for all the guests, but children are the future and we love to invest in our future.
3 Taxes - I understand your opinion about the room price, I personally respect your opinion, I only with to specify that taxes are included.

I personally invite you to have a second experience in the future and have a better idea of Il Pellicano, if the second experience will be the same, it will be the confirmation for you that I'm not a good Manager and I'm not able to take good lessons from this review.

At the pleasure to meet you in the future, with my personal admiration I send you my very best regards

Danilo Guerrini

Been to Hotel Il Pellicano? Share your experiences!