“For the price, an excellent value and beautiful, clean spot” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Villa Maria
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Maona 21, 51016 Montecatini Terme, Italy   |
Ranked #54 of 109 Hotels in Montecatini Terme
Chicago, Illinois
“For the price, an excellent value and beautiful, clean spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

I'm not sure why the reviews for this place were bad except that maybe management has changed. We were extremely surprised for how little we paid for our room and how beautiful this place was. The rooms look liked they had just been remodeled, it had all amenities you would need, hair dryer, mini fridge, etc which is not always easy to find in Italy. The grounds were lovely and we could situ outside and enjoy a bottle of wine while looking over Montecatini and the hills. Most of all, it was affordable and nicely located between lower and higher montecatini. It was fun to go to Montecatini alto for dinner and enjoy their lovely piazza while going shopping in Montecatini basso during the day. I would recommend it for anyone looking to not spend a lot but have a full breakfast and clean, comfortable room. It also has charm being an old villa!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

milano
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2009

*Price*
The price charged at the end of stay was 33% higher than what showed on the internet site and the previus stay (1 week difference low season).
When I asked the reason they said "my head put this price and I can't change it".
After few days I wrote to the hotel in order to know the reason and they used pretext to explain the reason of the higher price.
At the end, when they become impolite I decided to stop the mail conversation.
Moreover, they are not pay attention to the clients comfort.
*Confort*
During my stay they cleaned the room adjacent to my at 9 am with all possible noise.
*Wi Fi* Just out of order for the 2 times that I stay there...
Maybe you can be luckier than me.Good luck.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Montecatini Terme hotels

Anápolis, Go
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2008

Keep distance from Villa Maria. The hotel itself is OK, but the staff is dishonest and disloyal. In 4 nights I had 3 problems:

1) I booked 1 room for 3 nights and 1 room for 4 nights. I have the e-mail in which I clearly formalized this and, when I checked-in, I reinforced the reservation. For my surprise, on the end of the 3rd night the manager told me that he would charge 4 nights of both rooms because I did not tell them about the 3-night stay. I showed him the bookings.com e-mail with my message formalizing it 2 months in advance, but he said that as a rule they do not read customers messages. At the end, the hotel did not charge but they told me I was a dishonest customer.

2) breakfast is served at 8am. On the last morning, due to an early train, I booked breakfast at 7h30, which was confirmed by the main desk. At 7h30 the restaurant was locked, with lights off. Nobody was working. The hotel ignored what was promised.

3) I paid 1 night before leaving and asked to have the receipt sent to my apartment. It never arrived, although the staff confirmed they would send.

In conclusion, stay away. Montecatini Terme has a lot of other hotels. Do not be trapped by Villa Maria’s beautiful pictures.

• Liked — Well located to visit North Tuscany
  • Disliked — The untruthful and dangerous staff
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2008

We stayed at Villa Maria for three nights. It was a central location for our trips to Florence, Pisa and Lucca. We booked the "attic" room which came with an excellent price tag, but when we arrived, they gave us another room that was much nicer for the same price. We had a little balcony facing the garden and the hills of Tuscany. Their breakfast buffet was very nice, and included in the price. We got Internet for one day at a nominal charge. Free parking. The bed was small and the room was small...but the charm of the hotel more than made up for this. It was like staying in your rich aunt's mansion in the Tuscan hills. It felt very homey, safe, clean, and well cared for. The staff was helpful and we thouroughly enjoyed our stay with no setbacks whatsoever.

Good job Villa Maria!

• Liked — The charm
  • Disliked — smallish room
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Kent, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2008

We were rather disappointed to find that our booking for a standard double room was in fact an attic room which was not detailed on the website we booked on or on our confirmation.
The attic room could not be walked around by myself at 5'4" let alone my partner at 6' tall because of the sloping roof. In fact, he would have had to bend double or aim across the bathroom to use the toilet! The window was a skylight and had a vague view of the sky.
We discussed this with the owner and were offered a standard room (which was what we originally booked as detailed on confirmation) for 15 euros extra per night. We paid this as we could not be this cramped for 3 nights.
This new room was a good size and had a very nice bathroom which would have benefited from heating especially in the middle of January. The bedroom had heating/air-conditioning. The only problem with the room was that there were 2 single beds made up as a double and a gap kept appearing in the middle!
For the first night we turned out to be the only people in the hotel and had our breakfast in the lounge area not the breakfast room as shown in the hotel photos. This was fair enough but did not have all the items as shown on the hotel website and general hotel photos.
The hotel was very clean and on the whole, the staff were friendly enough. It is situated in a good area for sight-seeing in Tuscany.
If you wish to book this hotel, make sure what room you are booking (details on different sites appear to differ). Be careful unless you are under 4 feet tall.

• Liked — The position for touring and the cleanliness.
  • Disliked — The attic bedroom which was not specified when booked.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
n.ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2007

We were travelling round Italy and found Villa Maria by pure accident. And what a lovely find it was!!!
All the staff were friendly and helpful. Our room was spacious, modern and had a wonderful view over the beautiful garden.
The view from the balcony was awesome.
And the choice for breakfast was more then adequate.
In fact we enjoyed it so much we are planning to return.
Go on, book it!! You'll love it!!!

Stayed September 2007
North Wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2007

We stayed for 3 nights in August and arrived, exhausted, the day after we had moved house. The setting is wonderful and just enough distance out of the main town. We stayed in the newer house and although we didn't have a view, the room was large, clean and comfy. On the first night we arrived back after a meal quite late, sat on one of the many terraces admiring the view of Montcatini Alto and a member of the villas staff came to us and asked if we would like a late night drink - wonderful, it really made what had already been a great day into relaxing evening. I can't fault it and can't wait to go back.

• Liked — The views
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Villa Maria? Share your experiences!