“Beautiful resort in a fabulous setting” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Colonna Resort

Save Saved
You added Colonna Resort to your Saves list
Colonna Resort
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Loc. Cala Granu | PORTO CERVO, 07020 Porto Cervo, Sardinia, Italy   |
Ranked #4 of 20 hotels in Porto Cervo
Santa Barbara
“Beautiful resort in a fabulous setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We were part of a large group staying for one week but were treated as a couple by the staff. Everyone of the staff we met were friendly, helpful and always with a smile. We have already discussed "when can we come back". Due to the somewhat remote nature of the resort, I highly recommend renting a small car, we did and was glad we had the flexibility of going wherever we wanted and whenever we wanted. Food was great, breakfast was plentiful and staff is glad to prepare eggs any way you want them, just ask. Our room was spacious, free wi-fi, comfortable bed and very clean. The pools are the "eye-poppers" as soon as you drive up to the resort. Massive and plentiful. Everyone can find a quiet spot.

Room Tip: Of course, try to get a seaview room with a balcony. You will spend many hours relaxing. Bring volt...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Stefano-Lai, Direttore generale at Colonna Resort, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear Mr. Dennis I,

as Manager of the Colonna Resort,

I say thank you very much for your wonderful review, for choosing our hotel and for dedicate your time to write this fantastic review on your stay in our hotel.

Thank you for the appreciation that you have send to all us, for the services, the staff, location, and for telling us that you will return to us.

For me and all our staff, is always a pleasure to serve you, and be useful to you.

I hope of give you again a most cordial Welcome to Porto Cervo, I remain at Your disposal for any need or request,

202 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Holland, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

The hotel boasts a 5 star rating, top class. Right? Wrong.
The setting is wonderful, the views are stunning, the property is very large.
The room.... the bed was as close to concrete as you can get and still call it a bed, it was on metal slats and it felt like a box spring rather than a mattress, the pillows were foam.. felt like stuff socks in a pillow case and the blankets were like those you remember from camping as a boy. It was all just unacceptable. For a resort this top, you just cant have it. I put 10 blankets under the sheet so we might find some comfort but each night was a bad nights sleep. Asked for feather pillows and a comforter and the hotel staff just looked at us funny and ignored our requests. I asked to speak with the General Manager and the girl at the desk told me she would have him call, no call. They just dont care. For breakfast the buffet was nice overall, the Italians just dont know how to make bacon and eggs. The bacon was barely cooked dripping in grease, it should have been crispy, the eggs were very wet and runny., So we stuck with the other items on the menu. The workout room was 1950's very little weights and cardio. Also we asked for ice daily, they wanted to actually charge us 8 euro to bring to the room, so we had to pick it up at the bar every day and some days the ice machine was not working. Loved the beach and water although it was very small, the decks were very nice.
Isolated location, so I rented a car to get around,
I think every hotel should have a Great Place to sleep especially when traveling. This is the worst sleeping room I've EVER stayed at and again they dont seem to care.
We were there from 10/4 12 to 10/14/12 at which time they were closing for the season.

Room Tip: I was in 3699, it was very quite at the end of the hall, but a long walk from the elevator. the ba...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

as Manager of the Colonna Resort, I take this opportunity to say thank you for choosing our hotel and for dedicate your time to write this review on your stay in our hotel.

Thank you for the compliments that you have send to the Hotel, the location, setting and the view.
I'm sorry of your complaints about the room, and I'm sorry that you didn't appreciate the work of the housekeeping department, because they were all at your disposal, every day, to try to help you.

For this I remember perfectly you and your stay in our hotel, for this it seems strange that you asked to talk to me, and the receptionist didn't pass the message to me, because we were all to trying to organize a better stay to you, and I wanted to also talk with you to better understand what was your unrest.

However we'll try to using your comments in a constructive way, to try to further improve our services and to better monitor what you reported.

Beverly Hills, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Dear travelers,
this is our second year at the Colonna Resort and the property is just amazing.
The problem with all properties is always to keep up the standards and the COLONNA RESORT goes beyond all expectations. It is truly a very elegant property, the location and views are perfect/amazing. The Manager, Mr Stefano Lai, is a true gentlemen and his passion and love for this property is contagious to all of his wonderful team. There are many properties in Porto Cervo but this in terms of value price/quality is truly the best. We are use to luxury standards living in Beverly Hills and we HIGHLY HIGHLY suggest the COLONNA RESORT for your vacation or even for a corporate event..it can satisfy your every need. We are truly a big Fan and want to say to all the readers....DO NOT LOOK NO FURTHER...BOOK THIS PROPERTY ...YOU WILL FEEL LIKE A TRUE VIP ....ELEGANCE and a true WARM HOSPITALITY...please also go to have a drink at the Bar...Marco the Bar tender is an added value to the property and so is the reception team, the maids...all the ingredients for a PERFECT STAY.

Arrivederci
Pietro

Room Tip: Book yourselves in to a Suite with the amazing views and very spacious
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Stefano-Lai, Direttore generale at Colonna Resort, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Dear Mr. Pietro,

as Manager of the Colonna Resort,

Thank you for the appreciation that You have send to all us.

For me and all our staff, is always a pleasure to serve You, and be useful to You.

This your review is our more great satisfaction, We work every days for hear this from every our guests.

I hope of give You again a most cordial Welcome to Porto Cervo, I remain at Your disposal for any need or request,

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We were due to stay in the Smeraldo Beach Hotel but they moved us to Colonna Resort due to overbooking (I believe they are owned by the same group). My wife is 6 months pregnant so we were looking for a quiet, relaxing holiday. We hired a car and I highly recommend it as taxis / airport transfers are exorbitant and the road from the hotel in to Porto Cervo is pretty dangerous (tight turns and no pavements).

The breakfast is decent enough, it's continental style but scrambled eggs and bacon also available. If anything I'd say they were slightly lacking in variety. Dinner is a set 50 euro, four-course meal (luckily we were half-board so it worked out considerably cheaper) and drinks, including water, are extra. The food was pretty average the first night but seemed to improve after that. Nice variety of dishes and the service was good as well once you got used to how it worked.

The hotel itself and the setting are really nice as you can see from the photos. Free wi-fi is a nice bonus and the views from the balcony were spectacular. Beds are quite firm but not uncomfortable. For some reason they seemed to have kitted out our double room for one person but a quick visit to reception sorted that out and we quickly received an extra pillow, bath robe, etc. On the down side, the maintenance could've been better - one of the curtains was hanging off (which I fixed), one of the lights was missing a bulb, another had a loose wire hanging out and the toilet seat wasn't secured to the toilet. You'd think that having maid's in there twice a day they might pick up on some of these issues and get them sorted!

The pools were great (but really cold), with sunbeds, umbrellas and towels provided. The beach is small and quite rocky but gives good access to the sea and there is also decking with extra beds available (although part of this was cordoned off with unattractive hazard tape where some of the boards had been taken off).

Our only real issue was on the last night when the hotel hosted the Rolex Cup sailing presentation. We were given a warning letter the evening before that explained there would be a private function with music until 1am which was ok, if not ideal for the last night of our stay considering we had to be up early the next morning to fly home. When we got back to our room after dinner they had erected a full-blown stage with lights and speaker system about 20 yards from our balcony. They proceeded to do sound tests until Midnight on the Thursday, followed by a full-blown drunken party which went on until almost 2am on the Friday. Needless to say myself and especially my pregnant wife were somewhat less than impressed.

In summary, the hotel itself is beautiful. However, the management could learn a lot from visiting a few 'proper' 5 star resorts to see how guests expect to be treated! We went to Thailand on our honeymoon at the start of the year and really got treated like royalty from the moment we arrived to the the minute we left. As a 3-4 star this hotel is excellent but as a 5 start I've had to bump it down.

Room Tip: Most rooms have a sea-view. Make sure you check around your room when you arrive and let reception k...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Stefano-Lai, Direttore generale at Colonna Resort, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the appreciation that you have send to the hotel, as

“The hotel itself and the setting are really nice as you can see from the photos”

“. . .The breakfast, restaurant service, wi-fi free connection, the views from the balcony were spectacular, The pools were great . . .“

I'm sorry that you don't consider our hotel worthy of 5 stars, for some problems with maintenance (which usually don't happen), and with the sounds of celebration Rolex, unfortunately, is a party is held only one day in every two years, and usually starts at 9 pm and ends at 1 am, I'm sorry that your room was closer and should have disturbed more.
More others guests prefer this, for enjoy the show, from their terrace.
If you don't want this, if you didn't want this, when you read the letter, if you had asked us, we could change your room.
It is the party, to celebrate the end of races - season in Porto Cervo, that during the summer is part of our fantastic and panoramic view of our Resort.

I take this opportunity to send you my Best Regards.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Just back fom this resort. Fantastic location nice hotel and staff were very friendly. We were upgraded to a seaview room and we had an amazing view. The pools are great but salt water and cold - not ideal with. Beach was nice but on the small side.

Having stayed at various 5* properties around the world, this is definitely not one. Lack of basic amenities in the room, eg no tea/coffee making facilities or iron (not even available on request). You have to pay to have your clothes ironed! Rooms ok but not luxurious at all.

Restaurants are limited and expensive. Only one choice for dinner which will cost you Eur50 pp including children who have to pay Eur25 per child. Buffet lunch isnt much cheaper - Eur40pp. Most hotels allow children under 4 to eat free, but not this one. Next option is room service. The menu is very limited and not ideal and will cost you Eur8 pp to be delivered. They need to offer more choice in food and restaurants or have the shuttle service to take you to Porto Cervo (they do have one but very limited and stops at 6.30pm) where there are more choices. Shuttle service needs to be operated later that 7pm to allow guests more choice. But I guess the hotel would lose out on revenue if guests went elsewhere, therefore unless you have a car or mega rich, you are stuck for food choices!

To prove the hotel is just after your money - they just hosted The Rolex Party for the yacht crews and us guests had to pay Eur70 pp for dinner instead of the usual Eur50 for the privilege! Expect prices to go up even more now after this event.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are great but expect to pay the premium!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the appreciation that you have send to the hotel, as “Fantastic location nice hotel and staff were very friendly. We were upgraded to a seaview room and we had an amazing view. The pools are great . . .Beach was nice “

I'm sorry that you don't consider our hotel worthy of 5 stars, for

- the choose of the restaurant menu (because in addition to the daily menu with price €. 50.00, we have an à la carte menu, with each dish and the individual prices)

- the times of shuttle bus to Porto Cervo center (it isn't absolutely to be customers at the hotel and our restaurant, it is only because it is a courtesy service, with set times, which the other hotels in Porto Cervo don't have),

- the day of Rolex party, the price was € 70,00 instead of €. 50.00, only because it was a buffet and drinks included, while other days not include drinks (this was only to be faster and allow all our guests to enjoy the show that started at 21:00 , the show really great that all our guests have enjoyed a lot, as I imagine also you too).

It is the usual big party, to celebrate the end of races - season in Porto Cervo, that during the summer is part of our fantastic and panoramic view of our Resort.

I take this opportunity to send you my Best Regards.

Dublin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

We are currently staying in the hotel having been moved from 4 star Grand Hotel Smeraldo Beach which is a sister hotel in which we were initially booked. We accepted the move (was apparently due to overbooking) because Colonna is supposedly 5 star although we were a bit concerned with some of the reviews here and also the fact that it's not walking distance to Porto Cervo (one of the big reasons we went with Smeraldo Beach). We are in Room 1705 which has a really nice sea view and is adequately sized.

The location is stunning- really loved the cascading pools (although I agree with others that having some of them heated might be a good thing- the large jacuzzi perhaps?). The private beach is small but lovely and liked the extra loungers on the wooden decking and it's great for a swim. Also like the free wifi and thought there was a good choice at breakfast.

Now some serious negatives. The service at the pools is very poor, as others have commented upon more staff are needed. I didn't like the €30 daily charge for using the indoor heated pool and thermal suite. Although both are excellent- any 5 star hotel should have this service complimentary. A major issue is that although there are 3 restaurants, only one opens in the evening and, as others have commented upon, it only serves a fixed 5 course evening meal for €50 per head. Last night since we had a large lunch en route we asked if we could have one main course each. No problem if we paid the full €50! Personally I find this ridiculous in a supposed 5 star hotel as there are no other dining options available (except room service). Therefore we decided to get a taxi into Porto Cervo for dinner. Reception called one, which arrived within mins and we were in Porto Cervo within 3-4 mins (it's not walking distance as roads are too dangerous). Imagine our disbelief when we were charged €20 by the taxi driver for this trip. I thought this was one scam artist until we were charged the same on the way back. I informed reception and they told me this is the going rate but agreed it is ludicrous. Now the hotel has a shuttle service but it conveniently finishes at 1830- too late for dinner- which leaves one in the position where you either eat in the hotel and are stuck with the €50 deal described above, rent a car (we have one but wished to have a couple of drinks with dinner) or avail of the nice taxi scam artists. Colonna/ITI has a whole bunch of hotels in the area but I got the district impression that this cozy arrangement is working out in everyone besides the customer's interest so no chance of them extending the shuttle service or working with local authorities to sort out the taxis.

The same complaints are appearing time after time here on TripAdvisor but there is a distinct arrogance about the Colonna management (noticeable when you stay) that suggests that short term money making is first and customer experience second. Short term it may be but judging by most of the comments here, there won't be much repeat custom- ourselves included.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Stefano-Lai, Direttore generale at Colonna Resort, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the compliments that you have send to the structure, the hotel, the room, the dimension of the room “really nice sea view and is adequately sized”, the location “The location is stunning”, the wellness & SPA, the beach “lovely”, the pool “really loved the cascading pools”, the dek directly on the beach, for a “good choice at breakfast”.

I'm sorry to read a negative part of Your review, especially because it is directed exclusively to the prices of the extra services. Unfortunately, the taxi prices are independent of the hotel.

If I can afford to give you an advice, you don’t write to us "Management need to wake up", it might seem inelegant, and the reader can think you're wrong to write so.

Best Regards.

Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

We came here for two days of our honeymoon and expected five star. By American standards it isn't. By European standards it is. Service isn't great but the resort is very nice and extremely relaxing. The location is good if you want quiet. Considering the prices in Porto Cervo it is definitely the best option. We would come back again!

Room Tip: Get the lunch buffet! Its 40 euro a person but you get a ton of food and it is fantastic!!!!!?
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Stefano-Lai, Direttore generale at Colonna Resort, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
as Manager of Colonna Resort, 5 *****, I take this opportunity to say thank You for choosing our hotel and taking your time to write a review regarding your stay with us .

W'll try to using your comments in a constructive way, to try to further improve our services and to better monitor what you reported.

We hope of being able to extend a warm welcome back to Porto Cervo, and We remain at your disposal for any need or request,

I take this opportunity to send you My Best Regards.

Colonna Resort, 5*****
Porto Cervo

Been to Colonna Resort? Share your experiences!