“Off the beaten path” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 31 Hotels in Montegrotto Terme
San Francisco, California
“Off the beaten path”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Stayed here for a week through an RCI reservation with friends/family. As stated, the hotel is across the street from the train station, which makes it really convenient. You need convenience when you want to go different places. Venice is 45 minutes via train. We had a car and took excursions so it worked out for us to stay here. It's out of the way and while the town is quaint, there really isn't much to do but stay here. Good location IF you are going different places and don't wan to stay in the cities you visit.

Pros: Convenient to train. Food good, limited wine selection. The staff is very warm and helpful, food good and plentiful. The spa is nice and we enjoyed several services. Warm and large pool was nice after the evening.

We stayed on te train side and really didn't find the noise an issue with sleep at all. The rooms are basic - beds/pillows more on a 3 star level. Bath ok, water pressure good and no problems with hot water or essential things.

Cons: The internet was pretty awful - inconsistent at best, so it's difficult to make last minute reservations on line or get online. The carpet is pretty worn is areas, but the overall shape of the hotel is good.

I stayed with friends who have the RCI membership. My preference would to stay in the cities I visit in the evenig to experience the ambience (Venice, Florence). You must come back here for dinner, so it cuts the excursion short, as they don't allow changes in the meal plan.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

My wife and I booked a week through our RCI timeshare and were absolutely delighted with the hotel, the service, the facilities, food and the accommodation. The staff were very helpful and friendly, the half board was well worth the price as the food was really good, plentiful and varied.

We did not have any issue with being next to the station which in fact made our travelling around so easy and relatively cheap. Whilst you could hear the odd train the hotel grounds more than made up for this little downside. Overall no complaints whatsoever. We would definitely use this hotel again and would recommend it accordingly

Room Tip: Apart from the pool we id not use the spa but it looked wonderful.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

I was in a room full of flies, when I picked up the towel after the shower flies flew out of the towel. The hotel is located adjacent to the train station so if sleeping on the side of the station every half hour you have a train passes so loud even late at night.

• Stayed May 2013
mioni, Marketing manager at Hotel Mioni Royal San, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Dear MR. Gill,
We are really so Sorry to read such a review like this because all the others underline our cleanness and the facilities to have the train station near us.
It could be normal that flies enter into a room if the window will be open and if outside the weather will be cold in May....
in any case it is a very strange review Mr. Gill, due may be,at your resentment at the end of your journey (16.00 pm instead of 10.00 as usual)to pay the late check out on Saturday 25.05.2013.
Remaining at your disposal
Best regards
The Direction
Cambridge England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

We booked through RCI. Getting to the hotel is easy by train which we did. From Venice SL or Mestre local trains stop at Terme Eugenee Abano Montegrotto where the hotel is just adjacent to the station.It proved a great location for visiting Venice, Padua, Verona which we did all by train.(a great way to find train times and destinations is to use the www.trenitalia.it website. Click the union jack to get english version . We got all our train times and destination from this )
With Rci you have to book half board with evening meals (48 euros/day per person.) This proved very helpful as it saved us finding somewhere to eat in the evenings. The food in the evening was very good and was a 4 course meal, with different menu each night . The hotel breakfast was a buffet with the same things each day . The decor and rooms were excellent and the spa great . Tip take your swimming costume. You will also need a swim cap. The water is very warm and don't be suprised to see everyone wondering around in bath robes., which are in your room.
The only downside apart from our weather which was cold and rainy, unusual we were told for late March - was that the hotel didn't have tea/coffee making facility in the room.
Staff were kind and very efficient - We highly recommend this hotel

Room Tip: Try to avoid the station side as niose from the trains may disturb you.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

We booked this through RCI. The room was very nice, however, the bathroom towel heater/radiator was turned up so high that the heat from the bathroom made the bedroom very warm. Also, there was no clock in the room. While other travelers complained about the noise from the nearby train, we did not find this a problem and loved the convenience of having the train right outside the door. Each day we got on the train and explored another city. Our biggest complaint was with the board package. The dining experience reminded us of being on a cruise without the option to change dining rooms The food was not worth the price and was very average. The dinner appetizer and dessert buffets were the same each evening except for one item. The entrees were mixed, some good, some OK, some not edible.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

We booked through RCI who advertises the hotel as in Padova; it isn't, but it's only a short train hop away and the railway station is very close. We were given a double bedded room although we had booked, and RCI had confirmed, a twin. The hotel did change the room for us after one night and the room we the had was satisfactory. Daily room service, toiletries etc. as a matter of course and a nice touch was towelling robes and slippers for the duration of the stay. I don't know whether it was the same for all guests, perhaps only RCI, but a condition of our stay was that we were obliged to take the evening meals at a fixed cost. This was not cheap but the food was excellent and there was always a wide choice. Staff were efficient and spoke sufficient English for the guests' needs - levels of friendliness varied!
Montegrotto is a pleasant small town famous for its thermal spas dating back to Roman times and, although we visited late in the season, there was often some event taking place in the town.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I absolutely loved this property. I booked through RCI and could not have been happier. I took the train there from Rome. It is a cute little, authentic Italian town with great shops and cafes. I used a laundromat close by and it was very convenient. It is a beautiful resort, modern decor and friendly staff. My room was quite large with a king size bed and a double door balcony. Room service came every day to tidy up. The bed was perhaps a little on the hard side but I slept well regardless. I enjoyed the pool very much. They keep the water very warm and they have waterfalls that are excellent for pounding out back tension. It is also the most perfect location for exploring northern Italy. The train station is right next to the resort and tickets aren't too expensive at all (train station is Terme Euganee if you want to get tickets in advance from trenitalia.it). I did notice a bit of noise from train traffic but it was completely worth it for having the convenience of the train station right there. I did a couple day trips to Venice which I loved. Make sure you go to Murano and Burano, the outlying islands of Venice known for glass and lace-making respectively. I also did a day in Verona which was very fun. I participated in the mandatory half-board and was really thankful to have that. It was nice having breakfasts and dinners all ready for me and not having to find a place to eat. I do wish they would expand the hours a bit though. Breakfast is from 7:30 to 10 and dinners are from 7:30 to 9. It made for a little annoyance having to make sure I could be back in time for dinner but I made it work. Breakfasts were pretty standard, European. They did have eggs and sausage though along with cold cuts, breads, cereals and fruits. And they have champagne every morning for guests. Dinners were wonderful. Four courses and something different every night. The appetizer bar is amazing and I had to stop myself from filling up on appetizers before my pasta and entree courses. Desserts were great also. The bartender, Samy is very friendly and excellent. Front desk staff don't speak a lot of English but help you the best they can and I managed just fine. I didn't spend any time at the spa since I was more on an "exploring" trip but the treatments seemed very good and a good value. I would recommend this resort to anyone!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Mioni Royal San? Share your experiences!