“Excellent!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 109 Hotels in Montecatini Terme
Evanston, Illinois
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

The place is wonderfully located, and I don't mean just the geographical location (a beautiful town is in the heart of Tuscany), but also the location of the hotel in the town - next to a beautiful park (yet walking distance to the center). I had a single room which was kind of small but good enough for me. The size was definitely compensated by the style - the old-style furniture looked classy.

I was sort of hesitant whether to book a half-board or to eat outside in restaurants. Went for the former and it was a great choice. Breakfasts were served outside (unless it rained), in a little garden facing a beautiful park, which was great. Food for the breakfasts was more like hostel food, but it was edible. Their dinners, however, were something that might well be served in a good rstaurant - and I am writing that as someone with rather high standards when it comes to food. Dinner menu changed every evening and always included some "local" stuff (pasta, tomato soup, ham, etc.), which was delicious. In addition, the food was served in a way that made you feel like a king - to be honest, I've never been to a hotel that would serve food in such beautiful dishes, and use so elegant utensils! And their desserts are something to die for!

The staff just couldn't be nicer and more helpful throughout my entire stay. I was checking out at 4:30 am to catch the cab to the airport (which they kindly reserved to me at a nicely discounted price) and they offered me a breakfast - before 5 am! I have to add, however, that I was sort of upset by the cleaning ladies' respect for one's privacy (or lack thereof). Once she came into my room - without any knocking! - when I was in bed. Came in? Actually "invaded" would be a better word. The other time - even worse - another one came in - again no knocking - even though I had left a "do not disturb" notice on my door. I thought that was a stretch.

Overall, however, I can really recommend this place.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Polish first
united kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

A nice quiet hotel,beautiful views from our room, staff were friendly and helpful, we enjoyed our breakfasts, and ate dinner at the hotel most nights, which we thoroughly enjoyed.
we took day trips by train, the station was ten minutes walk from the hotel, Pisa,Lucca and Florence less than an hours train ride away.Our favourite place was Montecatini Alto, stunning!
Would thoroughly reccomend and cant wait to go back.

Room Tip: Ask for a junior matrimonial suite.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

A smaller, quiet, well-run hotel, adjacent to a glorious park, the Mediterraneo had everything I could have wanted. The staff was extremely pleasant and helpful - in fact, because of canceled flights, I arrived one day later than planned. They were gracious, did not charge me for the missed night and couldn't have been nicer. Always helpful with train schedules, dinner reservations, and general information, they were very easy to deal with, especially given my lack of Italian language skills. The rooms are comfortable and clean, with huge beautiful windows - I looked out over a garden with a view of the mountains. The rooms are not fancy, but have fridges, comfortable beds, and the bathroom was clean and utilitarian. Lobby and outdoor lounge spaces were very pleasant, and breakfast on the terrace overlooking the park was lovely. Can't say enough about the setting - the park is huge, yet peaceful. A quick walk into town (7 minutes), and close to everything. The pool at the sister hotel (Astoria) was across the park, and was well-kept and relaxing. The Mediterraneo has af ull service bar, great food, great staff, and did I mention a great location?

Room Tip: Some rooms had small balconies - not sure of size of the room, but would be nice.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2009

We 3 middle aged females spent 6 days at the Hotel Mediterraneo in Montecatini Terme. This hotel is not like any in America, so at first we were dubious. It is an older hotel with furnishings that would be described as dated. But, it was very clean, and we felt very, very safe. The hotel offers single rooms at 1/2 the price of double rooms. It made it nice that the snorers could snore away without bothering anyone and it was nice we didn't have to wait our turn for showers, hairdryers, bathroom use. The hotel is situated close to town with a beautiful park outside the door. We didn't select the full meal option, just continental breakfast daily. The breakfast is served on a terrace at the edge of the park , a beautiful way to start the day. The most amazing part of the stay is the staff. They were wonderful and did everything they could to assist us. I would highly recommend this hotel to all people of all ages. Like I stated above, it was very different than what we are used to in major American cities, but by the end of our stay, we didn't want to leave.
We used ComeandseeItaly.com and booked day trips to Florence, Cinque Terre, Vinci winery. Our tour guide was Tania and she spoke excellent english and was very friendly and fun. We also booked a 4 hour cooking class where we went to a farm house and learned to make pasta, 3 types of sauces and tiramisu. We all then ate together at a table with the cook and her husband. One day we arranged for a free shuttle to Grotta Giusti, where we sat in actual grotto named after Dante's inferno, then chilled in the thermal pool. It was an awesome experience. All in all, it was a marvelous trip to Tuscany and because it was August, we spent most of our time under the Tuscan sun which was intense at 92 degrees farenheit. Thank goodness our hotel rooms were air conditioned. For some reason Montecatini does not attract too many American visitors but they assured us they all love America and treated us like royalty. We felt like we experienced the real Tuscany, we struggled a little with communicating but as long as you attempt to learn some Italian words and phrases, people would attempt to help. If not, someone who spoke english would come and help us. We had lots of fun exchanging words and phrases, it added to the experience. Never, for one moment did we feel nervous or unsafe. One thing I hadn't seen mentioned before, is that in the small towns, no one takes credit cards, but there are ATM machines everywhere.
The Hotel Mediterraneo provided transport service (just the 3 of us) between the hotel and Pisa airport. We never needed a car, but other guests did have car rentals. The hotel had wifi available for a fee.
This is the first time I'm writing a review like this. I feel so satisfied with our experience and I want to share it with others.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Panningen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2009

We had a great time at hotel Mediterraneo. The staff is very friendly and helpfull. Hotspots like Firenze, Lucca, Viareggio etc. are near by. The food is delicious. Breakfast is simple but good. Diner exists out of three courses and is also very good. The rooms are very clean. They look a little old but that was not a problem for us.

It's a perfect hotel. We enjoyed staying there for a week.

Kim en Chris, Panningen (Limburg, Netherlands)

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Landgraaf
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2009

We have just returned from our vacation @ the hotel Mediterraneo. The hotel is comfortable; situated near town centre and quiet. Breakfast and dinner is excellent. Staff is very helpful. Swimming pool in the related Astoria hotel is well seized and equipped.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Clitheroe UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2008

Just returned from a very enjoyable stay at the Mediterraneo. Our first visit to the hotel.Good quiet position. The rooms are clean roomy and pleasant.The management and staff were friendly helpful and efficient. The food was very good and the half board option is the best value.We would be very happy to return to this hotel.

TG & PM Clitheroe UK

Stayed September 2008

Been to Hotel Mediterraneo? Share your experiences!