“Top Notch!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Entertaining clients, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Opened till 1966, tuscan food, garden for summer time, romantic dinner.
Calgary, Canada
“Top Notch!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

This was one of the best meals we had during out three nights in the Siena region of Italy. The other was at Poggio Piglia, where we were staying. Wonderful pasta, not too heavy, amazing olive oil, wine, service, ambience, etc, etc. We still dream of our meal here. The patio was gorgeous and the staff was very courteous and not pretentious at all. Amazing location right next to the beautiful San Biagio church too. Make a reservation and enjoy!

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

• Turkish first
Kansas City, Missouri
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

Walked up the hill on the recommendation of Roberto at the Relais San Bruno where we were staying. Awesome meal and wine. Service was excellent and very cool building. Outside the city walls and down the hill but we'll worth going too.

Visited September 2013
Ireland
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

This is a fantastic find with really lovely staff. Some outdoor seating with great views of the Duomo. If you cannot get an outside table, I won't worry too much as there is a battle with bitting insects and the inside space is lovely too. Family run, attention to detail and a wide wine selection. Not to miss

Visited August 2013
New York City, New York
“Not so good...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

I have been in Italy on and off for years and especially in Tuscany. I have heard about La Grotta from a number of people who really like it and say it is amongst the best food in Tuscany. I have no idea why it has taken me this long to get there but on my latest trip I did manage to go there with two friends. Unfortunately I left rather unimpressed (apart from the bill which was rather impressive!). The service was very good but the food lacked style and flavor. I left feeling there is little substance to this restaurant. Granted there was no room for complaint as the food was edible but there are far better restaurants in Tuscany where you don't have to pay exorbitant prices and the food is much better. I am in absolutely no rush to go there again anytime soon. 'Try somewhere else' would be my review.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Paris, France
“Bellisimo!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

A truly wonderful experience is to be had at this delightful restaurant opposite the church of San Biagio just outside Montepulciano's walls. My wife and I could not have had a better experience - impeccable service (good English), fabulous presentations and really excellent food - at our recent lunch there. We were offered a white wine aperitif soon after being seated and a great chef appetizer creation - porcini and baked pecorino. My wife had the artichoke and spinach tart starter, complete with a fabulously prepared thin slice of bacon, and couldn't pass up on the white tartufo tagliatelle, cooked to perfection. I tried the tasting menu - and was not disappointed - the artichoke/spinach tarte, pate crostini, white bean soup, pigeon ravioli, lamb cutlets and dessert selection. Amazingly good.

• Visited November 2013