“Overpriced and Underwhelming - American's beware!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Colonna Resort

You added Colonna Resort to your Saves list
Colonna Resort
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Loc. Cala Granu | Via Capo Ferro KM 1.8, 07020 Porto Cervo, Sardinia, Italy   |
Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Porto Cervo
Seattle WA
“Overpriced and Underwhelming - American's beware!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

We arrived at our hotel late after we arrived at the Sardinian Port in Olbia after taking a ferry from Civitavechhia. The cost to have a private shuttle was 140 euro each way. I recommend getting your own car if you want to save money - all taxi services are expensive. Although the location of the place was gorgeous - I would have expected more out of the hotel. It was the single most expensive hotel room i have ever willingly purchased (so maybe my expectations were set too high in the beginning), but I assumed with the price you would also get both the service and the amenities. The only value prop beyond the view was the free breakfast. The staff were NOT friendly and some were genuinely rude. The nicest person who was the only one who proactively spoke to me was the bellman who checked me into our room - he should be promoted!! Although we are American, we are world travelers and have spent years in Asia as expats and this hotel may tick all the boxes to be a 5 star hotel, I would say - be ready to spend money like you would at a 5 star resort and be prepared to be ignored unless you need something - and be prepared to feel like an unwanted foreigner who should be lucky to stay in this hotel. Although it is a bit rusty, my second degree in college was Italian, so even though I could speak the language - I didn't get any special exceptions either. They clearly cater to an Italian wealthy Italian clientele and foreigners were scarce while we were there. We came as a family of 4 and be prepared that they do not accept more than 3 people in any room. So not only did I have to pay outrageous rates for 1 room - but I had to do it for 2 rooms. The rooms were clean - but the beds and the furniture was minimal and cheap (or seemed so). Don't trust the photos, they oversell the "poshness" of the hotel. We sat at the pool two days in a row and no one even came over to see if we wanted a drink. I waited until the end of our trip to write this review to see if I was being too hard on the hotel and maybe this is just the way the fancy hotels in Italy are. We stayed in Tuscany at some luxury apartments in Volterra and also at a 5 star Hilton in Venice. These plus our small hotel at the base of the Spanish Steps all exceeded the Colonna Rsort Hotel. I even read some of the poor reviews before I went here and thought they seemed to rough given the pictures. The photos of the grounds definitely sell the hotel, but be prepared - that is about all you get and you pay again again and again while you are there. Sardinia is well worth the trip - the Colonna is not worth the very high price tag. Theee are plenty of beautiful views all around and many other hotels who can take advantage of it at a much more reasonable price.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Stefano-Lai, Direttore generale at Colonna Resort, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Dear Guest,

as Manager of the Colonna Resort, I take this opportunity to say thank you for choosing our hotel and for dedicate your time to write this review on your stay in our hotel.

Thank you for the compliments that you have send to the structure, the location and the reception staff .

I'm sorry to read Your review so negative, especially because it is directed exclusively to the prices and the fact that the extra services at our hotel are to pay.
I think, as you've written, maybe the fact that it was the most expensive room that you have bought, this fact has affected your rating compared to the services cost.

Our hotel offers a variety of free amenities, over the breakfast, as Wi-Fi free in every part of the hotel, the shuttle bus to Porto Cervo center , the use of sun beds, umbrellas and towels by the pool, beach, and wood dek on the sea, the gym open from 7 am to 11 pm, a golf course, tennis, the private helipad and a private port, porterage on arrival and departure, for every other request, newspaper delivery, and many others, while some service are paid (as in every hotels of the world) because they correspond to consumption that have a cost and therefore are priced compared to the amount consumed (ex. bar, spa, restaurants, etc..).

With regard to the fact that for two days, at the pool, you could not order any drink, I venture to say that we have our waiters of the Pool-Bar, serving continuously all guest in our pools, all the day, they turn the pools all day, so if you could not order any drink, maybe you don't have wanted to ask to the waiter, because they will be passed neat to you, maybe 20 times a day, anywhere in the pool you were, and maybe they don't ask to you for don't disturb you, as we often do, because all the our hotel staff tries every day to satisfy the expectations of every our Guest, They Try to transform the stay of every our Guest, in a happy experience.

In the hope of give you again a most cordial Welcome to Porto Cervo, I remain at Your disposal for any need or request,

I take this opportunity to send you my Best Regards.

Porto Cervo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Syracuse, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

We checked in today... And I already regret we chosed this place! How can it be a 5 stars hotel??? From the start, I am pregnant on 7th month, our room was not ready at 11am, so we went to a swimming pools area outside, Its quite huge, but for our shock there were very limited amount of chairs and umbrellas! The staff did not mind our complains. So basicaly we are paying 400€ a night and we have to take a Sun by standing!! Our room was ready only at 14.00 and we found it quite poor for 5stars category... With old and too used towels.

• Stayed August 2012
Stefano-Lai, Direttore generale at Colonna Resort, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
as Manager of Colonna Resort, 5 *****, I take this opportunity to say thank You for choosing our hotel and taking your time to write a review regarding your stay with us .

Sorry but it is quite normal that often the rooms are not ready on arrival, at 11 am, in the morning, otherwise we can would ask all guest to leave the room at the start, entrole 8 o'clock in the morning, but not would fair.
the sunbeds pool and beach are always in greater numbers as needed, but only if looking for a specific location maybe those were already occupied.

However we'll try to using your comments in a constructive way, to try to further improve our services and to better monitor what you reported.

We hope of being able to extend a warm welcome back to Porto Cervo, and We remain at your disposal for any need or request,

I take this opportunity to send you My Best Regards.

Cologny, Suisse
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Wih a last minute urge to get a beach holiday, I booked a week in this nice resort. On arrival I was a bit disappointed.... This hotel is not in Porto Cervo! Then gain, there is probably only one hotel (Sheraton) actually in Porto Cervo and all the rest of them are located in the immediate area.
This hotel is build in a (I guess) ancient Sardinian style. It's almost a bit like a farmers village, with wooden doors and a lot of exposed brick. The huge gardens, with a golf driving rage included, are lush with flowres. And then there are the five, six, seven pools! A whole pool ladscpae is laid out overlooking the mediterranian and facing actually Porto Cervo proper. And then there is the cutest small beach. I still am doubting if the beach is natural or landscaped, but hidden in a small private bay, with nice pontoons/jetties for additional deck chairs, yo can enjoy the sea to nthe max. No watersport facilities, just the beach......
The two restaurants serve excellent food and the service is friendly.
The room was a bit small and the beds a bit dated, but you spend most of your time by the pool or on the beach, so not a problem.

Room Tip: Sea view is a must!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
as Manager of Colonna Resort, I take this opportunity to say thank You for choosing our hotel and taking your time to write a review regarding your stay with us.

I send you my Best Thank for the compliments that you have written to the hotel, to our staff and for the hotel services

Hoping to give you again Welcome to Porto Cervo, and remain at Your disposal for any need or request,

New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

I was so disappointed with this place. It for sure impacted the trip and my overall take on Costa Smeralda especially after coming from Corsica and staying in a real 5 star lodge! My husband and I liked Sardinia but, felt like we picked the wrong area to visit. Oversized and overpriced hotels in Costa Smeralda and it is hard to get a feel for the charm of the place. I should have known better as I was very concerned with the mixed reviews on the place. I got a decent deal on expedia so I decided to go for it. I do not paying top dollar for a 5 star place but, after reading reviews of other options and hotels - I didn't think they would be much better than the Colonna Resort so we decided to go cheaper.

Room - so small, dingy and felt like it was trying to be old world luxury but, it didn't work. We reserved a queen size bed but, when we got to our room there were two twins pushed together. After complaining, we were switched into a room that had a "sea" view with a queen size bed. Still the look and feel was no better and the bathroom was ridiculously small and strange looking.

View - barely there from our room

Pool - nice and huge.

Gym - old equipment. Dated and not really usable

Service - Laura (I think that was her name) was wonderful. She could tell I was 5 months pregnant and disappointed with the room. She quickly was trying to accommodate us with a better room. She made great suggestions for the beach and a fabulous spot for a real sardinian agriturismo farm style restaurant. She was the saving grace there. Otherwise the service was okay at best.

Location - not great. A good ten plus minutes to main town of Porto Cervo and 15 plus minutes from any beaches. The beach at the hotel is not a beach that you want to stay at. It's on the water but, you need to go to one of the big beaches to experience the Sardinia. I think that might be the case for most hotels. They are not really situated on the best beaches in Costa Smeralda.

Breakfast - blah!

Overall - The place just felt depressing. It was pretty empty for a big hotel. You drive up and the place does not feel luxury. Maybe I don't like the Sardinian style of hotel? I would look around at other options before I would stay here.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

I am very sorry to read Your negative review on our hotel, so different those that normally we receive, that I seem to read things related to another hotel.

But, We'll try to take inspiration from your reports for try to better checking than reported by you, for don't give to anyone customer this impression.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

Very beautiful hotel,fantastic staff, deserves 6 stars .
For me Is the first in Porto Cervo.
The restaurants Are very great , i was here Also l'asta year, but it Is always better and betel services.
The kitchen Is delicious.
Thanks to you, to all the hotel staff.

• Stayed July 2012
Stefano-Lai, Direttore generale at Colonna Resort, responded to this review, August 5, 2012
Dear Guest,

as Manager of the Colonna Resort, I thank you for choosing our hotel, and use your time to show your opinion with other people on Tripadvisor, about your stay in our hotel.

I send you my Best Thank for the compliments that you have written to the hotel, for the our staff and for the hotel services. I send you a special thanks from all our staff.

We hope to have again as dear guest, to try to give you an even better treatment, in every way.

Hoping to can again give you a welcome in Porto Cervo, and remain at your disposal for any need or request,

Thanks and my Best Regards.

Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

We were skeptical to book this hotel because of its very mixed reviews, so since we already were in Sardinia for a week prior to our stay, we went up to visit the hotel. The location, view, pool and beach were amazing, but as the earlier reviews mentioned the rooms were a big let down. However we decided to stay there for two nights based soley on the pool and beach area. We had a great stay but having stayed at many 5 star resorts around the world I must say this hotel has one of the most unused potentials ever.

The GOOD:
Very helpful service, amazing location, breathtaking views, the biggest pool area I have seen, clean hotel, and great private beach. To our great surprice the hotel restaurant, which we could not find any reviews for, was very good for dinner, they had fixed menu each evening + a la carte, pricey but worth it. The restaurant manager deserves credit for really working hard to get this restaurant to the level of more established european michelin type restaurants, so we had a very pleasant last night dinner. The bar and terrace is very nice, great selection, bar staff was very attentive, good drinks, good service and again amazing view from the terrace both in the afernoon and evening.

The BAD (where the potential lies)
Gym... I was surprised that the hotel had a fairly large gym compared to most other hotels in Italy and France. However the equipment belongs in a musem. I have not seen equipment like this in any gyms for the last 20 years..at least :).. Some of the equipment is actually dangerous to use, and if this was in America I think the hotel would have a few lawsuits on its hands. But this could be an easy fix which would give the hotel a great +
Rooms, although clean, the beds (as mentioned in most reviews) are terrible, very hard with no support and does not offer a very good sleep (also an easy fix) The satelite tv is great with like 500 channels, but the tv it self was a joke.. I have not seen a 22" tv for a while, as most pc screens today are about 24".. with todays prices it would be an easy fix here also.
The breakfast: at first the selection seems wast, but it mostly consists of different types of bread, crossiants, rolls etc, most of this is stale and not very tasty, only bacon and scrambled eggs as warm dishes, here the selection could be wastly approved as the terrace is an amazing place to start the day.
The language... the level of english speaking people at the hotel is not impressive, but I get the feeling that this is a problem all over Sardinia. Employees at a 5star resorts needs to speak english to ensure that the international guests are understood. It is very frustrating to spend alot of extra time explaning the simplest request because the person doesnt understand english

I believe if these things are fixed the hotel could be totally amazing throughout, as the location and property around the hotel is hard to match anywhere in the world.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Stefano-Lai, Direttore generale at Colonna Resort, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Dear Guest,

as Manager of Colonna Resort, 5 *****, I take this opportunity to say thank You for choosing our hotel and taking your time to write a review regarding your stay with us and for the compliments that you've done to our hotel, for having defined
“A GREAT STAY”,
to have also enjoyed THE VERY HELPFUL SERVICE, amazing location, breathtaking views, the biggest pool area, clean hotel, great private beach, THE RESTAURANT, GOOD RESTAURANT SERVICE, BAR AND TERRACE VERY NICE, great selection, good bar staff, good drinks, good service and the gym dimension.

I'm very sorry, instead, that you don't have found good :
- The equipment of the gym
(The gym equipment can't be 20 years old, because they were purchased after the opening of the hotel that has only 3 years, some is the latest models of equipment by Technogym, then the maximum comfort)
- The beds
(I am truly sorry that you didn't sleep well, because the beds, mattresses and bedding, are all of high quality, but also when an our guest prefer different types, often We can also change the types of mattress to allow a rest better, if We know about this, we wanted to do the same thing with you)
- The TV
(the TV, and the channels and in it, are the most advanced in Italy and Europe, I'm sorry you do not have considered good)
- Breakfast
(For breakfast is always set up a large buffet of the best Italian food, all fresh and top quality, including fresh fruit, smoked salmon, champagne, strawberries, fresh cakes, croissants of different tastes, muffins, eggs, scrambled eggs, bacon, various types of cakes, cereals, muslei, toast, fresh bread, a corner for Celiacs, several flavors of jams, nutella, honey, milk, fresh fruit juices of different flavors, canned fruit, and much more, all absolutely fresh and also of the highest quality and are always served at the table hot drinks, as tea, coffee, cappuccino, latte, of various types, etc..)
- The English language of some staff members
(All staff in contact with customers speak fluent English, and almost always another foreign language, i'm very sorry reading now, that you have had the problems for understand, I'd like to better understand with whom, and what type of problem there was)

I take this opportunity to send you My Best Regards.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012 via mobile

This is not what we expected. Not worth what we are paying, it is definitely not a 5 star hotel. Pool and beach area is nice but missing the fun. The hotel is too quiet in general. Rooms are clean but very simple and not too big. Breakfast is poor and the food at the pool bar is nothing special, and very expensive. (25€ for a normal club sandwich!!) We have decided not to try the restaurant as we can imagine it will be expensive and low quality.

• Stayed July 2012
Stefano-Lai, Direttore generale at Colonna Resort, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Dear Guest,

as Manager of Colonna Resort, I take this opportunity to say thank You for choosing our hotel and taking your time to write a review regarding your stay with us and for the compliments that you've done to the pool, beach, the rooms clean, and for defining our hotel as quiet, which for us is a compliment, because this is a hotel where many people spend their holidays and often they appreciate the calm.

Although, we organize a soft activities, which obviously you don't have appreciated, because every night we make the piano bar, with the pianist playing live, on the panoramic terrace of our bar, free shuttle to the center of Porto Cervo (at fixed times ), and for our young guests, the girls of our miniclub organizes small activities, every day.
All activities very soft, for don't disturb the quiet of the hotel, with you said.

About our food, we are very sorry that you didn't appreciate the food of our Beach Bar, while we are happy that (contrary to what is written in your review) when you tried our restaurant, you have complimented with the staff for the service and kitchen, demonstrating that the first reactions were, perhaps, a little bit too premature.

Porto Cervo

Been to Colonna Resort? Share your experiences!