“Antica Olivaia: Reason enough to visit Umbria” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Antica Olivaia

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Orvieto
Antica Olivaia
San Bartolomeo, 17, 05018 Orvieto, Italy   |
San Francisco, California
“Antica Olivaia: Reason enough to visit Umbria”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

There are many good reasons why you should stay at Antica Olivaia if you plan to travel to Umbria, among them being: the landscape of Umbrian hills embellished with olive groves and grape vines that surround the property, the afforded view of the valley and of Orvieto seated on its tufa throne, the proximity of Antica Olivaia to Orvieto, Bagnoregio, and a dozen other ancient hilltop towns, as well as the restored farm house in which you would comfortably stay. But the two greatest reasons of all to stay at Antica Olivaia are Daniela and Marco, the owners and hosts.

I can think of no one else who befits his or her line of work better than Daniela or Marco, both of whom seem committed to elevating the accustomed standard of hospitality. They are genuine and gregarious, not to mention generous as evidenced by Daniela's eagerness to share her knowledge of the area's less discovered points of interest with those who aren't in the know and Marco's enthusiastic willingness to open the kitchen and his recipe book to the culinary curious. However, their greatest quality is their remarkable ability to establish a familiar and comfortable rapport with their guests to the extent that when I left, it wasn't as if I was leaving new friends, rather it was as if I was leaving old ones.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

120 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

While planning our trip to Italy, we decided to stay in Orvieto between Florence and Rome, to get some rest and relaxation. However, we found out there is so much to see and do in this part of the country.

Our best decision was to book at Antica Olivaia for all the reasons that have been mentioned in previous reviews. Marco and Daniela were welcoming and helpful from the beginning to the end of our trip. From my 1st email to Daniela I found her to be friendly and helpful and was looking forward to meeting her.

The B&B has been restored beautifully and the view is amazing. We had a large room and a really large bathroom with a great shower. We hit a patch of cold weather and Marco made sure our rooms were warm and comfortable.

If you are staying here make sure you plan on a few dinners with Marco and Daniela and with the other guests. This really made the trip memorable. It was fun to hear about what others were experiencing in their visit around Umbria and Tuscany. Daniela and Marco have great stories and their dinners make you feel like you are among old friends. We can not say enough about what gracious hosts they are and that is what truly makes this B&B a special place to stay.

We really wish we had more time to spend at Antica Olivaia and hope to return.

Some of the places we visited:
Civita de Bagnoregio
Orvieto
Pienza
Montalcino
Montepulciano

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Having never been to Orvieto before, I was hoping it would be a nice change from the hectic pace of Rome, and indeed it was. And at Antica Olivaia, with hosts Daniela and Marco Paris, it was the perfect place to relax. Their farmhouse is comfortable and inviting and their food first-rate. Both Daniela and Marco are fonts of knowledge about the area and they will map out excursions to neighboring towns. All in all, I would recommend it to a friend and hope to return there myself!

Room Tip: All rooms are the same size.
Denver, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

We stayed four nights at the Antica Olivaia in late May, and we are so glad we did! The farmhouse is adorable, the views spectacular, and the accommodations quite comfortable. You take country roads for 10-15 minutes, meandering through lush forests full of birds and wildflowers, and then pop out at this wonderful stone farmhouse with incredible panoramic views of the surrounding valleys. Make sure to follow the directions on the website. The first time you take the “fork to the left,” it can be a bit scary since the road you’re turning onto is lower than the road you’re on, so you can’t see what it’s like, but after you’ve done it once, it’s just fine.

The rooms are quite large and have all the amenities – good shower, comfortable beds, wi-fi access, even a nice hair dryer! And the views are just amazing – beautiful green countryside and a lovely view of Orvieto. It’s a great location for exploring all the hill towns of Umbria. We saw Perugia, Spoleto, Orvieto, Civita Bagnoregio, Bolsena, and the Cascades of Marmore near Terni.

But the real reason to stay at the Antica Olivaia is the hospitality. Daniela and Marco are superb hosts who make you feel so special. They love where they live, they love what they do, and they love sharing it with you. They have an incredible wealth of information about the culture, history, and art of the region. We mapped out ideas with them every day of what to do, and we always left with our heads spinning with all of the incredible possibilities! We also ate two fabulous meals with them, and every dish was delicious. Marco makes the savory dishes and Daniela the sweet ones, and breakfasts are delicious starts with fresh breads, jams, cappuccinos, and juices. Some of our favorite things were the fried sage, the crostata with plums and apricots, the fresh ricotta with honey, and the zucchini flowers stuffed with anchovies and mozzarella! Conversation was always lively (they are both extremely interesting and entertaining people) and the wine was always flowing.

If you want to explore Umbria, the Antica Olivaia is a wonderful place to do it. You will leave with not only wonderful memories but also with new friends.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

I am 20 year-old student from Chicago, and this past spring I was studied southern Spain so for Easter my family came to visit me in late March. We spent about a week traveling through Italy, and out of all the cities we visited (including Florence and Venice), I have to say that my favorite was Orvieto. Antica Olivaia was the first bed & breakfast I'd ever stayed at, and it set the bar extremely high! My family and I spent three days and two nights, but I wish it had been longer!

First and foremost, the place is adorable. It sits high on a hill overlooking the whole valley, surrounded by vineyards and olive orchards. The view from its front step is breath-taking, exactly how you'd imagine the Italian countryside to be. I stayed in room 1; it was very comfortable and spacious, the bathroom was spotless, and the shower was great. The house had Wifi throughout it, which if you're traveling with teenagers, is good to know! The food Marco prepared was incredible. He let my mom help him cook the risotto, and since she expressed an interest in arancini balls, he adjusted the next night's menu so that he could show her how a real Italian arancini ball was made! We loved the antipastos before dinner and fresh, homemade jams Daniela set out for us in the morning. I am not a huge coffee fan, but the cappuccino Marco made for us was incredible! Daniela's desserts were flawless and our whole food experience was fantastic and topped with warm conversation.

What really made this experience absolutely unforgettable was the kindness and hospitality of Marco and Daniela. From the first minute, they made us feel like family and did everything they could to make us feel at home. Fluent in both English and Italian, I really enjoyed our mealtime conversations, learning about Italy from Marco, a born and bred Italian, and hearing about Daniela's journey from the States back to her homeland. They were the sweetest, most warm couple and my whole family was very sad to say goodbye after our few days!

When I return to Italy someday (which I will!) there's no doubt I'll have to make another stop at the Antica Olivaia. It's charm, view and hosts were all unforgettable. Can't wait to visit again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Boise, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

We enjoyed three nights at Antica Olivaia's farmhouse in April. Although the weather was cool and rainy, Daniella and Marco were warm and welcoming. We stayed in Room #4, which has a lovely view and large bath. I always worry about sleeping on a bed that is too soft or too hard, but the mattress was perfect. Two evenings we dined at the farmhouse, enjoying a delicious four course meal prepared by our hosts. Daniella's tiramisu and Marco's homemade pasta were definitely highlights of our trip. We hope next time we can stay longer and soak up a little sun by the pool.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Charleston, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I have read the recent reviews posted on this site and can confirm all of the comments I have read; all of which are positive. My wife and I wanted to stay in a place for a few nights from which we could explore areas of Umbria and Lazio. We had spent the prior four nights with friends and our "Italian daughter" in Florence and other areas of Tuscany,and were looking forward to new experiences. We could not have found a better location and situation. We spent three nights and days. Two nights we ate at Antica Olivaia and one evening we went to a wonderful restaurant overlooking Orvieta which had been recommended by Marco. When we informed Daniele where we planned to go, she provided us with helpful suggestions on just what to see and where to catch a meal or cup of coffee. Every morning we had a tasty breakfast that set us off for the day and the evening meals prepared by Marco were the equal of the finest restaurants we visited. The location is terrific, the food is good, the rooms are clean and comfortable, but the best part was the service and friendship of Daniele and Marco. The fact that they are both fluent in English while my wife and I have to depend upon our "Italian daughter" and her friend for translations, was very special. Finally, in addition to everything, they kindly put their two very nice cats away in respect of my allergies and Daniele even did a laundry for me one day. Simply said, this is a special place with special people. If we are able to return to the area, we will surely stay again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Antica Olivaia? Share your experiences!