“three stars???” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #100 of 109 hotels in Montecatini Terme
World Citizen
“three stars???”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2009

Except for nice breakfast ,everything was disappointing!!!
All four beds in our room were "extra beds" - like the beds on the camping site - with legs bending, air condition was in a very bad condition!!!! (you can imagine in August !!!)

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

93 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Polish first
rijeka, croatia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2008

People, do not go there. Travel agents, don't be fooled by the low rates. It is a dump and it doesn't deserve any rate.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — beds, towels, showers, no heating - that's enough
  • Stayed December 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Glenview, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2007

Once back in the States, on 9, 20, 2007, I sent the following letter, and pictures, to the Credit Card Company contesting the Hotel Tonfoni charges for the specified reasons.

"RE: Contesting charges because room unfit to rent. See enclosed 4 photos.

I delegated my daughter to arrange my visit in Italy hence the reason why she used her credit card for my expenses. It is my wish for her to contest the charges on my behalf because of the following problems:
I reached the Tonfoni Hotel, via delle Saline, 42 – 51016 Montecatini Terme (PT), Italy, about 8:00 PM, on August 28, and I was assigned room 131. Because the room was so hot, I started the air-conditioner and went for a walk, stopping first at the office to complain about the smallness of the room, hardly any bigger then a walk-in closet. The "gentlemen" told me that for the next 2 days he could give me a bigger room, but after that through Sept. 4th, I would be reassigned to the same room.
About midnight I came back and took a shower, then I walked in the bedroom and found I was standing in approximately ¾” of water. I immediately took the towels and sponged the water. Once I felt comfortable that the floor was dry enough I called the office (about 1:30 AM) to report the problem, but I got no answers. I dressed and went down to the hotel office, which I found dark and deserted. I went back in my room, and finished drying the floor. To circulate the bedroom air, I managed to run the bathroom fan with the light off, and at a little past 2:00 AM, I went in bed trying to sleep, to no avail.
In the morning I went to the hotel office and reported the problem. I was immediately told that probably I put my feet on the shower drainage hole at which I replied absolutely that was not the case. I proceeded to explain in detail that the problem was due to the fact that more than half of the bathroom floor is pitching toward the bedroom, and not toward the shower drainage. Something that I should probably have noticed in advance having an Italian college degree in Civil Engineering.
Also I told him that this is not the first time it has happened, because the plaster in the bedroom side is damaged due to standing water on the bedroom floor. He promptly replied that the damage was due by the maids cleaning the floor. Photos # 4 shows otherwise.
The manager told me that I should have called the office immediately, and they would have sent someone to do the job. I replied, that I did, but nobody answered the phone. "That is strange because at that time", he said, "he was in the office". I replied that it was not true because I came down approximately at 1:30 AM, and the office was completely dark, deserted, and nobody was around. He proceeded to say that, "maybe, at the time I went in the office, I was out for some errands" (at 1:30 in the morning?).
Finally I told him that, because of all the problems and aggravations I went through, I was not paying for the room. He answered that he had the guarantee of a credit card; hence, he didn’t care what I was saying”. Again I told him that I was not going to pay for the bill, at which he asked me the reason why I didn’t want to pay it. “I just told you,” I said, “but you don’t get it. I am a guest in this hotel, not a worker. At night I am supposed to sleep, rest and relax, not working and be aggravated.” Very abruptly he told me that he didn’t want any discussion, and proceeded to shut the office door in my face.
I reopened the door and again I repeated that I was not going to pay for a defective room that never should have been rented in the first place.
He again told me that he didn’t want to discuss the matter further, and he added, “If you don’t like it, you can leave any time you want.”
I took my luggage and left for good.
The above is the true story, and the reason why I am contesting the charges.

(Signed)

PS: Enclosed are 4 photos representing the above situation.

Photo # 1 - Towels used to sponge bedroom floor.
Photo # 2 - Fixed shower head. Not swivel.
Photo # 3 - Blanket used to go in bathroom once floor was reasonably dry.
Photo # 4 - Bedroom wall plaster damaged by previous floor flooding."

Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2005

I have just returned from the Tonfoni where the rooms were very basic but clean and had a superb air-conditioning unit. People writing reviews saying the hotel is terrible have obviously only been on a bed and breakfast basis. We were half board and had some of the best authentic food ever-5 courses with the cheese course served before the dessert and fruit courses which is the correct way in Italy, but hardly ever done in tourist resorts. On our last day we ate Lunch there 6 courses this time (paid extra highly recommendeed) If you want to spend all your time in your room don't go to the Tonfoni but if you want a clean room with fab food at 48euros Half Board you won't find better. When you read the reviews on the Tonfoni notice that the only positive ones come from the Italians themselves-the reason I booked the hotel-I disregarded all the negative ones. Oh and parking is FREE and the manager and his family are friendly.

• Stayed September 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2005

My daughter and I booked hotel Tonfoni on the internet with Expedia costing 75 euros per night. On our arrival we were greeted by a dingy, dirty and uninviting exterior, which was situated in a dull side street. This immediately gave us a bad vibe. The star rating stated that the hotel was a three star. As we then entered the hotel our suspicions were confirmed. We then went to our room which matched my judgment of the exterior. The room had extremely basic amities and was more like a one star than a three star, basically it was very depressing and horrible.
We immediately went to see other hotels in the vicinity, which were of similar prices and they where much more desirable. We found a lovely four star which was 100 euros per night which had excellent facilities.
On our return to the Tonfoni hotel I had an in depth discussion with the manager who insisted we pay the price of one nights accommodation, even though we had not used the room. We were disappointed with the service and we had to still pay 75euros for not using the room. I was prepared to pay 35 euros and leave, but the manager would not accept.
We would like to warn others of this.

Been to Hotel Tonfoni? Share your experiences!