“Great Resort Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Via Acquedotto Leopoldino, 58018 Porto Ercole, Italy   |
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Porto Ercole
“Great Resort Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

This was a 60th Birthday treat for my wife and we both had a very relaxed holiday enjoying the facilities, the setting, the food and flora and fauna. the golf course provided great walks even though neither of us play but it looked fantastic.
The menu was varied and very healthy although I thought the deserts were disappointing apart from the crème brule. The spa facilities were excellent as were the treatments we experienced, very relaxing and restful.
the staff were very helpful and whilst we had the half board we found that we needed little for lunch.
well worth a visit!!

Room Tip: Had a Superior room which was very well appointed. All rooms had their own private patios and the as...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

I guess first of all we were really happy with the location, we hadn't googled it before as we thought a short bus ride would be worthwile as the hotel looked so promising but when we got there wow! Its right in Maremma! The welcome was special and made us feel at home right away and my wife was really impressed with the big room and sea view terrace. She convinced me into trying the spa with her and it was fantastic! I have never experienced something like this before and the staff are so friendly and professional..we could have dined in town but the hotels restaurant was awesome and the cuisine so good ( mostly local dishes ) that we stayed in most nights finishing our days off with a walk on the beach i have to say this place is a great destination and we loved it, thank you Hotel ...

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view, reception staff is great and willing to upgrade you if special occasion
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Bangkok
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

This hotel has beautiful surroundings and an excellent golf course! If you are into Golf and wine stay here...! I would like the hotel mgmt to check the AC's in the rooms as they were very poor. Also the pool was being painted during our visit and that would have been nice to know in advance. Other than this a good hotel in beautiful surroundings... A bit over priced in my opinion though...golf course was excellent and my rating goes up thanks to this. Well maintained and very challenging mountain course! Worth every Euro they charge here!

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this resort for a week in May 2013, primarily with a view to playing golf. I hope the following helps others when deciding whether to visit this spot for a holiday.

The Hotel

Architecturally the hotel is of a very contemporary design, and furnished in an equally modern way. The front of the hotel is not particularly inspiring, facing a large covered car park, but the back of the hotel, which overlooks the eighteenth hole of the golf course, is very interesting on the eye, blending in superbly with the surrounding wooded countryside.

We were offered a room upgrade on our arrival for which we would like to thank the hotel. Our room was extremely comfortable and quite spacious for a hotel room, and the bathroom large and well maintained. We also had a deck that overlooked the surrounding wooded hills. I can imagine sitting out there on a hot Summer night watching the world go by.

The staff throughout the hotel were all incredibly helpful and friendly. I would particularly like to thank David for looking after me so well at the bar and for introducing my wife to the Spritz. The Spritz is a wine-based cocktail prepared with Prosecco wine and a dash of some bitter liqueur such as Aperol or Campari, commonly served as an aperitif in northern Italy. As my wife has developed a liking for this drink, I am grateful for the fact that it’s made with Prosecco and not Champagne.

The WiFi system deserves a mention. Many hotels advertise free WiFi and then don’t deploy the infrastructure required to provide an adequate service. The Argentario service was superb thanks to the many Netgear repeaters deployed throughout the hotel.

One quibble concerns the room towels. Towels were changed twice daily. I personally see this as a bit of overkill, even at a five star hotel. However if you are going to wash towels so regularly, you need to provision for their earlier replacement as some of the towels we received were decidedly on the thin size. My recommendation to the hotel would be to review their towel washing policy thereby conserving energy and reducing the need to replace thinning towels.

There were from time to time some odd smells in the air when standing outside the hotel. I couldn’t really tell whether these smells derived from the nearby lagoons or from some sort of treatment plant some 200-300 metres from the hotel’s entrance. I did wonder whether these smells might be exacerbated in hotter months and was therefore thankful for the cooler and windier conditions that we experienced in the week we stayed.

The Spa

The hotel was very quiet the week we stayed so it was a little surprising that spa treatments couldn’t be arranged on the day. I suppose this could be accounted for by non-hotel residents using the spa facilities. Nevertheless booking some days in advance is advisable.

Whilst we can’t comment on the treatments, the Spa itself was very polished and the staff friendly. The inside pool was fun to swim in although perhaps a little colder than one would have expected for an inside pool, and the poolside atmosphere very relaxing. The steam room, sauna and gym were also of a good standard for a resort hotel.

The Restaurant

The weather was a little unsettled the week we were there and the evenings a little cooler than we were expecting. We were therefore not as inclined to explore alternative restaurants as we might have been had the temperatures been a little more balmy. However our decision to eat all of our meals in the hotel’s restaurant (the DamaDama) was primarily influenced by the quality of the kitchen and the ambience of the restaurant itself.

If you enjoy nouvelle cuisine, then you will love this restaurant. First courses and main courses were in the ranges €12-€18 and €20-€25 respectively, which whilst not cheap, are fair, especially compared to restaurant prices in or around London. The wine list, which features many fine local wines, has a much wider variation in price, but we never felt pressured into drinking from the more expensive end of the list. We drank some wonderful wines for prices ranging from €25 to €35 per bottle.

My wife is a member of a dining club consisting of girlfriends. Every 6 months for the last 10 years they have been dining at some of the most fashionable (and expensive) restaurants in southern England. Comparison between restaurants can be difficult as so many different things contribute to an enjoyable dining experience, but from a food quality and presentation perspective, my wife thought that the DamaDama compared very favourably with the best restaurants she had experienced in England.

The Golf Facilities

The golf course is very picturesque with wonderful views of trees and water. Moreover, each hole is unique so we never tired of playing the course, even though we played five times in total. At just under 6,000 metres off the yellows and with very strong winds for much of the time we were there, it was also very challenging. The greens are incredibly even and not as lightning quick as some continental golf courses I have played on, a combination that my shaky putting action found more than acceptable.

The hotel monitors this site so I offer the following in the hope that other peoples’ experiences might be better.

As noted above, the hotel was quiet in the week we stayed, and generally the course was quite quiet as well. We played however on a day when there a pro-am. This slowed play up on the course immensely. We were not particularly inconvenienced. We played the back nine first in about 2 hours and then played the front nine in about 3 hours (as we caught up with the back end of the tournament).

We had been joined at the start of the second nine by a lovely golf mad German called Karl. When we finished our round at the ninth hole, Karl continued on to do the back nine. We bumped into Karl in the car park several hours after we had last seen him. He told us that he only had been able to reach the fourteenth hole. 6 hours to play fourteen holes!!

Karl had travelled two hours by car to play a not inexpensive course. A lack of effective on-course marshalling had ruined this man’s experience and may well have impacted on hotel guests as well that day. The hotel might try to argue that this was a one-off but we spoke to an Englishman who lives on the island and is a member of the club, and he remarked that 6-7 hour rounds were not uncommon. Slow play happens, but an unwillingness to pick your ball up when you are out of hole when playing Stableford, or to give up looking for a lost ball, only serve to compound the problem.

The hotel needs to police slow play better and also cut down the grass around the greens and along the sides of the fairways. On a resort course, you should not have to spend 5 minutes looking for a ball if you are inches off a green or fairway. The ability of a ball to completely disappear in 6 inches of dense grass has a measurable detrimental impact on the speed of play.

I was also surprised by the amount of maintenance that happened over the weekend. If you intend to play a course 5 times over a week, you know that you will encounter a green keeper or two, but I would expect maintenance to be scaled back at the weekend to not slow play down on what you would expect to be the busiest days of the week.

The Surrounding Area

Orbetello, Porto Santo Stefano and Porto Ercole are all just a few minutes’ drive from the hotel. We didn’t really experience Orbetello (other than to drive through it to cross the lagoon to the hotel), and were not overwhelmed by Porto Santo Stefano and Porto Ercole. Nothing particularly wrong with either but I have been to more picturesque and interesting ports/marinas.

We spent one day touring in the car, visiting the medieval towns of Manciano and Pitigiano, and the hot springs at Saturnia. The countryside is delightful and driving was a real pleasure. We should really have spent more time sight-seeing as there were so many more places I would have liked to have visited, particularly the Maremma Nature Park.

Conclusions

We didn’t necessarily experience the resort at its best given the weather but our stay was thoroughly enjoyable nonetheless. The resort somehow lacks the wow factor that would bring us back (although I would love to play the golf course again) but that’s primarily because there are so many new places to try rather than any particular failings of the resort itself, but I would have no hesitation in recommending the Argentario Resort Golf and Spa to others.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

The Argentario Golf Club is a ver pretencious and disappointing place in Monte Argentario.

its a big Concrete construction, no charme at all.

very average food and VERY overpriced.
i will never go back.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I spent a long weekend here at the start of May with two friends and I must say how impressed we were with this resort. It's not cheap but it is excellent value for money and you really get what you pay for. Our room was fabulous with all the comforts and the bathroom was a pleasure to use ! The resort offers excellent sport and recreational facilities. I'm not a golf player but my friends were very enthusiastic about the resort's course and played several rounds. The gym is very well equipped with some great modern equipment and there is a fab indoor pool ( i didn't use the outdoor pool because of the weather but it looked very inviting ) . We did try out the spa where I had one of the best massages ever ! We had all our meals in the hotel and I would recommend anyone to do so. The food was fantastic and so was the wine ( again not so cheap ) . The breakfast was my favourite, what a choice ! The staff were all incredibly helpfull and friendly. I will definitely be coming back here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
levanto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I spent four days in this hotel and i must say it's one of the best i've ever seen. what I liked best were the spaces and the location of the hotel as well. My room was large and clean with a large terrace, moreover the food was delicious and the service was excellent. The staff members were extremely gentle, especially the spa's staff. i Had a really good time in the indoor swimming pool chatting with lots of people from all over the world and enjoyed the warm water. The golf court was really well kept and attended by a lot of golf players. i would recommend you to come here for a while and have an amazing time either on your own or with the company of your families.

Bagnasco Francesco

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Been to Argentario Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!