“Perfectly adequate in beautiful location” 3 of 5 stars

Metropole Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via della Torretta, 13, 51016 Montecatini Terme, Italy   |
Ranked #50 of 109 Hotels in Montecatini Terme
Coventry, UK
“Perfectly adequate in beautiful location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2009

The small town of Montecatini Terme is quite pleasant if unremarkable, and has some nice restaurants and cafés, and unlike other places in Italy, a smattering of Italian is required in order not to starve. Cheap Chianti flows readily in the evenings, and a trip to Montecatini Alto via the funicular railway will be rewarded with some wonderful views and excellent (if slightly overpriced) dining on the piazza.

This hotel was booked through an agent specialising in deals for solo travellers. It's a bit tired and dated but let's face it, you don't go to Tuscany in June to enjoy the design on your hotel wallpaper. You are half an hour from Florence, less than an hour from the beautiful Viareggio coast, with Lucca, Pistoia and other locations to explore.

Hotel staff are extremely obliging, particularly the evening concierge. Breakfast is available in the comfortable dining room. Evening meals are also served, although there is a wider choice in the town.

I expect better is available for the price, but there's nothing actually wrong with this place.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Turkish first
England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2008

Stayed at this hotel as part of jules verne taste of tuscany. The hotel is ok located about 7 mins walk from train station. The rooms are old and quite dated but ok. The bathroom is small with very small shower but proved to be ok . There was a pleasant garden with above ground pool(didnt use) and a bar in reception area with plenty of seating. Given the price paid the hotel wasnt bad but nothing special either. It could be very noisy early in the morning and the air conditioning is switch off at 7.30 each morning. reception staff were very helpful and printed off train times for me and were always polite. Breakfast is ok just what you would expect from a 3 star contiental hotel. Enjoyed my stay at hotel.

• Liked — Central location and reception staff
  • Disliked — bit noisy and a/c switched off at 7.30 am.
  • Stayed September 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2008

I stayed in this hotel as part of a Trafalgar tour in May. The hotel is an older facility in a very cute little town near Florence. It has a nice little bar in the lobby where you can get a glass of wine or a drink which we did do the night we were there. The room is large by European standards and had fairly comfortable twin beds. The room also has a great balcony that overlooks the street. I would have liked to have had my breakfast out here if I were staying longer. The town of Montecatini is really nice with several cute little shops and bars. Some of our group went out the night we stayed here to a local bar and listened to music and had a few drinks. I was fairly tired from running around Florence so I stayed in after dinner that night. The dinner in the hotel was adequate (it was included in our tour). I would not have wanted to pay extra for it and in fact would have chosen to go out for dinner if I had to pay to eat here but it provided sustenance. The breakfast was standard cereal, toast, cheese, yogurt. It was adequate. If transportation is not a problem to Florence, I would definitely choose to stay here again but if I was worried about how to get around, I would probably opt to stay closer to Florence.

• Liked — The balcony in my room
  • Disliked — The food in the restaurant
  • Stayed May 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
West Sussex
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2007

Having read the very negative reviews of this hotel on your website, I approached my holiday with some trepidation. All unfounded. I cannot comment on the experiences of the negative reviewers as I was not part of their holiday but our own experiences were completely different. Yes, the rooms are not big but they are well furnished and
clean and the shower room that we had was very adequate. The lounge area is comfortable and elegant and the circulating areas of the hotel are well decorated and presented. The breakfast was a good continental buffet and the staff were pleasant. There is a limited bar that is not obviously open but when we requested a drink we were willingly served by the concierge.

This hotel is in a good position in a quiet road overlooking a lovely
park and within a very easy walk to the town centre. I do not know the room rates as my husband and I had booked a package but my opinion is that this hotel offers excellent value for money - an opinion that was shared by other people in our party.

Would I recommend this to other travellers? Yes, I would for value and convenience as Montecatini is an excellent centre for individual sightseeing.

• Liked — Clean and pleasantly furnished
  • Disliked — no particular dislike
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2007

This hotel has been refurbished. The furnishings are first class. The rooms are on the small side and the bath was too small as you could only sit in it and showering was very awkward, particularly for elderly/disabled people.

The breakfast was better than expected as it was an acceptable buffet. Although we had to leave at 5.30 in the morning because of an early flight a breakfast was supplied.

My only criticism (apart from the bath) was that there was a party of loud Americans on Trafalgar Tours who insisted on shouting Bon Giorno to each other outside the bedroom at 6.00 a.m. when we were trying to get some sleep. On the other hand there were two other parties (Japanese and German) who were no problem at all.

• Liked — The condition of the furnishings.
  • Disliked — The bath.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2007

Just returned from a week at this hotel. Excellent location for park, spas, main square and furnicular railway. Hotel very comfortable - recently refurbished. Helpful and pleasant service from the staff on reception and housekeeping. We had special requirements - easy access room and walk in shower facilities which we requested in advance and these were met. We were served drinks in both the hotel garden and the park which was delightful. A comfortable, well appointed hotel in a great location.

Stayed August 2007
Hampshire UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2007

Having read the the three posted reviews, I was not looking forward to staying for a week, and I did try and change the booking to another hotel; this was not possible because of the deal the Travel Agent had made.

In the event, my wife and I were very pleasantly surprised by the hotel. The hotel has been refurbished throughout and the location is good being adjacent to a large park and about 5 minues walk from the town centre. It is a 3 Star hotel, the rooms are not large and the bathrooms are small (speaking to a colleague staying in a 4 Star in the town centre he told me his room was larger, but not that much and his bathroom was only a little larger). The hotel was clean, facilities were as advertised, although the TV is sited on the wall above head height, and in addition to continental breakfast, a three course lunch and dinner were available in the hotel for 20 Euros a head.

The hotel seems to be a favourite overnight stopover for coach tour parties (four during our weeks stay), and the staff coped well with the late arrival and early departure of the groups.

My wife and I would be quite happy to stay there again

• Liked — Comfortable
  • Disliked — Small bathroom
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!